• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign DT DaQuan Jones

BurnNChinn

57 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

This truly will be BPA. The holes are being filled nicely. Only uncertainty is T and QB ( I know we have Darnold but he's still an unknown), but it's looking like this is gonna be BPA most of the draft. 

OG is still open, as well. I would say those positions are even less sure than QB. 

Panthers signed DL DaQuan Jones, formerly of the Titans, to a one-year, $4.05 million contract. 

Jones heads to Carolina after seven seasons with the Titans, where he proved durable as a run stuffer, starting every game over the past three seasons. Pro Football Focus graded Jones as the 35th best defensive lineman in 2020, when he recorded three sacks and was 16th among defensive linemen with 33 tackles. He'll be an upgrade for a Tennessee defensive line graded by PFF in 2020 as the league's 17th best rush defense and third worst pass rush.

Edited by TheSpecialJuan
  • Pie 1

This is a great pickup!

We sorely needed to shore up our run defense in the middle.  This could knock 2 yds off our previously abysmal rushing yds allowed.

People talked about going after Sheldon Richardson, but this guy is a year younger, healthier, and -- from the tape John Ellis provided -- plays with an attitude of hurt.

I imagine Luke wishes this front was there when he was playing...

• Beer 1

i think DaQuan Jones was or is one of the best free agent signings this off-season for the Panthers taken into consideration THAT...

A) .. we struggled in run defense last year or let"s just say we were bad & that"s this guy"s forte collapsing the pocket & stopping the run ...

B)...he"s still in his twenties at the ripe young age of 29...

C)...there is a real limited amount of quality free agent interior defensive linemen & slim pickings in this upcoming draft

D)...was a captain on a solid defense in Tennessee where he started every game he played (90) in since 2015   

E)...looks like he took a significant pay cut from his previous contract of 3 year 21 million to if I'm not mistaken looks like a one year 4 million dollar "prove it or let"s say yourself deal"  with the Panthers

F)... & has said in the past that he embraces mentoring his younger teammates.& that's exactly what we need here in Carolina with our young defensive line & former #1 pick Derrick Brown

G)... ok that"s it for now...

Edited by bandu
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, bandu said:

i think DaQuan Jones was or is one of the best free agent signings this off-season for the Panthers taken into consideration THAT...

A) .. we struggled in run defense last year or let"s just say we were bad & that"s this guy"s forte collapsing the pocket & stopping the run ...

B)...he"s still in his twenties at the ripe young age of 29...

C)...there is a real limited amount of quality free agent interior defensive linemen & slim pickings in this upcoming draft

D)...was a captain on a solid defense in Tennessee where he started every game he played (90) in since 2015   

E)...looks like he took a significant pay cut from his previous contract of 3 year 21 million to if I'm not mistaken looks like a one year 4 million dollar "prove it or let"s say yourself deal"  with the Panthers

F)... & has said in the past that he embraces mentoring his younger teammates.& that's exactly what we need here in Carolina with our young defensive line & former #1 pick Derrick Brown

G)... ok that"s it for now...

He is a penn state guy...maybe he can light a fire under YGM

• Pie 1