• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how good are we expecting Jaycee Horn to be?

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Not sure you can bring Barron into this. He was a tweener coming into the league. That’s like saying Thomas Davis was a bad corner. Bc they were basically the same player in college.

also, 3 of the corners on your list were average athletes. Milliner/Claiborne/Gilbert.

I wouldn’t put them in the same category as horn.

It was a list of every CB drafted in the top 10 over the last decade.   Who do you compare a top 10 drafted CB to if not that collective group.  

I think you had to compare Cam to top 5 drafted QBs since he went #1 and so on.  Same with Luke (top 10 LBs).  With Luke you probably can take out the OLB that are basically DEs though.   Don't see why guys don't compare because you deem their athletic ceilings different. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

It was a list of every CB drafted in the top 10 over the last decade.   Who do you compare a top 10 drafted CB to if not that lot? 

Barron wasn’t a CB....  and I already shared my response in my previous reply. Not sure there was much more left up for interpretation. 

9FD8A978-EF48-4340-B02A-BDC2CC700C7E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Barron wasn’t a CB....  and I already shared my response in my previous reply. Not sure there was much more left up for interpretation. 

9FD8A978-EF48-4340-B02A-BDC2CC700C7E.jpeg

okay.  Barron edited out.   I did use CB and not DB language.   But he still a top 10 pick used to solve a DB issue.   

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't draft a guy in the top 10 to be average or even good. You're expecting All-Pro level play out of top 10 picks.

yeah, based on top prior corners drafted that high....I think the bar is by year 2 to be playing at a Pro Bowl level (even if not selected).  But as I said, I'll give him year 1 to take some lumps.    

Bar is raised on Brown this year too. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

yeah, based on top prior corners drafted that high....I think the bar is by year 2 to be playing at a Pro Bowl level.  But as I said, I'll give him year 1 to take some lumps.    

Yeah, I'm not gonna crucify the kid if he isn't Darelle Revis as a rookie, even if Darnold is flailing and Fields is balling. Make no mistake about it, I think we fuged up. But I'm not gonna hold that against the kid.

• Beer 1

Horn is a brash, loudmouth like his father, who usually delivers on what he says, like his father. I would imagine besides competing against the best WRs in the league, he's competing(in a good way) with his father's legacy in the NFL. I would bet they have a fun rivalry at home. I think we're going to see great things out of Horn sooner than later. 

12 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The one thing that has me a little worried, is that I was looking at Kiper's 2021 mock draft that he did right after the 2020 draft, and Horn wasn't in his first round, but probably 6 or 7 other CB's were.

Obviously I'm not saying I'm judging him solely on that, but not being a big college football follower, it makes me wonder if he wasn't really high on radar's after last year and maybe he had a big year this year that vaulted him up boards?  

Sometimes those one year wonders make me a little more nervous as opposed to guys who have been highly rated for years.

But besides that, I like what I've seen/heard about him, just hope he wasn't a one year flash in the pan type

Why would anyone give even a hammered piece of dogshit what Mel Kiper thinks? He's literally NEVER right about anything in the draft. He even screws up the top 5 most years. 

17 hours ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Lots of corners in the league. Lots of corners who get drafted every year. Okudah was the 3rd pick last year and I know it's early but so far looks like he shouldn't have been the pick. Are we expecting him to be leaning more towards elite or more towards just average?

He won't be poo if we don't get better play out of the middle of the defense and that starts up front. That is why I advocated for Micah Parsons; 6'3 240 lbs and runs a legitimate 4.4 40. That type of athleticism in the middle of your defense immediately and irrevocably upgrades everyone outside and behind them.

Yet we went with a corner, one of the least consequential positions that impacts the outcome of plays time and time again. As an organization, the Panthers have almost always had a Hall of Fame talent at MLB and if they didn't there was one outside. It was built this way because that position matters to a defense the same way a QB matters to offense.

Take Horn was akin to us taking Devonta Smith but keeping PJ Washington as our starting QB. Smith will be a fantastic player but if PJ is our QB, the offense isn't going to do poo consistently. So we just did that same thing by drafting Horn. 

He may make a splash play or two that affect the outcome of a game. But he isn't going to be in position to wreck a game and control an offense the way a linebacker can. When you have athletes like Kuechly or Wagner controlling and commanding the middle of the field it affects everything around them. We completely and utterly lack that ability right now and the entire defense will suffer for it. 

Teams don't win championships without great middle field play the same way they don't without a QB. Would the Bucs have won without Devin White? poo no they wouldn't have. They could have two all world corners but without White wrecking the Chiefs receivers, backs, quarterback, and offensive like the Bucs likely lose that game. 

Gimme a great Linebacker over a great Corner, if I have to make the decision. Its clear we did. 

Sticky this comment for Week 8 when we are lamenting how the middle of our defense is putrid and losing games while Parsons is on a Rookie of the Year run.