• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go on record. Who still wants Watson?

Sasquatch

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

#metoo era doesn’t seem to care if an offense was committed in present day or the past though does it? 

We will see.  Maybe you have faith in the NFL and major sports actually doing what is right despite essentially never doing the most bare bones possible.   

I certainly wouldn’t object to it.   Sports has a sad culture of almost aiding in a lot of really horrible things.  Would be nice if that gets broken.

I wouldn't say I have a lot of faith in the NFL, but given the missteps they've had (like with Ray Rice, for example) I think the public pressure on them is likely to be pretty intense.

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

Kobe couldn't escape and still can't escape his trial and even in death it is still very prevalent. So why is it in all these morality takes the discussion of Ben Roethlisberger is usually met with a shoulder shrug and a "yeah but..."? That privilege is real.

Kobe did escape it.  A large portion of young fans never even really new about it.  Fans in general forgot.  Didn’t care.   He became a NBA goat and beloved face of the sport.  

some people remembering doesn’t mean in practical terms he didn’t escape it. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't say I have a lot of faith in the NFL, but given the missteps they've had (like with Ray Rice, for example) I think the public pressure on them is likely to be pretty intense.

Kareem Hunt just got a contract extension last season.   NFL sadly knows their fan base pretty well IMO.

that’s a me too era contract.   And there was video on him.  

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Kobe couldn't escape and still can't escape his trial and even in death it is still very prevalent. So why is it in all these morality takes the discussion of Ben Roethlisberger is usually met with a shoulder shrug and a "yeah but..."? That privilege is real.

I would disagree in that he escaped it. He was generally widely accepted in the years after, especially after his retirement. I would also say his ore deal was far bigger than Big Ben’s because he was charged criminally and there was a very public trial for over year until the charges were dropped because the accuser wouldn’t testify. Nine of this is to say Kobe is worse than Big Ben or vice versa, or even that these guys weren’t different men in the years after their allegations, but there are reasons some of these get more attention than others.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even that's not on this level though.

The closest comparison you can probably make as far as scale is Darren Sharper.

Again.  I got no interest in comparing horrible thing to horrible thing and arguing which is worse 

he was on camera assaulting a woman.  He just inked a new deal this past season.  

The question is can the NFL step up and punish guys that can still play and make absurd money for people.   

Sharper was retired.  NFL did a good job hiding Kellen Winslow Jr and protecting him too....when he could play.  NFL likely could of prevented some of his crimes if they outed his insanity earlier.  Which we learned was apparently well known. 

• Beer 1

I have to be honest here. I would never condone predatorial behavior, nor do I advocate sexual abuse. However, I am positive that the term masseuse should be loosely affiliated with some of the ladies. This does show a character issue with Watson. So a rich, handsome, famous NFL player needs to resort to hiring “masseuse” for pleasure? I’m positive he would have no problem having any girl he wanted so I don’t understand the need to mess with masseuses. If this were Vegas and a bunny farm, no one would bat an eye. However, if you think I would fly someone from Atlanta to Houston to rub my quads, you are crazy, and I’m sure her suitcase was full of church clothes too. It is absolutely ridiculous. Who is the victim here? Furthermore, how many other NFL players are shaking in their boots over this ordeal, and if Watson shells out money, boom watch out. This will turn into the “you too” movement.

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Kobe did escape it.  A large portion of young fans never even really new about it.  Fans in general forgot.  Didn’t care.   He became a NBA goat and beloved face of the sport.  

Millions of women, I mean young teens still drool over Chris Brown. Seen more than few " Chris can beat me up all he wants, he fine!!!!! " Hes still making millions in the me too era, its still possible. Mark Wahlberg went racist thug mode on a FEW people and hes still making millions/has movie deals. 

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

10 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

I would disagree in that he escaped it. He was generally widely accepted in the years after, especially after his retirement. I would also say his ore deal was far bigger than Big Ben’s because he was charged criminally and there was a very public trial for over year until the charges were dropped because the accuser wouldn’t testify. Nine of this is to say Kobe is worse than Big Ben or vice versa, or even that these guys weren’t different men in the years after their allegations, but there are reasons some of these get more attention than others.

I will concede on younger generations overlooking it but don't mistake the NBA as a for profit business entity using the tragic circumstances of his passing as a money making opportunity as his reputation being permanently restored in the minds of most. Before the crash he was still very much a flawed figure and whispers of that trial still hung over him in many circles. In the social media age where everyone now has a voice his name is still attached to it. For every discussion where you see him mentioned you will eventually see that follow. The intent here certainly isn't to try and keep score or allude one instance is more serious or deserving of relevance than the next but in America some factors that shouldn't will always play a role in who is "forgiven" for transgressions and who isn't.

30 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I have to be honest here. I would never condone predatorial behavior, nor do I advocate sexual abuse. However, I am positive that the term masseuse should be loosely affiliated with some of the ladies. This does show a character issue with Watson. So a rich, handsome, famous NFL player needs to resort to hiring “masseuse” for pleasure? I’m positive he would have no problem having any girl he wanted so I don’t understand the need to mess with masseuses. If this were Vegas and a bunny farm, no one would bat an eye. However, if you think I would fly someone from Atlanta to Houston to rub my quads, you are crazy, and I’m sure her suitcase was full of church clothes too. It is absolutely ridiculous. Who is the victim here? Furthermore, how many other NFL players are shaking in their boots over this ordeal, and if Watson shells out money, boom watch out. This will turn into the “you too” movement.

You'd be wrong.

The credentials for the accusers are included within the lawsuits. Most of them are state licensed massage therapists. Some that aren't reportedly told Watson they didn't typically do massages but he hired them anyway.

As for the "but he's rich and handsome and can get any girl" defense, that's used by a fair number of rapists too. And the notion that only poor, ugly guys commit acts of this sort is heavily disproven.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You'd be wrong.

The credentials for the accusers are included within the lawsuits. Most of them are state licensed massage therapists. Some that aren't reportedly told Watson they didn't typically do massages but he hired them anyway.

As for the "but he's rich and handsome and can get any girl" defense, that's used by a fair number of rapists too. And the notion that only poor, ugly guys commit acts of this sort is heavily disproven.

That’s ok, my ex wife says I am wrong all of the time. Watson clearly has issues, but the shear number of complaints points to character assignation. I ask you Mr. Scot, if Watson never wanted to leave Houston, would we be having this conversation?

10 minutes ago, philit99 said:

That’s ok, my ex wife says I am wrong all of the time. Watson clearly has issues, but the shear number of complaints points to character assignation. I ask you Mr. Scot, if Watson never wanted to leave Houston, would we be having this conversation?

Yeah, we would.

The whole "McNair and/or the Texans did this to him" theory makes absolutely no sense. This in no way benefits the Texans, (and the suggestion that McNair just did it for spite is pretty dumb). Throw in that Watson's activities started long before he had any issues with the team.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1