• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

4 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

It's not betting the franchise on Darnold. It's betting a year on Darnold and seeing what you have with him. If he's bad, Carolina will be right back in position to take a QB next year. 

If you pass on a franchise QB at #8 then you're indeed betting the franchise on Sam Darnold.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Based on the assumption that Darnold will be bad and Fields will be good.

As mentioned previously, you don't know if either of those things will be true.

Can you just make this your signature. We all know that we don't know anything for sure regarding future play.

What we do know is that Sam Darnold has three years of terrible NFL QB play under his belt. That's what we know for sure. He isn't basically a rookie as much as you desperately want this to be true. He's a failed NFL QB hoping to resurrect his career.

Just now, NAS said:

Now that Teddy is gone, it’s a high probability we will draft a QB if he should fall down to #8.  I would still consider Trey Lance in addition to Fields.

I don't really think this means anything as far as our draft plans at all.

It's long been known that Bridgewater wasn't going to play here this year.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm fine with that too, but in that case you wasted a 4th, and future 2nd/6th as well as possibly forgoing a franchise QB option in the meantime. That's all I'm saying. That trade and Sam Darnold's presence honestly shouldn't weigh into our action at #8. Darnold just kept us from being in a situation where we felt our hand was forced to do something stupid there.

By going QB, the Panthers could be missing out on a possible franchise tackle, WR, or whatever else. Playing what if never works well. Lets just hope they make the best decision for the team no matter what it is.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Can you just make this your signature. We all know that we don't know anything for sure.

What we do know is that Sam Darnold has three years of terrible NFL QB play under his belt. That's what we know for sure. He isn't basically a rookie as much as you desperately want this to be true. He's a failed NFL QB hoping to resurrect his career.

I said the team needed to treat him like a rookie.

Based on what he's said, it sounds like Matt Rhule agrees.

13 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

He's gone through new coaching once already. And the incoming staff at the Jets decided it was time to move on. 

It's still up in the air as to how good our coaching staff is. 

But I recall these same arguments being made last year with regard to Teddy who ended up looking like the same guy he's always been. 

And to be fair, if the Panthers pass on a QB, if one is available, and Darnold doesn't work out the coaching staff better pray to high heaven the guys they passed on look just as bad. 

I didn't say new coaching, I said what should be better coaching. Even if the Panthers' coaches are bad, they shouldn't be worse than what Darnold had last year. Because if they are, the team has much bigger issues than picking a QB or not. As I stated in another reply, playing if never works well. I think the best option this year is to surround Darnold with talent and see what happens. If he sucks, he sucks and the team can pick another QB next year.

12 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

It's not betting the franchise on Darnold. It's betting a year on Darnold and seeing what you have with him. If he's bad, Carolina will be right back in position to take a QB next year. 

Even if Darnold is bad, the Panthers are still probably picking in the teens instead of the top 10 meaning it will be all the more expensive to move up for a QB.