• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting quote on Sam Darnold from the Athletic article grading all QB’s in this draft class

WarPanthers89

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m doing. You threw an absolute tantrum and had a meltdown the second we traded five Darnold but I’m holding onto delusional hops for saying they Jets were a bad situation and even if he fails, that’s better than giving up tons of draft capital for an unproven rookie. 

What are Fitterers credentials in this league btw? He’s pretty unproven and unsuccessful during his time in this league, right? Granted I guess he hasn’t had enough time to prove himself as a panther in the one (unfinished) first offseason that he’s had there. Good call. Keep stating all the facts. 

Oh my god, I hated the move and showed emotion. Boo hoo. I still think it's a bad move but that's my preference, given the facts we should keep looking and stack the odds. Hell, if we didn't have Darnold and drafted one in the first I would still hope we moved Teddy and brought in a QB to compete and fill out better odds. 

Fitters has been a draft expert on a team that has drafted poorly since the draft scout expert went to be a GM. Look at the drafts, it's concerning. As already stated at length, hope it was the HC and GM that made that magic.

Look who is having a meltdown now. It happens. Take a deep breath and realize none of us are journalist and it's a freaking website on a sports team we all like enough to waste time on. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Oh my god, I hated the move and showed emotion. Boo hoo. I still think it's a bad move but that's my preference, given the facts we should keep looking and stack the odds. Hell, if we didn't have Darnold and drafted one in the first I would still hope we moved Teddy and brought in a QB to compete and fill out better odds. 

Fitters has been a draft expert on a team that has drafted poorly since the draft scout expert went to be a GM. Look at the drafts, it's concerning. As already stated at length, hope it was the HC and GM that made that magic.

Look who is having a meltdown now. It happens. Take a deep breath and realize none of us are journalist and it's a freaking website on a sports team we all like enough to waste time on. 

I’m only having a meltdown towards posters who have cried for over a year now that Tepper sucks, Rhules an idiot, they brought in Teddy and know nothing. The crying and threats of leaving this teams fandom has grown damn tiresome by the reactionary portion of this forum. The same ones wanting to give three 1sts for Wilson are now pointing out Darnold was a top 5 pick. Do you at least see the irony in that? 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Winston was successful except for the turnovers. He put up big time numbers he just turned the ball over too much. Meanwhile, Darnold's TD:INT ratio (1.15:1) is still significantly worse than Winston's (1.38:1).

Winston has unquestionably accomplished more to date than Darnold - which isn't saying a ton to be honest.  But Winston had a MUCH better team around him his first couple years... and Winston has a higher INT% than Darnold at 3.4% for his career, whereas Darnold is 3.2%.  And really they both had similar TD% numbers their first couple years in the league (Winston - 4.1%, 4.9%; Darnold - 4.1%, 4.3%)...  Of course, Winston has built on that (4.7% for his career), whereas Darnold cratered with Gase last year and that hurt his career numbers (3.7%). How much of that is Darnold vs Gase?  Hard to say. Limited sample of Tannehill is pretty crazy to see Tannehill's decline once Gase took over, and subsequent recovery once he left.  I hope Darnold does the same, but I am at best cautiously optimistic.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

And that’s fair. What isn’t fair is calling our owner, GM and head coach a moron for trading a second for him when many of those same complainers at one point wanted us to trade multiple firsts just to get Lance. That is actually insane. That’s where many of us (myself included) have gotten tired of the Darnold bashing. It isn’t so much about Darnold as it is the fact he hasn’t taken a snap yet and people are throwing the entire franchise to to bottom as hopeless morons for making the deal. 

Where have I done any of this? I've certainly questioned whether they know what they're doing, specifically in terms of addressing the QB position but I haven't called any of them morons.  Now Marty Hurney, on the other hand... yeah, I consistently and often called him a moron and I stand by that.

14 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Hurney made it 14 years here beginning with the skillset of a bad journalist and then professional sycophant and was never a successful expert (3 winning seasons).

I know all this ^^^, I've known it for years, yet it still amazes me Hurney lasted as long as he did and after being fired (again) went on to get hired by the WFT. 

On a more positive note:  Marty should give all Huddlers hope that, despite lacking an eye for talent or the ability to negotiate a reasonable contract, we too could someday become an NFL GM.  Hurney is living proof that it's not so much what you know, but rather who you know.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Who's that?

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Where have I done any of this? I've certainly questioned whether they know what they're doing, specifically in terms of addressing the QB position but I haven't called any of them morons.  Now Marty Hurney, on the other hand... yeah, I consistently and often called him a moron and I stand by that.

I’m not specifically pointing at you but the tone of this place in general for the last year. I’ve seen Tepper is going to ruin this franchise, Rhule is in over his head and so on for a year now. 

I also saw that Snow was a terrible pick for DC that was only here because he was a comfort blanket for Rhule. You don’t believe in Darnold. That’s fair. You think the trade was bad. That I caution because the alternative would have been keeping Teddy or likely trading lots of capital for yet another unproven rookie that has a near likelihood of being Darnold anyway.

