• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good Article on Sam Darnold

ladypanther

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Or don’t go all in on a QB that has shown TO issues on both the college and professional level, that also has injury concerns, that was traded for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick. Just another school of thought...

The school of thought that you can try to successfully develop two young quarterbacks at the same time is a pretty silly one. Even the example you gave of someone who tried it failed at it.

If you really think that's a practical option, look back at ladypanther's post above.

21 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean he was playing against PAC 12 defenses?? I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt for the Jets situation, but an elite NFL QB, should be dominate in most college teams despite the circumstances. His turnovers at USC might be the biggest red flag honestly.

True, but I think I prefer what JJ Watt, Clowney and Sherman and other NFL defensive players had to say about Sam’s abilities....they actually had to defend against him.

But again, who knows if it’s too late.  We’ll find out soon, no?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The school of thought that you can try to successfully develop two young quarterbacks at the same time is a pretty silly one. Even the example you gave of someone who tried it failed at it.

If you really think that's a practical option, look back at ladypanther's post above.

I mean it’s not that hard to grasp. One wins the starting job through competition. The other can develop behind him or get traded (Darnold might be a FA actually) this offseason depending on how it goes. 

Just because you don’t agree with the pick doesn’t make it silly. Several analyst have posted similar theories. The Jets hung on to Darnold until a better option (Wilson) was a lock. We may do the same.

You really don’t think Cousins was developed in Washington? As bad of a franchise as they are, they took him from 4th round pick to starter. They didn’t want to pay him what he got in Minnesota (which might be the right call), but he was still developed. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

True, but I think I prefer what JJ Watt, Clowney and Sherman and other NFL defensive players had to say about Sam’s abilities....they actually had to defend against him.

But again, who knows if it’s too late.  We’ll find out soon, no?

They are professionals and aren’t going to hit a young player while he is down. If Darnold ran his mouth to Sherman, he would tell him how he really feels. I agree though, no one knows until we know. I just think it’s a bit of a reach...

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean it’s not that hard to grasp. One wins the starting job through competition. The other can develop behind him or get traded (Darnold might be a FA actually) this offseason depending on how it goes. 

Just because you don’t agree with the pick doesn’t make it silly. Several analyst have posted similar theories. The Jets hung on to Darnold until a better option (Wilson) was a lock. We may do the same.

You really don’t think Cousins was developed in Washington? As bad of a franchise as they are, they took him from 4th round pick to starter. They didn’t want to pay him what he got in Minnesota (which might be the right call), but he was still developed. 

Again, see above.

I'd add that if you're looking at the Redskins for your example of how to do things, you might want to rethink.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, see above.

I'd add that if you're looking at the Redskins for your example of how to do things, you might want to rethink.

So you said you couldn’t think of an example and I gave you one. You’ve stated you shouldn’t take a young QB without a good line, I have given you Herbert and the Chargers. The point is there is more than one way to do things. As our GM and coach have stated, QB is still an option, like it or not.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They are professionals and aren’t going to hit a young player while he is down. If Darnold ran his mouth to Sherman, he would tell him how he really feels. I agree though, no one knows until we know. I just think it’s a bit of a reach...

None of those guys “got him down”.  But you have valid concerns.

We heard a lot of good things about this Wyoming QB for a year before he declared for the draft.  My season ticket and tailgate partner is Jordan Palmers’ FIL.  He raved about Josh Allen’s’ potential and skills.  Josh didn’t exactly play in a power 5 conference, and certainly didn’t dominate in the conference he played in. He went to the right team that set him up with protection and weapons, let him play his game.

Lot of people laughed that Josh would have success in the NFL.  Jordan was right.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

None of those guys “got him down”.  But you have valid concerns.

We heard a lot of good things about this Wyoming QB for a year before he declared for the draft.  My season ticket and tailgate partner is Jordan Palmers’ FIL.  He raved about Josh Allen’s’ potential and skills.  Josh didn’t exactly play in a power 5 conference, and certainly didn’t dominate in the conference he played in. He went to the right team that set him up with protection and weapons, let him play his game.

Lot of people laughed that Josh would have success in the NFL.  Jordan was right.

Josh Allen is a very valid point. I was skeptical of him. Herbert also didn’t light it up and was being used incorrectly. 

• Beer 1

None of us know what we are going to do, but one thing that we do now know is that the Panthers don't have to panic, or give up the farm for a QB they may or may not be sold on.

If the one that they covet after Trevor and Zach are gone, I'm sure we will consider strongly pulling the trigger.  I'm pretty convinced though, that we have a few players that we would realistically pull the trigger on at 8 if they are there, and if they aren't, we may be looking to move back to "pay" for the Sam trade and select a Tier 2 tackle prospect or corner...again, just a hunch.

Fitt set us up to where we can do what's best for the long term health of the team.  If the QB is there, he can sit behind Sam, and we got some QB insurance in Sam that we would not have had otherwise...we DO NOT have to pick up his 5th year if said QB falls to us.

That said, I'm not interested.  Sewell, Slater, Surtain (I could maybe be talked into this) or trade back.

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

That's why I have an open mind about Darnold. So many Huddlers are taking it for granted that the QBs in the 2021 draft will be better, but I think that may be wishful thinking based on pre-draft hype. 

Huddlers want the shiny new toy at the toy store (new unproven QB in draft) rather than a used toy that you picked up a the local yard sale (Sam Darnold with Jets). But hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Hopefully we got a treasure. 

11 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Huddlers want the shiny new toy at the toy store (new unproven QB in draft) rather than a used toy that you picked up a the local yard sale (Sam Darnold with Jets). But hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Hopefully we got a treasure. 

Panthers strategy for finding the franchise QB is hope and pray.