• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

we were the only ones who wanted sam darnold lol

6 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Also, the Bears cut their best corner and made Andy Dalton tgeir starter, they're not making good decisions currently 

We let Bradberry walk and signed Theodore Bridgewater to a $60M+ contract, so we’re not doing much better.

I’m going to give Darnold a chance before I criticize him, though.  We have much better weapons than NY and he has better arm talent than Teddy.  He could, maybe, just possibly, do well if Joe Brady and company can coach him up.  I also like our new QB coach.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Panthers8969 said:

It amazes me how some fans blindly defend every move this organization makes. If rappaport is right and panthers were bidding against themselves. And we took out the fifth year option? And we still have teddy? How many scrub reject qbs can we overpay at one time?

I’m kind of looking at it like this: staff clearly wasn’t happy with Teddy.  The contract for him was ass.  We realized it simply was not going to work with him going forward, and we weren’t happy with who potentially would be there at QB at 8.

I’m glad they made a move which still lets us keep our 8 pick, while still upgrading at QB.  After watching a year of Teddy I’m really okay with anybody else.  At least Darnold has more arm talent and potential.  Teddy’s just going to be a highly paid backup until 2022, unfortunately.  Sucks having mediocre players on big salaries, but whatever.  It’s not my money.  I’m really just trying to be optimistic, though.  

Just now, PandaMan said:

I’m kind of looking at it like this: staff clearly wasn’t happy with Teddy.  The contract for him was ass.  We realized it simply was not going to work with him going forward, and we weren’t happy with who potentially would be there at QB at 8.

I’m glad they made a move which still lets us keep our 8 pick, while still upgrading at QB.  After watching a year of Teddy I’m really okay with anybody else.  At least Darnold has more arm talent and potential.  Teddy’s just going to be a highly paid backup until 2022, unfortunately.  Sucks having mediocre players on big salaries, but whatever.  It’s not my money.  I’m really just trying to be optimistic, though.  

Who do you think signed teddy? Hint: rhymes with drool and shady. Same guys still here, still evaluating qbs. But this time, they love mega bust Sam darnold and hate all the qbs in the best qb class in years. Almost like our FO sucks at evaluating qbs

6 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Who do you think signed teddy? Hint: rhymes with drool and shady. Same guys still here, still evaluating qbs. But this time, they love mega bust Sam darnold and hate all the qbs in the best qb class in years. Almost like our FO sucks at evaluating qbs

Hey, I said I’m trying to be optimistic haha.  If the Darnold trade ends up blowing up in our face and he sucks, then we’re in the same purgatory situation next year, it’s definitely worth getting concerned about.  I’m just gonna roll with it until then

33 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

A person who isn't here anymore..

I know it might seem like the front office is making a series of dumb decisions and panic moves at the QB position.  I think by and large they are taking calculated risks and giving themselves quick exits if things don't work out.  

Cutting Cam was a calculated risk.  Hard to say if he would have outplayed Teddy B if he had stayed here.  He was seen by pratically everyone as a huge medical risk.  Had he shown any improvement from the previous two injury plagued years, we would have had pressure to sign him to a significant contract despite the spectre of a season ending injury to a high mileage QB. 

We signed Teddy to a conract that gave him a chance to show himself to be either a bridge starter or a franchise QB.  They weren't blind to his shortcomings.  I am sure they thought they could coach him out of his risk adverse ways.  He clearly showed them that he cannot overcome his instincts.  Sucks for us, but his contract is not going to drag us down for years to come.  After one season, the front office knew they had to cut their losses and find a better option at QB.

We were in the mix for Stafford because he cerrtainly would have been an upgrade on what we had on the roster.  That would have been a good signing but we were left at the altar. 

We were seen as the most aggressive suitor of Watson and I believe we could have gotten it done despite the cost had he not found himself in his current predicament.

We then turned our attention to the draft.  For awhile I think we would have been okay with drafting the 4th QB off the board at the 8th spot, but then other teams started making moves.  The current landscape does not favor us if the chips fall as predicted.  We don't want to give up a ransom in draft capital to move up and snag the 4th or 5th best prospect of unproven QBs. 

So we sign Darnold to another short term contract.  Darnold would have been in the mix of the top 5 QBs in this class.  He has talent. He's been tutored under a horrible coaching staff, and he has had little help on the offense to this part of his career.  Again, anoher short term risk that didn't cost too much if he turns out to be they guy.

I'm glad to see the front office hustling to improve our QB situation.  Even if Darnold doesn't work out, I see them working at it.