I’m just fatigued with constant negativity concerning how stupid this franchise is around here. That theme hasn’t shut up since we signed Teddy. And true, that was clearly a bad signing. But as I keep repeating, everyone expected this team to need 3-4 years to rebuild before being competitive when we signed Rhule. It’s been one year. The defense was not very talented and punched above their weight. If CMC had been healthy all year we probably win another game or two. We vastly exceeded expectations. 

I just want the moaning to stop for two months ffs. We have had a solid FA filling holes, the draft is coming up. I just would like to get excited about what’s coming in five days, you know? I’m not saying you, but this place in general. I come here because I love talking football but this has become the most emo sports forum I’ve ever been a part of.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I have said it since he was hired that the Seahawks drafts have been pretty weak as of late and this week on the LockedIn podcast he goes over who the Hawks traded down with, who they missed and who they got.  It aint pretty

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I’m only having a meltdown towards posters who have cried for over a year now that Tepper sucks, Rhules an idiot, they brought in Teddy and know nothing. The crying and threats of leaving this teams fandom has grown damn tiresome by the reactionary portion of this forum. The same ones wanting to give three 1sts for Wilson are now pointing out Darnold was a top 5 pick. Do you at least see the irony in that? 

Well keep head hunting. It is the offseason, an extra boring and overblown one than usual. I get the irritation for different reasons. Fans will always fan how they want just like we do at everything else.

I get your angle, I just have a different one. I am soooooo glad we didn't spend that on Wilson. I was sweating before the storm it. Time will tell and there is a ton in the air but they do have to prove it. We made some big mistakes last year, fingers crossed it was Hurney and we learned. One huge reason some fans are freaked out is that Teddy debacle went so south and part of making the Darnold shot a bullseye is it requires that same premise to succeed as the Teddy experiment. Even though I hated the cost of Watson, he was already a bullseye on the field. It's not the cost for me with Darnold, it's putting all of our eggs in that basket. I don't believe he will succeed but I do hope he does, at least now that I am not seeing red. 

• Beer 1

In comparison to the Panthers other QB options Darnold is pretty low risk.  If he works out Carolina gets a steal of a deal.  If not, the search continues without any long term negative impact to the team's cap or draft picks.

One could argue the move is already paying dividends when it comes to the team's flexibility in next week's draft.  

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, clvclv said:

A question I haven't seen anyone dive into particularly deeply...

One of the biggest concerns with Darnold has been protection - so he actually has time that he never had in New York. There seems to be plenty of WR/TE/CBs available later in this draft, would anyone consider going Darrisaw in the first (assuming he's the highest available T left) and following him up with Walker Little in the second?

I get that you'd have to be pretty well sold on Darnold to do something like that, but I've run through a ton of mock drafts, and the Panthers just seem to slot in a great place to substantially upgrade the OL for years to come while also scooping up a CB/TE/WR that falls a bit.

That would be my plan. Grab a Cb or two, some more linemen on both sides of the line and throw in another TE and call it a day.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Who's that?

Scot McCloughan, senior personnel executive when they drafted the legion of boom and Wilson. Went to WTF and Seattle never found the same balance and had a huge decline on quality. Dude produced as a draft expert with guidance over him. 

14 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I’m not specifically pointing at you but the tone of this place in general for the last year. I’ve seen Tepper is going to ruin this franchise, Rhule is in over his head and so on for a year now. 

I also saw that Snow was a terrible pick for DC that was only here because he was a comfort blanket for Rhule. You don’t believe in Darnold. That’s fair. You think the trade was bad. That I caution because the alternative would have been keeping Teddy or likely trading lots of capital for yet another unproven rookie that has a near likelihood of being Darnold anyway.

I’m just fatigued with constant negativity concerning how stupid this franchise is around here. That theme hasn’t shut up since we signed Teddy. And true, that was clearly a bad signing. But as I keep repeating, everyone expected this team to need 3-4 years to rebuild before being competitive when we signed Rhule. It’s been one year. The defense was not very talented and punched above their weight. If CMC had been healthy all year we probably win another game or two. We vastly exceeded expectations. 

I just want the moaning to stop for two months ffs. We have had a solid FA filling holes, the draft is coming up. I just would like to get excited about what’s coming in five days, you know? I’m not saying you, but this place in general. I come here because I love talking football but this has become the most emo sports forum I’ve ever been a part of.

There's always going to be disagreement. If everyone agreed on everything there would be no point in discussing. This place would just be one giant echo chamber.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's always going to be disagreement. If everyone agreed on everything there would be no point in discussing. This place would just be one giant echo chamber.

Disagreements aren’t my problem. Indeed, that’s what makes this place worth coming back to. My problem is disagreements have now led to angry reactionary crybabies insisting everyone involved in this organization is ignorant of football and multiple alt accounts spawning out of nowhere to throw massive tantrums. 

Disagreement in discussion is great. Having meltdowns even has its time and place. But after an entire fugging year, this behavior from half this board has worn its welcome. It isn’t discussion. It’s a poo throwing meme fest 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 3