• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We may have checked on Wentz

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They might have to do it sooner rather than later.

There's a lot of chatter about the Patriots trading for Marcus Mariota.

Interesting thought, Jimmy G is the preferred guy for the Pats and Maiota ends up with the 49ers.  It's a great fit for the players and teams alike.  Mariota could be really good in Shanahan's offense, shades from his Oregon days.

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Interesting thought, Jimmy G is the preferred guy for the Pats and Maiota ends up with the 49ers.  It's a great fit for the players and teams alike.  Mariota could be really good in Shanahan's offense, shades from his Oregon days.

I know the general belief is that the Raiders have decided firmly against trading Derek Carr.

Shame. That's a trade I could have gotten on board with.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, Fitts said we'd be in on every deal. It never hurts to call and check the temperature. Honestly, that may have been done before we really even did our homework on Wentz and fully broke down his tape from last season. Why bother if you know the price tag is more than you're willing to pay?

I am digging the F.O. approach this off season so far.  Have been a player in all QB moves but have been smart with the offers.  It's a calculated and measured response to an obvious need but not being reactive and desperate.  Let the Rams,Bears and others overpay for retreads.  

• Pie 1

It genuinely baffles my mind that a team might offer something of value for Wentz. Philly has to be desperate to get rid of him and that terrible contract. There must be some kind of media manipulation to make it look like there's a bidding war for him. They talked about a trade being imminent before the super bowl and yet there still is none. Why? Because no one is offering anything close to what they hoped I'm sure. 

I mean this with all sincerity; the only way I would even consider a Wentz trade is if the deal involved sending Teddy and GETTING at least a day 2 pick (2nd or 3rd). I'm not stupid to think Philly would actually do that but any other scenario and I'm getting the hell out of that. Getting Wentz adds $25 million to our 2021 cap. Even with trading Teddy back, our cap hit goes up by $15 million. Good luck building an offensive line for Wentz. We saw how abysmal he looked under pressure last year. At least Teddy would check down or pull the ball down and run for 4 yards. For kicks let's even compare their stats on a per game basis in 2020:

Wentz: 57.4% completions, 241.3 total yards (218.3 passing), 1.75 total tds (1.33 passing), 1.25 int, 0.83 fumbles, 4.2 sacks taken.

Bridgewater: 69.1% completions, 267.5 total yards (248.9 passing), 1.33 total tds (1 passing), 0.73 int, 0.4 fumbles, 2.1 sacks taken.

Don't get me wrong. I want to upgrade from Teddy. It's just not objectively clear that the current version of Wentz actually accomplishes that.

7 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

It genuinely baffles my mind that a team might offer something of value for Wentz. Philly has to be desperate to get rid of him and that terrible contract. There must be some kind of media manipulation to make it look like there's a bidding war for him. They talked about a trade being imminent before the super bowl and yet there still is none. Why? Because no one is offering anything close to what they hoped I'm sure. 

I mean this with all sincerity; the only way I would even consider a Wentz trade is if the deal involved sending Teddy and GETTING at least a day 2 pick (2nd or 3rd). I'm not stupid to think Philly would actually do that but any other scenario and I'm getting the hell out of that. Getting Wentz adds $25 million to our 2021 cap. Even with trading Teddy back, our cap hit goes up by $15 million. Good luck building an offensive line for Wentz. We saw how abysmal he looked under pressure last year. At least Teddy would check down or pull the ball down and run for 4 yards. For kicks let's even compare their stats on a per game basis in 2020:

Wentz: 57.4% completions, 241.3 total yards (218.3 passing), 1.75 total tds (1.33 passing), 1.25 int, 0.83 fumbles, 4.2 sacks taken.

Bridgewater: 69.1% completions, 267.5 total yards (248.9 passing), 1.33 total tds (1 passing), 0.73 int, 0.4 fumbles, 2.1 sacks taken.

Don't get me wrong. I want to upgrade from Teddy. It's just not objectively clear that the current version of Wentz actually accomplishes that.

You have to look back at what he used to be. Then remember that both of the teams who are looking at him have coaches who were in Philly when he was good and likely believe they can make him that way again.

The Panthers must really not like Teddy to actually go for Wentz. 
IMHO: Teddy > Wentz 

yeah I know that is not saying much but Wentz has shown nothing since his rookie year. 

If the Panthers are that far down on Teddy, his acquisition has to go down as an all time top 10 worst free agent signings