• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Zach Wilson is boom or bust and should not be started year one

Ja  Rhule

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying all along. BYU oline program is one of the best. They’re proud it it. And they destroy weaker competition. Which allowed Wilson to time which he used to run around and make on the move throws. 

This is my biggest concern with him. I. The NFL he will definitely have to adjust and learn some technical footwork because he won’t be running from subpar college competition.

Kinda makes you wonder how Mahomes would've worked out if he had to start from day one. Sitting and learning behind Alex Smith may have done him a lot of good.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I haven’t paid too much attention to what writers and others are saying about this years draftees, are they saying the same about Lance? 

Yep, absolutely.

For the record, I've been driving the Zach Wilson bandwagon since back in October. I'm just not blind to the reality that there are question marks.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Its interesting to me how Patrick Mahomes gets a pass on everything that other QBs are scorned for.  With him its not "inconsistent footwork" its "OMG I love how he can adapt his feet to any situation!"  He's not "overly aggressive," he's "a threat on any down to score."  He doesn't have "inconsistent arm angles..." well you get the point.

I consider Wilson to be in the Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers mold.  If that's not what you want, you shouldn't draft him.  And as fans of football none of us should want a team to draft him who isn't going to let him do his thing.

Well dang - I just had a scary thought for the first time.  Wilson in Atlanta.  OMG.

Literally almost every QB prospects probably has some level of footwork or mechanics issues. Some analysts just freak out about it and assume it cannot be coached.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Literally almost every QB prospects probably has some level of footwork or mechanics issues. Some analysts just freak out about it and assume it cannot be coached.

Hell, a lot of very successful NFL QBs don't always do things by the book. Mahomes is a perfect example.  He does a LOT of stuff that would result in a lot of interceptions if he was less talented. QB coaches probably hate their pupils watching Patrick Mahomes. It's virtually guaranteed that they can't get away with a lot of the things he does.

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Exactly what I’ve been saying all along. BYU oline program is one of the best. They’re proud it it. And they destroy weaker competition. Which allowed Wilson to time which he used to run around and make on the move throws. 

This is my biggest concern with him. I. The NFL he will definitely have to adjust and learn some technical footwork because he won’t be running from subpar college competition.

when coastal pressured him, he was not effective.  Of course, he had some drops, but that could be related to timing as much as any other factor.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hell, a lot of very successful NFL QBs don't always do things by the book. Mahomes is a perfect example.  He does a LOT of stuff that would result in a lot of interceptions if he was less talented. QB coaches probably hate their pupils watching Patrick Mahomes. It's virtually guaranteed that they can't get away with a lot of the things he does.

Yes you're right. Mahomes likes to improvise. You could even say he's at his best when he improvises. When I watched the SB I also saw that show a sign of being a potential weakness for him long term though. When things got tough he was looking to improvise every down. Of course, he was getting a lot of pressure but by the 2nd half he was scrambling or looking to scramble instead of looking downfield too early. 

He's the most exciting QB in the league by far but I'm curious to see how he moves forward from that game. He reminds me of Wilson and he and the Chiefs could follow that same path that the Seahawks have. He also reminds me of an even older QB who was better when he was running around, Fran Tarkenton. He's way more athletic but has that same playing style. 

4 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Yes you're right. Mahomes likes to improvise. You could even say he's at his best when he improvises. When I watched the SB I also saw that show a sign of being a potential weakness for him long term though. When things got tough he was looking to improvise every down. Of course, he was getting a lot of pressure but by the 2nd half he was scrambling or looking to scramble instead of looking downfield too early. 

He's the most exciting QB in the league by far but I'm curious to see how he moves forward from that game. He reminds me of Wilson and he and the Chiefs could follow that same path that the Seahawks have. He also reminds me of an even older QB who was better when he was running around, Fran Tarkenton. He's way more athletic but has that same playing style. 

The guy was running for his life every play because KC ran out of healthy OL. If he hadn't been running for his life he would've been getting sacked.

With the exception of Namath who was, in my opinion, overrated, the Jets best QB is probably Chad Pennington if you factor in the length of time--Maybe an aging Testaverde.  Heck, even the year Farve was there he threw 22 picks.   The place is cursed.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

With the exception of Namath who was, in my opinion, overrated, the Jets best QB is probably Chad Pennington if you factor in the length of time--Maybe an aging Testaverde.  Heck, even the year Farve was there he threw 22 picks.   The place is cursed.

Yeah, They cut Pennington's career short. If I were a QB and the Jets wanted to draft me in the first round to start right away I would refuse. Better to sit out a year than lose a career playing for them.

There are a couple od Franchises that have a history of killing QBS and for me, until they prove differently by making a veteran work somewhat I'd want no part of them. Jets are definitely one. Bengals are another, Cleveland was till maybe recently but will see on that one. This season I wouldn't want to go to Texas or the Lions plus the Jets. Those would be my 3 no thanks. Giants would make me unhappy as well.

Edited by Panthers Rhule

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anytime a guy faced subpar competition in college there's always a question mark in terms of how he'll translate based on that alone.

You could make a case that lance played better competition, many still havnt got over his CC game. My issues with Wilson are his size and 2 know elbow/shoulder issues. 

57 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

He won't be schooling future salesmen and accountants to pad up the stat sheet.

Exactly why professional football prospects and talent go to the SEC and ACC, B10

Right? That's why The Golden Calf of Bristol, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak, Jason Campbell, AJ McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Jake Fromm, Chad Kelly, Drew Lock, Mitch Trubisky, Dwayne Haskins, Chad Henne, Christian Hackenburg, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, and Jarret Stidham are all such studs in the NFL.

And guys like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Jared Allen, Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Derek Carr,  and Ben Roethlisburger all completely suck because they didn't play in the SEC, ACC, or Big 10. 

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Right? That's why The Golden Calf of Bristol, Rex Grossman, Chris Leak, Jason Campbell, AJ McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Jake Fromm, Chad Kelly, Drew Lock, Mitch Trubisky, Dwayne Haskins, Chad Henne, Christian Hackenburg, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, and Jarret Stidham are all such studs in the NFL.

And guys like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Jared Allen, Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Derek Carr,  and Ben Roethlisburger all completely suck because they didn't play in the SEC, ACC, or Big 10. 

Plus Jim McMahon and Steve Young came from BYU too. Both won Super Bowls. So it's not like he's a reach just because he comes from BYU.