Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Teams ranked by the last 5 drafts


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As big a detractor of Little as I am, if we're talking about which player has the worst ratio of ability to selection spot, I could make a pretty strong argument for Rashaan Gaulden.

While Gaulden was an awful pick and unfortunately another pick of Marty’s that everyone in here seemed to dislike instantly. That said, he was picked late 3rd. Most late 3rd round picks don’t last long at all. He was especially bad but based on where he was picked it wasn’t unexpected. Heck, one could say that Grier (only 15 picks later) and Miller weren’t any better. Heck, I’d argue Gaulden exceeded Grier.

I’d still go with Little. We traded a pick 12 spots before Gaulden just to move up for Little. So not only did we take Little above McCoy (picked one spot after Little’s original slot), we traded a way a chance at a potential G or Maxx Crosby.

Since Little busted two picks in a solid OL draft, he’s still got my choice as the worst and I’d say it’s not close.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

While Gaulden was an awful pick and unfortunately another pick of Marty’s that everyone in here seemed to dislike instantly. That said, he was picked late 3rd. Most late 3rd round picks don’t last long at all. He was especially bad but based on where he was picked it wasn’t unexpected. Heck, one could say that Grier (only 15 picks later) and Miller weren’t any better. Heck, I’d argue Gaulden exceeded Grier.

I’d still go with Little. We traded a pick 12 spots before Gaulden just to move up for Little. So not only did we take Little above McCoy (picked one spot after Little’s original slot), we traded a way a chance at a potential G or Maxx Crosby.

Since Little busted two picks in a solid OL draft, he’s still got my choice as the worst and I’d say it’s not close.

Gaulden was an awful pick given he ranked early dead last in every Sparq score category. There was no athletic upside and his tape was average at best. He should have been a day 3 pick or undrafted and we took him in the 3rd.

That said, when he saw the field, he was a heck of a player around the line of scrimmage yet Rivera failed to use him in that capacity. The combination of a bad draft picks and Rivera failing to develop guys is what really did them in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I will say that Little is a far worse pick than Butler. The draft capital we paid for Little was a little more than the pick we used on Butler. Also, the 2019 draft was chock full of OL and a much better draft than 2016. Butler didn’t live up to his pick but the dude actually played and contributed. His last season with us was actually a good one. 6 sacks for a Non starting DT is really good. 

That’s a fair point but on the flip side I think we need to give the same time to little also then and let him play out his rookie contract. Not all players come in ready to play. 

likely? Probably not but you never know if little can find a way to be serviceable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

That’s a fair point but on the flip side I think we need to give the same time to little also then and let him play out his rookie contract. Not all players come in ready to play. 

likely? Probably not but you never know if little can find a way to be serviceable 

Signing two OL, franchising Moton and likely drafting 1 or 2 more OL puts it in the very likely bucket, but I get your point and he’s probably an incomplete in this review anyway.

It just hurts that he cost us two potentially solid OL and we are still searching for a future OL. I mean, the only OL we have signed past this year are two guys on their 3rd and 4th teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

The 2016 draft was horrible. If not for Bradberry (who we didn't even resign so that makes it even worse) it would have probably been the worst draft in team history . 

I was immediately incensed when we picked Vernon Butler and then proceeded to draft 3 CBs in a row . 

To his credit Gettleman had a much MUCH better final Panthers draft in 2017. Mccaffrey Moton Samuel all hits . Although Samuel didn't end up being a game breaking WR he had some decent contributions especially near the end of his tenure here. 

...this is when i knew gettlebag didn't know his azz from a hole in the ground.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just grateful Gettleman is gone. When you're missing at the top of the draft it's just brutal, and he was bad in later rounds as well. And his free agent signings should have landed him in jail. In 2016 Gettleman's draft was horrific:

Round 1: Pick No. 30 – DT Vernon Butler - OMGGGGGGGGG

Round 3: Pick No. 77 – CB Daryl Worley - Couldn't guard anyone and drew PI penalties left and right.

Round 5: Pick No. 141 – CB Zack Sanchez - Cut quickly and looked high school quality.

Round 7: Pick No. 252 – TE Beau Sandland - Who????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

Good post.  One thing that gets lost in the Marty vs. Gettleman debates is that the correct answer was ultimately "none of the above".

Blows my mind that people try to say Gettleman or Hurney was better. They were both TERRIBLE.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Hurney:

Round 5, Pick 143: Josh Norman, CB

Gettleman:

Round 5, Pick No. 141 – CB Zack Sanchez

 

But yes they were both bad.

A single pick comparison doesn't really establish much as far as drafting talent. Hurney whiffed far more in the 2nd and 3rd where it really matters than Gettleman. It will be interesting now to see how not having JR influence will affect our new GM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

A single pick comparison doesn't really establish much as far as drafting talent. Hurney whiffed far more in the 2nd and 3rd where it really matters than Gettleman. It will be interesting now to see how not having JR influence will affect our new GM. 

Yes I said they were both bad. I just made that comparison because it popped into my head. No point behind it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...