• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Update on Obada

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, uncfan888 said:

Doesn't make sense. He played well enough to earn that much. They're lowballing him

I would like to hear a legitimate explanation on this... Weatherly had like 6 career sacks, and we payed him to definitely be a contributor and potentially a starter and he did nothing.

Obada has been moved around on the line, never complained, and produced 5.5 sacks and a lot of pressures last year... it seems incredibly foolish...

I'm for mortgaging the farm for Watson, but to lay out that many resources for one guy only to lowball contributors we could keep at a reasonable rate is nuts

• Pie 1

Again, we paid Weatherly as a guy we thought could be a break out guy for absolutely nothing...

And Obada, whom this team developed and for whom Obada has done literally everything asked of him, gets nothing.

To me, Obada seems way closer to becoming a star than Weatherly ever did...  I like a lot of what Rhule has done, but nothing makes sense to me in terms of how they have treated Obada, including the incredibly dumb move of cutting him to latch on to that stiff from Philly that we ended up cutting a few weeks later...

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I would like to hear a legitimate explanation on this... Weatherly had like 6 career sacks, and we payed him to definitely be a contributor and potentially a starter and he did nothing.

Different GM this year, so old contracts are moot. (I'm with you on $2.1M being more than reasonable for Obada)

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, EgoDogg said:

Different GM this year, so old contracts are moot. (I'm with you on $2.1M being more than reasonable for Obada)

Yep, and new GMs frequently don't see players quite the same way prior GMs did.

Sometimes that's a good thing for the player, but often it's not.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Of all the freaking money this team has wasted on the likes of Matt Kalil, Eli Apple, Stephen Weatherly, etc., to penny pinch on guys like Obada and Kerr seems to be penny-wise and pound foolish...

From the outside looking in, $2.1M seems like an incredibly reasonable rate for Obada, a guy who had consistent effort and production last year.

Incoming signing with WFT or the Bills...

Because Obada really isn't that good.  He's a JAG.  I think he has a good story but he gets overhyped on this site.  He is easily replaceable.  He can't really play the edge full-time (hence why we slid him inside so much), but he's also an undersized 3T.  

I'm cool with re-signing him but lets not make it a bigger deal than it is in actuality.  Not to mention he's gonna be 30 years old.  In all likelihood it is far more likely he regresses than it is he progresses anytime soon.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

Because Obada really isn't that good.  He's a JAG.  I think he has a good story but he gets overhyped on this site.  He is easily replaceable.  He can't really play the edge full-time (hence why we slid him inside so much), but he's also an undersized 3T.  

I'm cool with re-signing him but lets not make it a bigger deal than it is in actuality.  Not to mention he's gonna be 30 years old.  In all likelihood it is far more likely he regresses than it is he progresses anytime soon.

I don't fully disagree with you, but I think his production last year was a little more than JAG. 5.5 sacks as an interior pass-rusher isn't nothing...

I get the fact that he is kind of a tweener... but some of that was b/c of the misguided 3-4 switch where the team asked him to gain weight...  I still think he might be best served as a true 4-3 end... Obada played inside a lot too b/c of the lack of depth there when Short went down...

Regardless, with the current cap and veteran minimum, $2.1M still doesn't seem like a stretch for that level of production...  again, Weatherly had 6 career sacks before last season and he was presented as a potential answer at DE... Obada had 5.5 playing mostly inside...

It's not my choice to make, but I can't agree with it...

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

2.1 mil is JAG money though

• Beer 1

Just now, Seltzer said:

I don't fully disagree with you, but I think his production last year was a little more than JAG. 5.5 sacks as an interior pass-rusher isn't nothing...

I get the fact that he is kind of a tweener... but some of that was b/c of the misguided 3-4 switch where the team asked him to gain weight...  I still think he might be best served as a true 4-3 end... Obada played inside a lot too b/c of the lack of depth there when Short went down...

Regardless, with the current cap and veteran minimum, $2.1M still doesn't seem like a stretch for that level of production...  again, Weatherly had 6 career sacks before last season and he was presented as a potential answer at DE... Obada had 5.5 playing mostly inside...

It's not my choice to make, but I can't agree with it...

I feel that.  Maybe JAG is the wrong word.  However he's still maxed out IMO.  I'd rather get younger depth at DE and a more traditional 3-tech to paper with Brown/Roy.  

20 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Of all the freaking money this team has wasted on the likes of Matt Kalil, Eli Apple, Stephen Weatherly, etc., to penny pinch on guys like Obada and Kerr seems to be penny-wise and pound foolish...

From the outside looking in, $2.1M seems like an incredibly reasonable rate for Obada, a guy who had consistent effort and production last year.

Incoming signing with WFT or the Bills...

There's a new accountant in town.  This is not your old Panthers buckle up.

• Pie 1