• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was the Gettleman's 2017 draft class the best in Panthers history?

hepcat

Id take 2001 all DAY. Steve is a HOFer, holds every panther WR record, and had a triple crown. Kris in his prime was maybe the best DLmen in the league. Dan was Luke with concussions. Wenikie was a decent QB as a career backup type. Cooper was a ST ace and rounded out this pool. 

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

The thing to remember here, JR did not hire and fire people based on results.

Sure DG might not have lasted, maybe he should of stuck around until JR was gone...hell we’d be a couple years ahead of the JR, HC, GM and Cam were all replaced at the same time.

Could’ve even been McD and Beane here instead.

Biggest failure here not learning when to let go, something DG had down. 

Anyone who has followed this team for a while knows the dumbass Kalil signing was a pure JR ‘family’ move appeasing his fan favorites. Such an erratic move that conflicted with everything and anything DG did and his style made that painfully obvious.

Oh well spilled milk. At least the new tenure seems to finally catch the hint that moving on quick from failure is important and things don’t need to be dragged out.

Sorry but that Kalil narrative is a load of poo.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Sorry but that Kalil narrative is a load of poo.

You must live a tough life not being able to read between the lines, especially now days. Even as obvious as it was, this was already theoreticized by a lot of analysts at the time. I’m sorry it’s beyond you.

Word was that Big Cat pined for CMC so there is that

I was personally totally sold on CMC so that was a no brainer to me.  Samuel was a great pick IMO.

The draft last year was really good too IMO.

2001 was tops for me

Edited by Shocker

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

You must live a tough life not being able to read between the lines, especially now days. Even as obvious as it was, this was already theoreticized by a lot of analysts at the time. I’m sorry it’s beyond you.

Huddle analysts or professional ones? There is a substantial difference.

Just now, Shocker said:

Yes he has...drafted well.  As a GM he failed overall but he has hit at a good rate drafting.  This is fact.

No it isn't, unless you're looking at the first round only.

At the very least, you ought to be able to hit in the second round. Marty did that what, once?

Marty's drafts from 2009 forward were especially bad, and "2.0" wasn't good either.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No it isn't, unless you're looking at the first round only.

At the very least, you ought to be able to hit in the second round. Marty did that what, once?

Marty's drafts from 2009 forward were especially bad, and "2.0" wasn't good either.

Yeah, you are wrong.  I would suggest you don't get too involved with this argument without twitter and your “sources”.

BTW...the first round matters...a lot.

Edited by Shocker

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry. Don't care how good the player is. A draft that only nets you one player is a sh-tty draft.

3 winning seasons out of 9.

Cam was a phenomenal pick, but he should be a cautionary tale to those that somehow believe giving away the farm for a franchise QB will result in a better outcome.  Football is still a team sport and one player no matter how good can't singlehandedly overcome bad drafts or weak rosters.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Yeah, you are wrong.  I would suggest you don't get too involved with this argument without twitter and your “sources”.

BTW...the first round matters...a lot.

Only source I need is the Panthers draft history.

2011 for example. Not a single player outside of Cam Newton was worth sh-t.

Trading a future first rounder for Everette Brown and the 33rd overall pick for Armanti Edwards?

Putting a first round grade on Greg Little?

Not only drafting Jimmy Clausen but trying to trade up for him?

Drafting guys like Rashaan Gaulden, Will Grier, Sione Fua, Terrell McClain, Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin in the third?

I could go on...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2