• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Be the judge of the film

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't give up on a franchise QB until you're sure he isn't salvageable and now we're seeing why that is. They don't exactly grow on trees.

You still should be always looking.

Hell how many QBs has Belicheck drafted in the top half of the draft with a healthy Brady? GB and Love and Rodgers before him...these teams have some forethought, Tepper did not.

Thats the whole point they don’t grow on trees. Meaning 1. Always should be looking. 2. It may take time. My main points.

And no I don’t count Hurney’s fetish for hometown hero’s (Grier).

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

Reading up on jones and watching more and more tape of him, it seems like he has a lot of the nuances of the QB position down (looking off defenders, maneuvering in the pocket, throwing with anticipation) but his physical skillset is limited compared to the other draft picks available (pudgy, unathletic, slow, average arm strength). The dude seems more cerebral than anything.

His skillset honestly transitions well to the NFL, however his limited physical skills hinder his potential due to the direction the NFL is trending with strong armed athletic QBs. 

I'm getting less and less upset at the idea of drafting him at 8, but he is still no where near the top of my wishlist for QBs. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

You still should be always looking.

Hell how many QBs has Belicheck drafted in the top half of the draft with a healthy Brady? GB and Love and Rodgers before him...these teams have some for thought, Tepper did not.

Thats the whole point they don’t grow on trees. Meaning 1. Always should be looking. 2. It may take time. My main points.

And no I don’t count Hurney’s fetish for hometown hero’s (Grier).

What QB did we have the opportunity to draft in '19? '20? Did you really want Jordan Love at #7? I sure as hell didn't.

2 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Me neither, but I would still rather do that than draft Mac Jones. Teddy is just another lost year, but Mac means at least half a decade of futility.

Not true. If Mac is truly butthole then we could turn around and draft a good QB the next season much like the cardinals did recently. The rookie pay scale makes it much easier to move on from bad QB's drafted in the first round. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Me neither, but I would still rather do that than draft Mac Jones. Teddy is just another lost year, but Mac means at least half a decade of futility.

I want no part of Mac Jones anywhere in the top 20-25 picks or so. He's a late 1st rounder at best IMO. Someone is gonna fall in love with him and convince themselves the physical limitations don't matter and reach, but honestly he probably should be there when we draft in the 2nd if sanity ruled draft rooms. 

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Not true. If Mac is truly butthole then we could turn around and draft a good QB the next season much like the cardinals did recently. The rookie pay scale makes it much easier to move on from bad QB's drafted in the first round. 

Yep. Jones being true ass might pave the way for a Sam Howell.

Like I said last year before the season started, Teddy isn't good enough to allow us to compete but he is just good enough to keep us out of range of a top QB in the draft and lo and behold, here we are...

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What QB did we have the opportunity to draft in '19? '20? Did you really want Jordan Love at #7? I sure as hell didn't.

Well the sentiment of always looking makes sense. Doesn’t mean you reach, I think it’s more so if there’s a guy only remaining on your top block and it’s a QB, and then everyone else is in your block 2 or 3, you should do it. 

I think that’s why you see these Love, Jimmy G, Mallett, Cousins type picks. These teams look at their boards very technically come draft and there’s a reason they map it out and they’re landing in a scenario where the pick makes sense to that room. Risk being worth the reward as well.

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

First of all the point is to look. I don’t believe the Panthers were even looking. Especially with the wear and tear put on Cam. People are willing to trade a poo ton for Watson and even to move up in this draft but those efforts to find a QB were 3 years removed from cam and 4 years removed from his first surgery...to me, that seems a little late considering the time it’ll take to find one.

Are those trades ‘opportunities’ or just scenarios we can go get our guy. Who is to say what ‘opportunities’ there was in the past either  in the draft or FA when the team wasn’t even looking with the same said efforts.

I could come up with a whole bunch or hypothetical, theoretical sceneries for the past had the Panthers been willing to give up what they will now, after the fact - it’s not the point.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

The videos are pretty good. The guy has a bit of a victim mentality sometimes “you guys say this, you guys say that, I don’t get it, blah blah blah”. But other than that, pretty good. Says Jones is the most pro ready, but in regards to his ceiling it depends on if he gets a Tom Brady like chip on his shoulder. And sure, if that happens maybe he’ll be great. But I’m not interested in Jones at 8 at all.

I also watched his Fields video. Pointed out a lot of the stuff I also saw, no reads at OSU (called OSU offense system trash lol), inaccurate at times, but a lot of good stuff as well. Before watching Jones and Lawrence he says his order is Lawrence, Wilson, Fields which is my order too. 

14 minutes ago, onmyown said:

First of all the point is to look. I don’t believe the Panthers were even looking. Especially with the wear and tear put on Cam. People are willing to trade a poo ton for Watson and even to move up in this draft but those efforts to find a QB were 3 years removed from cam and 4 years removed from his first surgery...to me, that seems a little late considering the time it’ll take to find one.

Are those trades ‘opportunities’ or just scenarios we can go get our guy. Who is to say what ‘opportunities’ there was in the past either  in the draft or FA when the team wasn’t even looking with the same said efforts.

I could come up with a whole bunch or hypothetical, theoretical sceneries for the past had the Panthers been willing to give up what they will now, after the fact - it’s not the point.

Who's to say we weren't looking? We drafted Grier in the 3rd. That's where the Pats were drafting QBs. They were drafting mid to late round guys, not high round picks. When. The Packers spent a 1st round pick on another QB, their current elite starter was in his late 30s and the opportunity presented itself. Cam was significantly younger and the opportunity didn't present itself.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We've reached the point of desperation. We see a Watson trade is increasingly unlikely to work out for us. We see there's more and more smoke that all of the "big four" QB prospects may well be gone by #8. So now we're grasping at straws trying to convince ourselves that a Mac Jones or Mitch Trubisky could actually be the answer.

Fug.

The Jones love has gotten insane.  There’s so much desperation for a QB on here that people think this is a good pick?  We want to dump Teddy due to physical limitations and people are saying we’ll draft Mac fuging Jones at 8?  Doesn’t make any sense.  

I don’t think the coaches want Jones.  They’re going big or going home, at least I hope so.  Mac Jones may end up being okay but he’s like a Chad Pennington type to me.  I want a playmaker.