• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Joe Marino Mock

kungfoodude

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-marino-5.0

Interesting one here with a blockbuster trade between the Texans, Dolphins and 49ers. This also results in the top 4 picks being the top 4 QB's.

Not great news for us but I did actually like our first three picks: Penei Sewell, Alex Leatherwood and Chazz Surratt. Huge upgrades along the OL and a guy that should be in the two deep from day one in our maligned LB corps. 

13 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I like the picks as well, 3 solid starters. I'm assuming that we move Leatherwood to RT and let Moton walk in this scenario. Or do we slide him to LG? 2 rookie tackles would be a lot to wish on anyone, even Teddy.

I think a lot of what transpires with Moton really will have to do with what the market is. We'll know that before we ever hit the draft, unless we decide to tag him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rashawn Slater being drafted by the Bengals over Penei Sewell, though? 🤔

I'm genuinely curious how some of these guys taking the year off will move their stock. Guys like Chase, Sewell, Slater, Lance, Parsons and Rousseau all missed a year of development but on the flip side put one less year of wear and tear on their bodies.

I have a feeling this years draft will be wild with private meetings greatly inflating the stock of guys teams fall in love with.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

I like the picks as well, 3 solid starters. I'm assuming that we move Leatherwood to RT and let Moton walk in this scenario. Or do we slide him to LG? 2 rookie tackles would be a lot to wish on anyone, even Teddy.

Some people believe that Leatherwood might be better playing inside.  If Moton stays, O-line looks solid.  If he leaves, well the pick is even better.

• Beer 1

I recently posted that it is possible that the first 4 picks are QBs.  The niners?  Big market team getting aggressive while the small market teams sit back--most mocks go that way.

OK, let's say we did get these 2 OL.  (I want Myers or Humphries in the second round, by the way.  Myers has time at G and can play there for a season beside Paradis.) but lets say we get Leatherwood and Surratt as well.  I agree that would be a heck of a draft. 

Ok, so what to do about QB?  Darnold would be available, I would think.  The Patriots get their QB (Jones).  Here is what we need to do--stop looking at wins and losses and stats--look at skill sets.  If this happens, I would go after Darnold and hope that the blocking and the WRs weaponry would make him better--but I bet Robby Anderson has some opinions on Darnold.  I still say this:  If you can't get a QB, trade back, add a first rounder in 2022.  Then you have the capital to get a QB in 2022. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:03 AM, kungfoodude said:

I think a lot of what transpires with Moton really will have to do with what the market is. We'll know that before we ever hit the draft, unless we decide to tag him.

The big issue its a buyers market. I want badly to resign Moton, tag is 13ish million.... that hurts with buying in the buyers market... Soon I will stop, but fuging Herniay could have resigned both Moton and Samuel(called that before week 1) for fair deals before both increased their markets. Fittererer needs to sign Moton with a low year one cap number and go hardcore shopping in the buyers market. Id also see what type market Moton had with the tag and trade market, he needs to wait on signing the tag for that to work. If someone loves Moton and willing to let a mid-2nd(at worst) pick for him.....maybe...

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

The big issue its a buyers market. I want badly to resign Moton, tag is 13ish million.... that hurts with buying in the buyers market... Soon I will stop, but fuging Herniay could have resigned both Moton and Samuel(called that before week 1) for fair deals before both increased their markets. Fittererer needs to sign Moton with a low year one cap number and go hardcore shopping in the buyers market. Id also see what type market Moton had with the tag and trade market, he needs to wait on signing the tag for that to work. If someone loves Moton and willing to let a mid-2nd(at worst) pick for him.....maybe...

Well, we don't know that it is a buyer's market yet. The QB market makes it seem like an extreme market but we haven't seen how that is going to shake out for the rest of the position groups. I think this is a biggest QB market we might have ever seen(TBD with guys like Dak, Watson, Carr, Wentz, etc). 

16 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, we don't know that it is a buyer's market yet. The QB market makes it seem like an extreme market but we haven't seen how that is going to shake out for the rest of the position groups. I think this is a biggest QB market we might have ever seen(TBD with guys like Dak, Watson, Carr, Wentz, etc). 

Its almost a forgone conclusion about it being a buyers market. Cap should be 180-185(my guess is 182.3), we already know which teams will be over. Plenty of vets will be cut and not much money to go around. Close to a 10% cut off the 2020 cap, thats huge. Elite will/have get paid, but others will be hit hard. Its the main reason for the QBs switching teams, they dont want to pay those 30+ million salaries. 

Trying up 13 million in one player would greatly limit your options in that type of market, so I understand why there maybe some pause for tagging Moton. You may need to pick between tagging Moton or signing 3 good players.