• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Houston police opening investigation on Deshaun Watson

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:
1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

He probably paid them off.  

Probably as much as the Texans paid off those women claiming wrongdoing just to get back at Watson for wanting to leave Houston. 

Exactly. 

The odds of either of those scenarios having actually taken place is zero percent. 

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

That's as relevant as finding a list of people who haven't been murdered. It means zero to those who are victims.

If it didn't have any relevancy as you suggest, then I doubt his lawyer would be mentioning it. One thing for sure that does matter is the character of Watson and the character of the accuser to determine who the victim really is.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

If it didn't have any relevancy as you suggest, then I doubt his lawyer would be mentioning it. One thing for sure that does matter is the character of Watson and the character of the accuser to determine who the victim really is.

Come one, use your brain. That goes literally nothing to refute any claims. It's PR

Edited by Moo Daeng

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

There is a term: Think like a lawyer! I'm thinking that you've never heard of it, but, that's OK, most haven't!

This isn't a case of "thinking like a lawyer" because per Florio (who was a lawyer) statements like this are inadmissible in court.

Plus common sense would tell you that even a hundred people saying "well, he didn't rape / murder / attack me" doesn't qualify as evidence that a defendant didn't do it to one.

This is purely for PR, but it also kind of backfired.

Florio pointed out that Watson being able to so easily produce the names of 18 masseuses who haven't accused him of anything undermines his claim that he has no idea who the others are. That besides raising the question "why does he need so many different masseuses".

16 hours ago, t96 said:

I think 1 claimed he forced a BJ, but the others were more along the lines of indecent exposure/harassment rather than assault/rape. Either way not good if true...

Actually at least three women have claimed that, and it might now be four.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The police are investigating this due to public pressure.  

Not really. Per the HPD statement, this is in response to an accuser filing a complaint with them.

What I haven't seen yet is whether the complaint is from one of the ones already working with Buzbee, the one working with a different lawyer, or somebody entirely new (that'd bring the number of accusers to 26 if that's the case).

Buzbee did say there are going to be more complaints filed, some with HPD and some with other agencies. The official lawsuits filed count is now 22.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This isn't a case of "thinking like a lawyer" because per Florio (who was a lawyer) statements like this are inadmissible in court.

Plus common sense would tell you that even a hundred people saying "well, he didn't rape / murder / attack me" doesn't qualify as evidence that a defendant didn't do it to one.

This is purely for PR, but it also kind of backfired.

Florio pointed out that Watson being able to so easily produce the names of 18 masseuses who haven't accused him of anything undermines his claim that he has no idea who the others are. That besides raising the question "why does he need so many different masseuses".

Public opinion does indeed have an effect upon court cases, regardless of what a lawyer intimates (though it doesn't have any official legal capacity). I don't know what you're listening to, but Florio was adamant that Watson was/is losing in the court of public opinion. He was screaming for Watson's party to say something as Watson was getting already getting killed in public opinion. Now they have, and I think it's a little disingenuous to say that it's backfired. 

I don't know when Watson or Hardin said that Watson has "no idea who the others are". Obviously they have some idea as to who some of them are, but they're really still precluded from taking any steps to contact them in any official (or practical) capacity in order to defend Watson at this point from a legal perspective. But, if this thing ever actually goes to trial, that's when these  anonymous women, for legal purposes, will become known to the defense, and the defense will legally be able to cross-examine them. 

The "why so many masseuses" thing is not a legal theory.

9 minutes ago, ncstatekwi said:

Have any of y’all looked up masseuse on IG?!?!? Holy smokes.... 🧐

No, but I can imagine. I never knew that there were so many masseuses (wink wink) in the world! IG seems like an interesting platform to be advertising your massage services, but what do I know?! 🤔

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

What it does is that it counters the sexual predator narrative. It also puts Buzbee on notice that in every one of those court cases there will be at least eighteen women in the same industry as the accuser testifying for Watson.

Now if to anyone who believes that the number of women accusing Watson of inappropriate behavior is important, then the number of women who have been in similar or identical intimate environments, who are vouching for his character and behavior, should hold the same weight.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Public opinion does indeed have an effect upon court cases, regardless of what a lawyer intimates (though it doesn't have any official legal capacity). I don't know what you're listening to, but Florio was adamant that Watson was/is losing in the court of public opinion. He was screaming for Watson's party to say something as Watson was getting already getting killed in public opinion. Now they have, and I think it's a little disingenuous to say that it's backfired. 

I don't know when Watson or Hardin said that Watson has "no idea who the others are". Obviously they have some idea as to who some of them are, but they're really still precluded from taking any steps to contact them in any official (or practical) capacity in order to defend Watson at this point from a legal perspective. But, if this thing ever actually goes to trial, that's when these  anonymous women, for legal purposes, will become known to the defense, and the defense will legally be able to cross-examine them. 

The "why so many masseuses" thing is not a legal theory.

It was Florio who pointed out that it backfired.

Hardin has been saying from the beginning that Watson had no idea who was accusing him. It was already pretty obvious that was bullsh-t. This makes it more so.

Admitting that Watson had a sexual encounter with one of his masseuses probably didn't help either, even with the proviso that it was consensual.