• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Falcons GM calls bringing in quarterbacks "an offseason priority"

Mr. Scot

5 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

If they want to rebuild, they are pretty much stuck with Ryan and Jones next year.  In 2022 they could get out from under both.  It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than hanging onto them.  They could part ways with Ryan but hang onto Julio, depending on how 2021 goes.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

I mean in comparison to a dead cap hit of 49 million (!!!!!!) this year, I suppose 26 mill is chump change. That would still be far and away the biggest dead cap hit a team has EVER paid for a player to get cut

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, SOJA said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

I mean in comparison to a dead cap hit of 49 million (!!!!!!) this year, I suppose 26 mill is chump change. That would still be far and away the biggest dead cap hit a team has EVER paid for a player to get cut

Their situation reminds me of an old Three Stooges short.  Our three heroes are on a golf course, and it is covered in huge digits from their efforts.  The greenskeeper comes out screaming at them, and Moe's response was for him to relax, they were getting better......the pieces are getting smaller.

It is a heck of a predicament.  He costs them almost $42M of cap to keep in 2022, and "only" $26.5M to cut loose.

The 2021 and 2022 numbers are major reasons I believe they may try one more run with Ryan and Julio.  Julio's numbers in 2022 are less ominous ($19.25M cap hit/$15.5M dead money) but still not trivial.  

Apparently, they thought all this was Monopoly money.  His contract would make Hurney proud.

• Pie 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

its over

better prep yourself to hear roger goodell say "panthers select: micah parsons, off the ball linebacker, penn state"

I can't see it happening. I really think that if it's not a QB we're going to trade down and accumulate pickup more picks. Outside chance of taking a LT or CB, but I think trade down would be the most likely scenario. Rumor is that Rhule wanted to trade down last year. Fitts comes from the Seahawks who love trading down.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't see it happening. I really think that if it's not a QB we're going to trade down and accumulate pickup more picks. Outside chance of taking a LT or CB, but I think trade down would be the most likely scenario. Rumor is that Rhule wanted to trade down last year. Fitts comes from the Seahawks who love trading down.

I think we trade down in all honesty.   Board going to be obsessed with that Washington game even more so going forward as it gets clearer that the top 4 QBs all go before our #8 pick. 

I’m mentally preparing for another Teddy season in all honesty.   Which will be bad.  Because he will know he isn’t wanted and we got no choice. 

now back to numbing those painful thoughts with delusional Watson posts.

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think we trade down in all honesty.   Board going to be obsessed with that Washington game even more so going forward as it gets clearer that the top 4 QBs all go before our #8 pick. 

I’m mentally preparing for another Teddy season in all honesty.   Which will be bad.  Because he will know he isn’t wanted and we got no choice. 

now back to numbing those painful thoughts with delusional Watson posts.

I don't think it'll be Teddy. We'll trade for a Minshew or sign a Trubisky before we roll Teddy back out there again IMO. That bridge was burned so long ago the coals have grown cold.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it'll be Teddy. We'll trade for a Minshew or sign a Trubisky before we roll Teddy back out there again IMO. That bridge was burned so long ago the coals have grown cold.

I personally just don't see it w/ Teddy's contract being what it is.  Seems pointless wasting all that cap space on mediocre QBs.   You're going to have a 20 million cap hit w/ Teddy and then go pay Mitch? Why? 

Panthers botched this IMO.  We needed to be prepared for the fact Teddy likely would need to do what he was brought in to do.....play 2 seasons while we figure out the QB situation.  Bad job by the FO IMO. 

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I personally just don't see it w/ Teddy's contract being what it is.  Seems pointless wasting all that cap space on mediocre QBs.   You're going to have a 20 million cap hit w/ Teddy and then go pay Mitch? Why? 

Panthers botched this IMO.  We needed to prepared for the fact Teddy likely would need to do what he was brought in to do.....play 2 seasons while we figure out the QB situation.  Bad job by the FO IMO. 

Oh, we definitely botched it. I think trading a mid-round pick for Minshew and his cheap contract would be most likely. Better than Teddy. Minimal cap impact.

I hate being right when it hurts the Panthers. I was pissed about the Teddy signing from day one. I have no clue why we expected anything other than exactly what we got.

I would've been much happier about drafting Herbert and being dead wrong about him.

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Their situation reminds me of an old Three Stooges short.  Our three heroes are on a golf course, and it is covered in huge digits from their efforts.  The greenskeeper comes out screaming at them, and Moe's response was for him to relax, they were getting better......the pieces are getting smaller.

It is a heck of a predicament.  He costs them almost $42M of cap to keep in 2022, and "only" $26.5M to cut loose.

The 2021 and 2022 numbers are major reasons I believe they may try one more run with Ryan and Julio.  Julio's numbers in 2022 are less ominous ($19.25M cap hit/$15.5M dead money) but still not trivial.  

Apparently, they thought all this was Monopoly money.  His contract would make Hurney proud.

The problem with Ryan and Jones numbers for this year is right now they are about 30 million over the cap.  If they take some of the base salary and turn it into signing bonus, which is the easy way to cheat the cap, it makes them even harder to cut in 22 or 23 because they will have more dead money involved.  

So the Falcons need to free up about 30 million while not touching Ryan's or Jones contract so they can cut them in 22 or 23.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, bababoey said:

The problem with Ryan and Jones numbers for this year is right now they are about 30 million over the cap.  If they take some of the base salary and turn it into signing bonus, which is the easy way to cheat the cap, it makes them even harder to cut in 22 or 23 because they will have more dead money involved.  

So the Falcons need to free up about 30 million while not touching Ryan's or Jones contract so they can cut them in 22 or 23.  Good luck.

Absolutely.  That really shows up when you look at their cap numbers, and then look at the number of players they have signed to get to that cap number.  They appear to be in $42M better shape than the Saints next year, but they also have 16 fewer players in their number.  Factoring in number of players vs. cap, they are arguably in the second worst shape of anybody (behind the Saints). 

Nobody has fewer players signed for 2021 than the Falcons, and the next lowest is Tampa at 44 (Atlanta has 42).  The difference is the Bucs are in the black by almost $28M vs. the cap, instead of $23M in the red.

So, they have to cut their losses while adding players to the overall number.  They are pretty far under water to pull that off.