• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer talks about Gase (and Tannehill; oh, and Darnold)

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I wouldn't assume the Panthers avoid drafting a QB. Darnold wasn't handed the keys to the franchise. He's going to be given a chance to compete. 

I'm not dead certain it's going to be a question.

I've seen an awful lot of speculation that at least the top four quarterbacks will be gone before we pick, and in some cases maybe even the top five.

The first three picks being quarterbacks is pretty much a lock, and Breer pointed out that both Atlanta and Detroit are open to trading down with teams that might be looking to get one of the top five.

Heck, even if one does fall to eight, is it someone the Panthers really like?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Following up the suggestion that a first round pick was the only way to go by naming nearly half a dozen first round busts certainly didn't help yours 😄

Neither did appealing to recent Super Bowl history as evidence for first round picks do much when you consider that the vast majority of Super Bowls over the last several years have been won by a sixth round pick who was stuck behind a first-round pick for the first few years of his career; that same guy who this past year would have fit your definition of a castoff. Also the same dude who lost the Super Bowl just a few years back to another "castoff".

The reality is there's no single path to Super Bowl victory. Plenty of teams have won it with guys that didn't succeed in their first spot.

Yet over the last 20 years only 4 teams have won a SB by a QB they didn’t draft, so yeah the math is on my side. And Brady wasn’t a castoff he chose to leave NE. 

And if you want to go deeper go look at recent mvp and all pro QBs, almost all were first round picks.

All the recent evidence points to my argument you just don’t want to admit it.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not dead certain it's going to be a question.

I've seen an awful lot of speculation that at least the top four quarterbacks will be gone before we pick, and in some cases maybe even the top five.

The first three picks being quarterbacks is pretty much a lock, and Breer pointed out that both Atlanta and Detroit are open to trading down with teams that might be looking to get one of the top five.

Heck, even if one does fall to eight, is it someone the Panthers really like?

Right, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone in a later round if it's somebody they like.

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Yet over the last 20 years only 4 teams have won a SB by a QB they didn’t draft, so yeah the math is on my side. And Brady wasn’t a castoff he chose to leave NE. 

And if you want to go deeper go look at recent mvp and all pro QBs, almost all were first round picks.

All the recent evidence points to my argument you just don’t want to admit it.

I don't give a damn who wins MVPs, especially given that MVPs pretty much never win Super Bowls 😄

But I do notice that besides shifting to that, you're also now shifting to drafted QB's instead of first round quarterbacks. Given that Brady skews everything, I'm not surprised.

Just now, mav1234 said:

Right, but I wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone in a later round if it's somebody they like.

I'll be fine if we don't, given that we have a lot bigger needs than backup quarterback.

Plus honestly, there's few if any of this year's non first round picks that I'd have much faith in.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't give a damn who wins MVPs, especially given that MVPs pretty much never win Super Bowls 😄

But I do notice that besides shifting to that, you're also now shifting to drafted QB's instead of first round quarterbacks. Given that Brady skews everything, I'm not surprised.

Teddy then Darnold...you wont have to worry.

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

And with how easy the transition from college to the pros today today’s game is, rookies QBs should be given less time. We just saw a rookie QB throw for 35 TD last year, and another rookie pass for 3 straight games of 300 yards

So you want to draft a new QB in the first round every year until you find one that meets your standards? Danny Devito No GIF

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lmao what kind of moron doesn’t want an mvp caliber QB. We get it you like hog mollies like Gettleman you made it quite clear over the years.

I never shifted anything, I stated from the beginning picking a QB in the first round has led to more success and is what I want. The only long period of time our franchise has had somewhat sustained success was with a first round QB.

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

So you want to draft a new QB in the first round every year until you find one that meets your standards? Danny Devito No GIF

That’s how the nfl works nowadays, Darnold sucks so now the jets are moving on. 3 seasons is more than enough.

This isn’t your granddaddy’s  nfl

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Lmao what kind of moron doesn’t want an mvp caliber QB. We get it you like hog mollies like Gettleman you made it quite clear over the years.

I never shifted anything, I stated from the beginning picking a QB in the first round has led to more success and is what I want. The only long period of time our franchise has had somewhat sustained success was with a first round QB.

Come on MVP QB's like Brady, Mahomes, and Rodgers never win super bowls.

11 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

And you can guarantee an MVP caliber quarterback at our pick?  This despite that long list of first round busts you gave earlier in the thread.

Riiiight 😄

And I'm guessing you weren't around for that Delhomme guy. You know, the castoff who led us to our first Super Bowl? Or was that before your time?

10 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

That’s how the nfl works nowadays, Darnold sucks so now the jets are moving on. 3 seasons is more than enough.

This isn’t your granddaddy’s  nfl

Oy 🙄

I can't definitively say whether Darnold is going to be great or not. Neither do you nor anybody else know whether any of the first round quarterbacks taken this year will. 

The one thing I do know is you have such consistently awful takes on this board that your advocating something basically serves as a de facto argument against it.

Edited by Mr. Scot