• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Niners didn't trade to #2

Mr. Scot

From Albert Breer's latest MMQB...

The Niners have close ties to the Jets staff. Lynch and Jets GM Joe Douglas are friendly, and of course Shanahan is new Jets coach Robert Saleh’s old boss. The Niners did have some internal discussion on Sam Darnold. And in the process of vetting they figured that the Jets weren’t moving the second pick.

Could their mind be changed by a significant offer? Possibly, but it might need to be something ridiculous.

So what about us? Well, here's what Breer thinks...

As for where Darnold could wind up next? I’d keep an eye on Carolina and Pittsburgh. Darnold would represent a worthy, and affordable, dart to throw at the quarterback board if the Panthers are convinced the quarterbacks they’d want will be gone by the time they pick at eight (and Atlanta having the fourth pick doesn’t help them). 

And then there's this from Peter King (FMIA)

6) I doubt it will happen, but what if the Jets stick with Sam Darnold and auction the second pick? First: I hear Joe Douglas is standing firm and is not interested in trading the second pick. But I believe there could be one team left that is interested in moving up, even at a ridiculous cost. That is Carolina, picking eighth in the first round. The Jets have the second pick, and odds are good that they stay right there and pick BYU quarterback Zach Wilson. So the table has been set now. For someone to move up to get the second pick, even from six picks down, it would cost first-round picks this year plus in 2022 and 2023. Would Carolina be willing to do that? I bet the Panthers, who seem lukewarm on incumbent Teddy Bridgewater and who have an ultra-aggressive owner in David Tepper, would think hard about it. Such a trade with the Panthers would leave the Jets inebriated on first-round draft choices: two this year, three in 2022, two in 2023. I don’t see Douglas doing it, but he just might be tempted.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Honestly, I could get behind getting Darnold for peanuts and just continuing to build the rest of the roster. If we could get a solid LT at 8 and go BPA the rest of the draft and hit on another pick (or multiple) like we did with Chinn then we could be a playoff team with Darnold.

I would much rather this happen than gambling three firsts on Zach Wilson. The smart decision isn't usually the most fun one.

• Pie 9

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Honestly, I could get behind getting Darnold for peanuts and just continuing to build the rest of the roster. If we could get a solid LT at 8 and go BPA the rest of the draft and hit on another pick (or multiple) like we did with Chinn then we could be a playoff team with Darnold.

I think they will want more than peanuts, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Albert Breer's latest MMQB...

The Niners have close ties to the Jets staff. Lynch and Jets GM Joe Douglas are friendly, and of course Shanahan is new Jets coach Robert Saleh’s old boss. The Niners did have some internal discussion on Sam Darnold. And in the process of vetting they figured that the Jets weren’t moving the second pick.

Could their mind be changed by a significant offer? Possibly, but it might need to be something ridiculous.

So what about us? Well...

As for where Darnold could wind up next? I’d keep an eye on Carolina and Pittsburgh. Darnold would represent a worthy, and affordable, dart to throw at the quarterback board if the Panthers are convinced the quarterbacks they’d want will be gone by the time they pick at eight (and Atlanta having the fourth pick doesn’t help them). 

Unless the price tag is reasonable for Darnold now, we wait and let the first round play itself out.  We will be kicking ourselves in one of the "big 4" is there at #8 and we already have Darnold on the roster because we got overly anxious.

I think most of us agree that the Jets went out of their way to tank last year.  
You don’t tank for a OT or WR, you tank for a new QB.

They missed out on Trevor but I think they like QB2 enough to continue with the plan.

Personally I would think it would take an obscene offer for them to trade down.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I would much rather this happen than gambling three firsts on Zach Wilson. The smart decision isn't usually the most fun one.

I'd say the same thing about this that I did when we were talking about Watson.

If Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule think it's a good decision, then I could get on board.

If they don't, but David Tepper pushes them to do it anyway, I'm not comfortable with that.

The guy with the lowest amount of football knowledge in the room should not be the one dictating what we do.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If two say a 3rd then that means someone will probably have to give a second.

But not a high second. I assume who ever has the highest 3rd wins the trade. Unless somone can offer a low 2nd. At that point, additional picks get invovled as opposed to jumping in the earlier round.

Edited by TheCasillas