• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford didn’t want to come to the Panthers

raleigh-panther

8 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I want a young QB, and that contract, use that additional cap over the next 3 years to field the best team possible. 

Truly the draft is the best way to go for US. #8 is high enough to get A QB.

People are stuck on this guy and that guy but Jake Dolhomme almost won us a Superbowl.

Pick a QB that you think will be better than a Jake. After surgery Jake just wasn't the same. Avoid QBs who have already been surgically repaired and I think we're good.

THIS draft is full of guys that fit that description. Physical freaks like Lance or Trask may be there at 8 or after 8.

This QB rich draft has quite a bit of potential starters. We could go BPA @8 (defense) and still pick up a good/great young QB by moving up into the mid-bottom of the first with a trade of picks/players.

We could come out on top of all this, but will they do what's logical? Not sure.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can read the full story of the negotiations in the link. It says Stafford preferred the Rams but didn't decline or nix going to Carolina.

Peter King and others have also confirmed that Stafford had a preference (King saying he was "more keen" on the Rams than the Panthers and others) but nobody's said anything about him not wanting to come here.

PFT isn't always wrong but they're not the best source. Breer is a far superior source for anything behind the scenes.

appreciate the effort however No need to convince me about Breet or anyone else as I didn’t say it 

chris Simms said  directly that he had a close contact connection with Stafford  who said ‘Stafford didn’t want to come to Carolina ‘

Edited by raleigh-panther

Just now, raleigh-panther said:

appreciate the effort hiwevet No need to convince me about Breet or anyone else as I didn’t say it 

chris Simms said  directly that he had a close contact connection with Stafford  who said ‘Stafford didn’t want to come to Carolina ‘

I get that.

Simms is full of sh-t on this one though.

The 8 alone was too much for Stafford. 

The report also said SF and Indy both balked at including this year's FRP. So two very competent front offices were not willing to part with the 12th nor the 21st picks, respectively..... 

But we were willing to give up the 8th AND another asset beyond that. Scary.

I really hope Rhule and Fitterer can reel in Tepper, as this seems like a Tepper "I want what I want and I don't care about pricetags" kind of move.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I get that.

Simms is full of sh-t on this one though.

Yep. If the snip of the clip  pops up today  I’ll share it 

I think it is far better for the Panthers to draft their own QBs and groom him their way anyway  as I’m not sure how veterans view their career with a staff that has done nothing    Just fact  not criticism 

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I really hope Rhule and Fitterer can reel in Tepper, as this seems like a Tepper "I want what I want and I don't care about pricetags" kind of move.

If this was the case we would've landed Stafford. We had a price we were willing to pay and when the bidding exceeded it we bowed out. Nothing wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

The 8 alone was too much for Stafford. 

The report also said SF and Indy both balked at including this year's FRP. So two very competent front offices were not willing to part with the 12th nor the 21st picks, respectively..... 

But we were willing to give up the 8th AND another asset beyond that. Scary.

I'm pretty sure Fitterer was the guy negotiating this deal. Lions brass was actually in Mobile and so was Fitterer.

Rhule would have been occupied with coaching and has said he doesn't want to do the leg work on this stuff anyway. Fitterer probably talk to him about it but that's it.

24 minutes ago, Shocker said:

It was fairly clear he wanted to go to LA and the Rams give him a chance to win now.  Detroit with a classy move to do that IMO.

Maybe Deshaun believes he can revive this Panthers franchise.

Yes he could. He would, and already is a rockstar around here.

Houston should try to show some class. Nobody is just one player away from the Super bowl, move on.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not even talking about location. I'm talking about team situations. The Rams are an elite QB away from being a SB contender. We're probably an elite QB away from competing for a playoff berth. There's a big difference.

I'd say we're at least a quarterback and an offensive line away from that, and potentially more.

• Beer 1