Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Darnold part of the draft day strategy


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Sure, just like we did last year with Teddy...just saying...

At no point was Teddy considered the prospect Darnold was coming out of college..

You need to add context when trying to make a analogy..  

Teddy was a end of the 1st round pick  giving a opportunity here by a fired GM taking a swing trying anything to save his job.....Darnold is 4 years younger doesn't have the major injury history and was a top 5 prospect... 

This is a new GM and a HC both agreeing on this move neither in danger of losing their jobs.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brees in San Diego... Favre in Atlanta... Tannehill in Miami... etc etc

Was Brees that bad in SD? I thought they let him walk because of his injury, definitely could be wrong. 

  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brees in San Diego... Favre in Atlanta... Tannehill in Miami... etc etc

Favre in Atlanta that is perfect... poo even Kurt Waner with the Giants after being a Superbowl mvp with the Rams looked done.. Then he goes to the Cardinals and take them to a Superbowl... Palmer with the Raiders sucked and revived his career in Arizona... Point is this has happened before...

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Was Brees that bad in SD? I thought they let him walk because of his injury, definitely could be wrong. 

In short, yes.  He looked worse his 2nd season as the starter than his 1st one.  He had more INTs than TDs that year.  By that point he was 3 years into the league.

Once they took Rivers, Brees play took off in 2004 and 2005.  By that point they had to make the call on which QB they were keeping long term.  They chose Rivers, and the rest is history.

In retrospect, either would have been correct IMO.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

At no point was Teddy considered the prospect Darnold was coming out of college..

You need to add context when trying to make a analogy..  

Teddy was a end of the 1st round pick  giving a opportunity here by a fired GM taking a swing trying anything to save his job.....Darnold is 4 years younger doesn't have the major injury history and was a top 5 prospect... 

This is a new GM and a HC both agreeing on this move neither in danger of losing their jobs.....

LoL.

Neither has thrown for 20 TDs in a season. Teddy has actually started a full season. Where they were drafted really doesn't matter at this point. You are trying to build this up. Either he does or he doesn't. So far he hasn't and his play has given plenty of reasons to knock this down. 

Also, this staff has done jack positively on the offensive side so that is at best TBD. Brady  so far is hype without production, hell he was still learning to call plays last season. The coaches look to have a type and it's broken with upside, that is fine but until it's not busted let's not pretend it's anything but that yet.

What it could be and what it is right now are 2 separate things, at least until the season starts. No matter how much you hype that up, one is hope and the other is a fact. I'm not the one getting that twisted up. To a Brees or Tannihil or Young or we have Matt Leinart, Rex Grossmen, Byron Leftwich, Patrick Ramsey, Chad Pennington, Karry Collins, Brady Quinn, Richard Todd, Kyler Boller, Jeff Jorge, Rich Campbell, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Jack Thompson,  Kelly Stouffer, Mike Phipps, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russel and Ryan Leaf. But you have a HOF in Brett Farve to add. I have tons more to add.

 It's possible but please acknowledge the odds are against it happening and it's an uphill battle from this point but it is possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 6:53 AM, Khyber53 said:

His familiarity with Robby Anderson could be a very strong point in his favor. The kid had the tools and experience coming out of college.

Can our coaching staff repair the damage the Jets did and get him to reach his potential or is he just a placeholder for a year or two?

As usual, Rhule and Co. have left us with some head-scratching to do until the season starts.

 

If Brady's system is as quarterback friendly as advertised then it should help Darnold immensely. I hope he has a high football IQ. Because from what I have read you need to be able to manipulate defenses by moving personnel to get favorable matchups. Something Teddy did very well. Then build a wall in front of him to give him confidence. And if the coaches are great teachers there is every reason to believe that Darnold can thrive in this system as long as he is accurate and can read and react quickly.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Top 10 on backups?? If we take Fields at 8 he is our guy. Darnold may start like Smith did to Mahomes, but our 2nd rounder next year would be a sunk cost... 

So you think they’ll “sink” a second round pick that they didn’t have to trade before the guy they traded for ever takes a snap for the team?

It’s not happening. Get over it. Darnold is Carolina’s QB for better or for worse for at least one, and likely two, years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

So you think they’ll “sink” a second round pick that they didn’t have to trade before the guy they traded for ever takes a snap for the team?

It’s not happening. Get over it. Darnold is Carolina’s QB for better or for worse for at least one, and likely two, years. 

They said Teddy was 2 years minimum due to sinking millions into him, a week ago half this forum said we wouldn't get rid of him because of the cost and he is out there right now trying to sell himself like a there is one last trick left. Failure in the NFL is super expensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If Brady's system is as quarterback friendly as advertised then it should help Darnold immensely. I hope he has a high football IQ. Because from what I have read you need to be able to manipulate defenses by moving personnel to get favorable matchups. Something Teddy did very well. Then build a wall in front of him to give him confidence. And if the coaches are great teachers there is every reason to believe that Darnold can thrive in this system as long as he is accurate and can read and react quickly.

Darnold has some serious negatives. Teddy looked like a much better brain and Darnold looks like a much better physical talent. Teddy follows the script, Darnold won't follow it.

Brady has his work cut out for him. I get the conceptual part of it, I just don't believe in the end results being as automatic as pitched at this time. I would like to see a plan B this year, I'm guessing we draft one but probably later which I'm not sure counts as better 2021 plan B then Grier and Walker. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

They said Teddy was 2 years minimum due to sinking millions into him, a week ago half this forum said we wouldn't get rid of him because of the cost and he is out there right now trying to sell himself like a there is one last trick left. Failure in the NFL is super expensive. 

They saw a year of Teddy and decided they didn’t like what they saw. That’s entirely different from replacing a guy you gave up a notable haul for before he ever plays a snap.

The Panthers aren’t drafting a QB at 8. Move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Darnold has some serious negatives. Teddy looked like a much better brain and Darnold looks like a much better physical talent. Teddy follows the script, Darnold won't follow it.

Brady has his work cut out for him. I get the conceptual part of it, I just don't believe in the end results being as automatic as pitched at this time. I would like to see a plan B this year, I'm guessing we draft one but probably later which I'm not sure counts as better 2021 plan B then Grier and Walker. 

 

It is unclear whether he can learn a better system or not. Brady took Burrow and in 1 year turned him into a phenom so maybe he can do the same thing with Darnold. I figured that Brady would have signed off on this so he must think he can resurrect him. So I am along for the ride. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • E4BFr3rVUAIm1Zm.jpg

     

     

     

     

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As long as it's not the old Panther's offense of yore where half our PA plays were just: "PA -> all go routes." With our speedsters not named Steve Smith of Keary Colbert, and Kris Mangum, or whatever it was at the time. Just a joke to defend and led to Jake getting crushed far too often for a massive loss.
    • I understand that as well. I would not be in favor of a LB that early. I am pretty much opposed to taking a RB in the first round ever. So I do get it. That said, DT is just such an important position. I just don’t understand the positional value argument I’m relation to DT. Because the best ones eat two blockers. That gives so much leverage to your edge rushers and LBers.    Obviously it isn’t the most important position on the field but it plays such a huge role that gets overlooked by the casual fan. I was of the mindset from day one that I preferred to keep Star over Short. And clearly Short was a great athlete but Star made his job significantly easier. A nasty DT makes the job easier for ever single player on the line. I wanted Brown months before the draft process had started for this reason.
    • Having history with Matt Rhule definitely helps. We interviewed another former Patriots guy for our GM job too. Monti Ossenfort made it to the second round but didn't get the job. Of course, just like Stewart, Ossenfort had a job elsewhere inbetween the Patriots and us.
×
×
  • Create New...