• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stafford didn’t want to come to the Panthers

raleigh-panther

55 minutes ago, Zod said:

Of course he would have rather gone to a contender

People seem to be forgetting this when they whine this offseason. This team needs more than just a QB before it can hope to contend.

It's almost like they don't care that the rookie contracts allow the team to be built up so that a young QB can come in and be carried until the team sees whether or not they'll carry the team themselves which will allow the team to reflect that in the way that they allocate resources.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not even talking about location. I'm talking about team situations. The Rams are an elite QB away from being a SB contender. We're probably an elite QB away from competing for a playoff berth. There's a big difference.

I mean maybe.  It might be more appealing to just stafford. You know to go to a place where there is also another team. Where you compete to be the face of LA with a young more talented Herbert....while your taxes are sky high...and as beautiful as it is you cant do poo. Oh and you breathe in smoke from wildfires every year. 

That sounds way better then a place that also has good weather, and where the payroll checks are from SC so you keep millions more that also has mountains, beaches, golf, and there is more freedom.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We were highly competitive in all but two games this season. Swap out Teddy for Stafford and I absolutely think we would've been in the playoffs hunt.

We only have Paradis under contract, though. And even with Bridgewater having a quick release, the other guys not named Taylor Moton weren't all that great anyway.

Given what both our head coach and our new GM have said, I'm really hoping we make some strides on that front this year.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Fritters not looking very good so far. This would have been a massive fail for us. I don't have an issue with exploring options but the #8 for Stafford with our roster issues is concerning approach to roster building. 

It isn't like our top 10 picks recently have netted us franchise changing players, TBH.

Very good players but none that have changed the fortunes of the franchise. Other than perhaps Cam.

Edited by kungfoodude

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I mean maybe.  It might be more appealing to just stafford. You know to go to a place where there is also another team. Where you compete to be the face of LA with a young more talented Herbert....while your taxes are sky high...and as beautiful as it is you cant do poo. Oh and you breathe in smoke from wildfires every year. 

That sounds way better then a place that also has good weather, and where the payroll checks are from SC so you keep millions more that also has mountains, beaches, golf, and there is more freedom.

LMAO. Yes the Chargers have really competed for fans in LA.

The dude wants to win. The Rams are set to win. This guy just lived in Detroit....you think that Southern California is gonna scare him off? Yeah, sign me up for that kind of weather.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

It isn't like our top 10 picks recently have netted us franchise changing players, TBH.

Very good players but none that have changed the fourtunes of the franchise. Other than perhaps Cam.

I'm not concerned with what they netted when Hutney was involved. If this guy thinks a 30+ QB is the missing piece to this roster then I feel confident saying I have serious ongoing concerns about our new GM. Different circumstances and it would be a viable option, not with ours.

53 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

0 playoff wins 

10-59 against playoff teams the worst ever (Shannon just brought this stat up on the show) 

yeah idk why we would offer up number 8 for what ? 4 years at most for an above average QB ? 

panthers not getting him will be a blessing in disguise. 

Welcome to the hype machine that starts each year right before the Super Bowl. It's a time when qualities are over-stated and a handful of teams will rush headlong into a purchasing frenzy in an effort to win the off-season title early while two other teams compete for the Lombardi Trophy.

It's like the people who get their tax return check and immediately head to Crazy Kevin Powell's Used Car Emporium to buy a BMW. Later on they find out that the schweet ride has a bad transmission, there's something inside that is definitely not new car scent and that the interest rates are murderous. Fools and their money...

I like Stafford as a player and I think there's some tread on those tires still, but man, they wayyyy overpaid for him. It sounds like we almost did, too.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

There comes a point where the money is just a way to keep score. More of it isn't going to do anything to change your lifestyle. Personally, I wouldn't want anything to do with L.A. but depending on your preferences it's very easy to understand why someone would choose L.A. over Charlotte. They're very different places and honestly, after living in CO for 14 years and coming back to NC this past summer, the weather here fuging sucks. Hot as balls with sky high humidity all summer and way too many gloomy days in the winter. People who race about Charlotte weather haven't lived somewhere with actual good weather. Yeah, it's better than Buffalo, but there's a lot of other places with a lot better weather.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'm not concerned with what they netted when Hutney was involved. If this guy thinks a 30+ QB is the missing piece to this roster then I feel confident saying I have serious ongoing concerns about our new GM. Different circumstances and it would be a viable option, not with ours.

I think the concern is having an NFL caliber starting QB. Make no mistake, Matt Stafford is a top 10 NFL QB. Those don't grow on trees.

It isn't likely we obtain one of those at #8. It is actually pretty unlikely that happens.

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Welcome to the hype machine that starts each year right before the Super Bowl. It's a time when qualities are over-stated and a handful of teams will rush headlong into a purchasing frenzy in an effort to win the off-season title early while two other teams compete for the Lombardi Trophy.

It's like the people who get their tax return check and immediately head to Crazy Kevin Powell's Used Car Emporium to buy a BMW. Later on they find out that the schweet ride has a bad transmission, there's something inside that is definitely not new car scent and that the interest rates are murderous. Fools and their money...

I like Stafford as a player and I think there's some tread on those tires still, but man, they wayyyy overpaid for him. It sounds like we almost did, too.

Remember when people said that about Tom Brady this past offseason......

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I think the concern is having an NFL caliber starting QB. Make no mistake, Matt Stafford is a top 10 NFL QB. Those don't grow on trees.

It isn't likely we obtain one of those at #8. It is actually pretty unlikely that happens.

Stafford is the peice that gets a playoff fridge team over thr hump or new staff hired. We are not even a fringe playoff team and trading for an old QB vs finding a young on to build around is my concern. Maybe that's how this will go, I just think it's a crap option.

Whenever QB Wins is brought up, I typically start ignoring the entire conversation.

I am not sure there is a more over rated stat in the NFL.

We will sit here and probably all agree the Lions have been a horribly run franchise.  We will cite the early retirement of Megatron and Barry Sanders.

But when it comes to Stafford..why didn't he win all those games?!  Clearly a bad QB.  Nothing to do with the horrible front office and coaching in Detroit that we all agree that exists.  He should have overcome all that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 6