• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Niners confirm the smokescreen

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's no point to a smokescreen. They either changed their minds or the reports they were considering taking Jones were off. If they're claiming it was a smokescreen, then that pretty much confirms they changed their minds which they'd never admit to.

Other inside stories have previously said it was always Lance. It's just never been officially acknowledged till now.

I will grant a lot of the work was done for them by people making incorrect assumptions.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Not much of an effective smokescreen if hardly anyone actually believed it. Lance made the most sense after the trade if they were looking to upgrade from Jimmy to a more dynamic signal caller which seemed plainly obvious given the level of investment.

• Pie 1

I would be curious to know if this was a genuine smokescreen or just the media types overreacting to Shanahan's public comments about Jones. I tend to think that the mock draft media tends to whip themselves and everyone into a frenzy with their speculation just to get more content to put out. 

I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to draft Mac Jones in the first round. Even with our QB problems, I wouldn't have wanted to take a flier on him until probably the third round. I think he'll end up being a decent 2nd string QB but there is almost nothing about him that says franchise or even consistent starting caliber QB. 

Lance just seems to be such an obvious choice for the 49ers with an existing above average caliber NFL starting QB on a contract. Let him develop and start the process of building for the future. That seems like the better option for sustained success beyond Jimmy G's time there.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would be curious to know if this was a genuine smokescreen or just the media types overreacting to Shanahan's public comments about Jones. I tend to think that the mock draft media tends to whip themselves and everyone into a frenzy with their speculation just to get more content to put out. 

Combination of both, I'd say. The idea got out there and everybody ran with it.

For their part, I'd guess Lynch, Shanahan and Peters probably found the whole thing amusing.

• Beer 2

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

Not much of an effective smokescreen if hardly anyone actually believed it. Lance made the most sense after the trade if they were looking to upgrade from Jimmy to a more dynamic signal caller which seemed plainly obvious given the level of investment.

Honestly, I think Fields made the most sense. Lance definitely has talent, but man... they bet BIG on a guy who just hasn't shown a whole lot with his arm and did all his running against guys who are going to be HS football coaches or accountants.

• Pie 7

Let's take a look at the genius behind the concept of a smokescreen here:

1. Trevor---LOCKED IN

2. Wilson---LOCKED IN  Jets were not trading out unless it was for a team willing to pay for Wilson.

3.  OH, we better do some head bobbing and weaving here---maybe a juke step.  That is like trying to bluff with 4 aces.   If they played Jones to fool people, I hope Jones scalds their asses when they play.

So maybe they wanted teams to invest time into bringing in Lance etc. after they supposedly took Jones.  Who? The Falcons?  The Bengals and Dolphins were set at QB---Philly? Detroit?  Denver? 

I do not understand the strategy.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Let's take a look at the genius behind the concept of a smokescreen here:

1. Trevor---LOCKED IN

2. Wilson---LOCKED IN  Jets were not trading out unless it was for a team willing to pay for Wilson.

3.  OH, we better do some head bobbing and weaving here---maybe a juke step.  That is like trying to bluff with 4 aces.   If they played Jones to fool people, I hope Jones scalds their asses when they play.

So maybe they wanted teams to invest time into bringing in Lance etc. after they supposedly took Jones.  Who? The Falcons?  The Bengals and Dolphins were set at QB---Philly? Detroit?  Denver? 

I do not understand the strategy.

Same.

Heck, maybe they did it for laughs 😐

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

Mac Jones is Jarret Stidham, surrounded by high pick NFL players in college

Yeah, because Ohio State at Clemson did not have that.  Yet Jones won the national title, completed nearly 80% of his passes (Waddle injured), and averaged 350 yards a game--all higher than Fields and Lawrence. 

But your stats are good too.  You make a compelling argument.

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I think Fields made the most sense. Lance definitely has talent, but man... they bet BIG on a guy who just hasn't shown a whole lot with his arm and did all his running against guys who are going to be HS football coaches or accountants.

I think Lance seems to have the drive more than Fields does. Everything you read about Lance is how he has a chip on his shoulder and works hard to get better and prove his doubters wrong. I haven't really seen the same kind of stories about Fields. Lance just seems to be in the mold of the strong team leader type player. Plus, physically he is the most gifted guy in that draft. 

Does he have the most work to do of the top 4 guys? Absolutely. I just personally think he will get there because he is self motivated(something I don't see with a guy like Darnold).

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think Lance seems to have the drive more than Fields does. Everything you read about Lance is how he has a chip on his shoulder and works hard to get better and prove his doubters wrong. I haven't really seen the same kind of stories about Fields. Lance just seems to be in the mold of the strong team leader type player. Plus, physically he is the most gifted guy in that draft. 

Does he have the most work to do of the top 4 guys? Absolutely. I just personally think he will get there because he is self motivated(something I don't see with a guy like Darnold).

He might. So much of the evaluation process - especially for QBs - comes down to the interviews.