8 hours ago, WarHeel said:

Dude is younger than Lamar, Josh Allen, and Burrow. Give him a break and see how it unfolds.

Being young works for being a rookie. Darnold is not a rookie. He has multiple years of NFL starting experience.

Make no mistake, this is probably his last shot to prove he can be an NFL starter. If he whiffs here, he's destined to the journeyman backup QB realm. Not bad for him monetarily but it will make us look like fools, yet again, as a franchise.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Biscuit said:

I know it might seem like the front office is making a series of dumb decisions and panic moves at the QB position.  I think by and large they are taking calculated risks and giving themselves quick exits if things don't work out.  

Cutting Cam was a calculated risk.  Hard to say if he would have outplayed Teddy B if he had stayed here.  He was seen by pratically everyone as a huge medical risk.  Had he shown any improvement from the previous two injury plagued years, we would have had pressure to sign him to a significant contract despite the spectre of a season ending injury to a high mileage QB. 

We signed Teddy to a conract that gave him a chance to show himself to be either a bridge starter or a franchise QB.  They weren't blind to his shortcomings.  I am sure they thought they could coach him out of his risk adverse ways.  He clearly showed them that he cannot overcome his instincts.  Sucks for us, but his contract is not going to drag us down for years to come.  After one season, the front office knew they had to cut their losses and find a better option at QB.

We were in the mix for Stafford because he cerrtainly would have been an upgrade on what we had on the roster.  That would have been a good signing but we were left at the altar. 

We were seen as the most aggressive suitor of Watson and I believe we could have gotten it done despite the cost had he not found himself in his current predicament.

We then turned our attention to the draft.  For awhile I think we would have been okay with drafting the 4th QB off the board at the 8th spot, but then other teams started making moves.  The current landscape does not favor us if the chips fall as predicted.  We don't want to give up a ransom in draft capital to move up and snag the 4th or 5th best prospect of unproven QBs. 

So we sign Darnold to another short term contract.  Darnold would have been in the mix of the top 5 QBs in this class.  He has talent. He's been tutored under a horrible coaching staff, and he has had little help on the offense to this part of his career.  Again, anoher short term risk that didn't cost too much if he turns out to be they guy.

I'm glad to see the front office hustling to improve our QB situation.  Even if Darnold doesn't work out, I see them working at it.

You do realize that your explanation is describing a "panic move" right? Similar to what I said in another thread, I don't see how there can be a lot of optimism about something that is easily our 4th best option at replacing Teddy this offseason. 

The most optimism I can muster is that I hope I get proven wrong and he turns out to be something other than....current Sam Darnold. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Being young works for being a rookie. Darnold is not a rookie. He has multiple years of NFL starting experience.

Make no mistake, this is probably his last shot to prove he can be an NFL starter. If he whiffs here, he's destined to the journeyman backup QB realm. Not bad for him monetarily but it will make us look like fools, yet again, as a franchise.

I wouldn’t necessarily say it will make us look like fools if he doesn’t pan out as he’s literally the surest, safest, and cheapest option at this point.

Obviously we were all in on Watson before all the drama started. That’s what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket and pick too deep into the first to ensure getting the guy you want. 

I know I’m in the minority but I for one  am thankful we didn’t sell the house to move up.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say it will make us look like fools if he doesn’t pan out as he’s literally the surest, safest, and cheapest option at this point.

Obviously we were all in on Watson before all the drama started. That’s what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket and pick too deep into the first to ensure getting the guy you want. 

I know I’m in the minority but I for one  am thankful we didn’t sell the house to move up.

But it is also not very sure, not very safe and not very cheap(especially with his 5th year option).

We didn't put all our eggs in one basket, though. We almost had Matthew Stafford before the Watson thing heated up. IMO, this really is our last and most desperate attempt to replace Teddy. 

It's the desperate part that I am concerned about. I do kind of agree on selling the farm to move up. There isn't much of a farm to sell. The back 40 we'd have to give up is on a 42 acre lot. 

Edited by kungfoodude

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

But it is also not very sure, not very safe and not very cheap(especially with his 5th year option).

We didn't put all our eggs in one basket, though. We almost had Matthew Stafford before the Watson thing heated up. IMO, this really is our last and most desperate attempt to replace Teddy. 

It's the desperate part that I am concerned about. I do kind of agree on selling the farm to move up. There isn't much of a farm to sell. The back 40 we'd have to give up is on a 42 acre lot. 

“Surest, safest, cheapest” of the options left. I don’t know the ins and outs of why we fell short on Stafford but with the price tag he went for I don’t blame them for not raising the stakes if Watson was still on the table.