• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

La Canfora on Tepper's desire for Watson/franchise QB

top dawg

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

Why stop there though? If you're Houston and trading away Watson and I'm offering 3 1sts, 3 2nds, Burns, CMC, and Donte Jackson but not including DJ Moore, Chinn and the next 3 3rd round picks too, are you taking my offer seriously? I mean you're not offering every single valuable asset you have? What kind of fool do you make me out to be?!  How dare the Texans even consider an offer including 3 1sts and a promising young pass rusher in Gross-Matos. Get out of here with that weak crap.

Actually, if you're making anything close to that kind of offer, my reaction is I'm wondering how in the hell you got to be an NFL GM.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If they wants Burns, my best offer is probably the 2021 and 2022 first and Burns. He's worth that third 1st rounder, the additional player and whatever BS picks you want to throw in. I'd consider putting other picks on the table if they take Teddy, which is probably extremely unreasonable considering their cap situation. 

Not saying you are right or wrong but they would probably turn your best offer down.

The #2 overall from the Jets this year would probably be more appealing by itself.

If we called the Jets ourself and offered that for their pick they probably wouldn’t take it. 

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Watson is already rich

...imagine being an ego maniac....and  entire nation is talking about the joke FO/owner situation they created? 

the NBA mentality is coming to the NFL.   Only a matter of time.  Unavoidable. 

By your standards he is -- by NFL QB standards, not at all.

McNair clearly doesn't care.

I don't believe so, but it is possible. 

As it relates to "the NBA mentality" this case with Watson is of landmark status --- I suspect other owners are counseling McNair to not allow precedent to be set here.

A couple of first to land Watson while keeping later rounds picks with plenty of cap space after next season is well worth the risk. And this is coming from someone who is always against trading away first rounder picks. I normally hate the thought of even considering it. 

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Not saying you are right or wrong but they would probably turn your best offer down.

The #2 overall from the Jets this year would probably be more appealing by itself.

If we called the Jets ourself and offered that for their pick they probably wouldn’t take it. 

You have to be out of your mind if you think Brian Burns, the 8th pick and the Panthers 2022 1st rounder isn't enough for pick 2. Any GM who would trade all of that for the 2nd pick would rightly never work anywhere within a billion miles of an NFL front office. I shudder to think anyone would even consider that trade for the Panthers, let alone think it's not enough. 

• Beer 2

According to Google, Deshaun Watson's net worth  is 24 mil! I mean, I know he wants as much as he can get (like anyone), but that's "F.U. money" too! Pardon my candidness, but as a man who believes in principles, do you think I'd be pressed to work for a lying, white, racist motherfuger if I was a multimillionaire?  I don't think so, and I'd make it very hard for the old sumbitch in more ways than one!

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

They'd be completely insane to not take that deal. A move down to 8, another first and an elite pass rusher on a rookie deal for the #2 overall pick? Yeah, you are really overvaluing that pick by a massive margin. 

I am not saying Houston wouldn't turn down my hypothetical Burns offer but any deal involving Burns is going to have to knock that starting price down. A LOT. I have no issues making a trade but there is no reason to trade a player of his caliber away and then give them a boatload of draft picks that absolutely remove any and all ability we would have to replace him. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

By season's end, we were runningback by committee.

Regardless of what you think of McCaffrey, the notion that he was replaceable by Mike Davis is beyond silly. Davis isn't anything even remotely close to the weapon that McCaffrey is.

I think CMC is the best RB in the NFL.    And JAGs paid pennies did a good job in his absence.  Same was seen when Bell sat out.  

CMC likely had his best individual season of his career in 2019.  We won 5 games in 2019.  Same amount we won without him this year.  

Paying RBs is a lesson we never have learned.  Yes, CMC is great.  Double Trouble was the best duo in the NFL too.  But RBs don't actually win you games in the big picture.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

They'd be completely insane to not take that deal. A move down to 8, another first and an elite pass rusher on a rookie deal for the #2 overall pick? Yeah, you are really overvaluing that pick by a massive margin. 

I am not saying Houston wouldn't turn down my hypothetical Burns offer but any deal involving Burns is going to have to knock that starting price down. A LOT. I have no issues making a trade but there is no reason to trade a player of his caliber away and then give them a boatload of draft picks that absolutely remove any and all ability we would have to replace him. 

I see this as a way more reasonable take than the folks who are willing to just basically hand over a blank check.

2 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I think it was Schefter who reported that Watson said he grew up poor, he has managed his money well and can live off of little. He would be prepared to sit out. 

He has enough money to live comfortably for the remainder of his life. As long as he doesn't do foolish things with it or take unwarranted risks investing it, he shouldn't have to work another day if he so chooses. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

By season's end, we were runningback by committee.

Regardless of what you think of McCaffrey, the notion that he was replaceable by Mike Davis is beyond silly. Davis isn't anything even remotely close to the weapon that McCaffrey is.

Those choices don’t happen in a vacuum though.  Mike Davis might not be as good but he saves you around $10m that can be spent elsewhere.

$15m RB and $2m LT or $2m RB and $15m LT? 

It is  a lot easier to find a late round RB with good production than a OT or DE.  Same in free agency. 

• Beer 1

Just now, CRA said:

I think CMC is the best RB in the NFL.    And JAGs paid pennies did a good job in his absence.  Same was seen when Bell sat out.  

CMC likely had his best individual season of his career in 2019.  We won 5 games in 2019.  Same amount we won without him this year.  

Paying RBs is a lesson we never have learned.  Yes, CMC is great.  Double Trouble was the best duo in the NFL too.  But RBs don't actually win you games in the big picture.  

I'm not necessarily in favor of his contract (and given who wrote it that shouldn't be a surprise) but anytime I see someoneone talking about him like he's just a runningback, I make a mental note that this person doesn't know football.