• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OL Pat Elfein - 3 years, 13.5 million, 6 fully guaranteed

Varking

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

You would be making the assumption that our entire fan base is comprised of North Carolinians.

Yeah, it was a joke. 

But acting like we know more about a player than 2 different fan bases that have watched him play every Sunday is a bit silly. 

5 minutes ago, Kuhndog94 said:

Yeah, it was a joke. 

But acting like we know more about a player than 2 different fan bases that have watched him play every Sunday is a bit silly. 

Agreed although I will say Offensive linemen in particular can be vastly different players based on scheme/coaching (outside of the elite few). 

27 minutes ago, AppHeel said:

Jets fans probably thought we overpaid for Robby Anderson too

my first thought.  I'm willing to give any Jets player a chance.  They have been a train wreck in the coaching department.  If he turns out half as good as Robbie did, he'll be worth it.  If not, we didn't overspend.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Panthers get into legal tampering fast, agreeing to three-year $13.5 million deal with Jets OG Pat Elflein, Adam Schefter reported. Elflein started the final six games at LG last season, so he fills a big immediate need on the offensive line at right or left guard. Originally a third-round pick by Minnesota in 2017 out of Ohio State, where he also played center as a fifth-year senior.

walder_seth.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Seth WalderESPN Analytics 

Pat Elflein's pass block win rate at guard was 86.5% in 2020 -- that would have ranked 66th out of 71 players had he qualified. His PBWR at guard in 2019 was slightly lower, 85.9%. He also posted the worst run block win rate among qualifying guards in 2019. (ESPN / NFL Next Gen Stats)

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Both linemen -- OG Pat Elflein and OT Cam Erving -- that agreed to deals with the Panthers today have been with multiple teams. Both also have played multiple positions on the offensive line, so they can compete at different spots. Both are mid-level players who haven't excelled in the NFL, so it remains to be seen how much Carolina has upgraded the O-line at this point.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Breer...

I thought he WAS a C?

Dude won the Rimington Trophy in College and was named the Big Ten OLman of the Year (both 2016).

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Paradis - this is serious competition for him. 

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I thought he WAS a C?

Dude won the Rimington Trophy in College and was named the Big Ten OLman of the Year (both 2016).

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Paradis - this is serious competition for him. 

He was, but he's also played guard.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

The Vikings gave up on him only after a few seasons and drafted the center from NCSU, kicking Elfein to LG.  The Jets didn't think much of him apparently.

I mean they took 'that centre from NCSU' in the first round.

At that point you have to move Elflein off his position.