• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB/FB Roster Projections-Who Stays? Who Goes?

Michael G

3 hours ago, Michael G said:

I think the RB's and what our RB room will look like this season could be a very interesting topic for discussion, even though it doesn't get a lot of coverage. Everybody knows CMAC is the starter and most believe that our #4 pick Chuba Hubbard will be the #2. But following them there are a lot of questions in my mind.

Who will be the third tailback option (Reggie B., Rodney S., T. Cannon, D. Clark (UDFA-workout find)?

What about FB? We lost Armah but signed 2 in the offseason (Mikey D. and UDFA Mason S.) Will the way we use #3 pick TE Tommy Tremble as a blocker lead to the team releasing both FB's?

How many RB's will we keep? If Tremble subs in as a FB, does that save a roster spot or do we keep an extra Tailback?

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

You are asking the right questions, and until they have a camp and pre season, we may never know.  There is always that Fred Lane who comes from nowhere, but I think your hand is on the pulse as it looks now.  We keep a FB, probably Stokke on the PS.

We have a lot of players who could save us roster spots---first, Cam Erving on the OL, Elflien, Moore, etc. can all play different spots if needed.  Steven Sullivan (converted LSU WR to TE can play both if needed and could allow us to carry 5 WRs with him as a third TE), Tommy Stevens (Wildcat, slot, QB...), Myles Hartfield (Nickel, S, CB depth), heck, Reggie Bonnefon could even serve as a backup emergency QB--played it in college. You have to love what we are doing.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I'd bet my mortgage on McCaffrey playing last year if we were in Plyoff contention.

They were just super cautious with him.

Totally agree...there was very little incentive to play him and risk another injury.  He will be ready to roll this year IMO.

As to the OP...gotta think that third RB will have special teams value but its pretty close IMO.

Didnt realize but we were #1 in touchback % so coverage teams not as critical but still matter...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:
6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Probably correct here with Clarke (RB) and Stokke (FB) heading to the PS (both of which have a ton of potential).

If they are high on them will they risk waivers? 

These guy will probably run the waivers. Not many teams looking for a FB, and no one really knows he Clarke is- We found him at a tryout in San Diego-He played at Newberry College in SC...so...they'll probably clear.....

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

If they are high on them will they risk waivers? 

I don't know. They can probably get away with the FB. Clarke may be hard, to keep. I don't know that they should use more than 3 or 4 spots on RB/FB.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I predict that when Bonnafon(All Huddle JAG Team 2018-2020) gets waived(again) that there will be much wailing in gnashing of teeth in here.

I'll be one of the teeth gnashers. I agree though. I really like him but Trenton C. has been more useful on Special Teams...I'm not sure why Reggie isn't as well liked unless maybe he has trouble in Pass Pro. He definitely has potential both running and receiving (and even throwing). He played WR, and RB as well as QB at different times at Tenn. 

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I don't know. They can probably get away with the FB. Clarke may be hard, to keep. I don't know that they should use more than 3 or 4 spots on RB/FB.

Agreed.  I can still recall Belichick poaching our draft pick.  Also a full back I think?

• Pie 1

Just now, Michael G said:

I'll be one of the teeth gnashers. I agree though. I really like him but Trenton C. has been more useful on Special Teams...I'm not sure why Reggie isn't as well liked unless maybe he has trouble in Pass Pro. He definitely has potential both running and receiving (and even throwing). He played WR, and RB as well as QB at different times at Tenn. 

I think Bonnafon is just one of those guys that has flashes but definitely isn't any better than dozens of RB's that flame out of the NFL(or get passed on) every year. He is another "second staff that doesn't see it" guy, like Little. It is what it is, he was hardly a bust.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

Not from me. Chube makes him expendable.

I agree. Hopefully he can fill the shoes from last season and hopefully we actually get to see him a lot this season.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Michael G said:

These guy will probably run the waivers. Not many teams looking for a FB, and no one really knows he Clarke is- We found him at a tryout in San Diego-He played at Newberry College in SC...so...they'll probably clear.....

More than likely.  I'm just not familiar with this FO enough yet to guess how they will manage their "hidden gems".

29 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

More than likely.  I'm just not familiar with this FO enough yet to guess how they will manage their "hidden gems".

I'm really curious how the greatly expanded practice squads are going to affect team behavior.   Will there be constant grabbing people off of other teams PS ?  The wild, wild west ?  Or will it be "hands off mine, I'll be hands off yours" detente.  

It will be fun to watch. 

33 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I'm really curious how the greatly expanded practice squads are going to affect team behavior.   Will there be constant grabbing people off of other teams PS ?  The wild, wild west ?  Or will it be "hands off mine, I'll be hands off yours" detente.  

It will be fun to watch. 

I'll tell you who wont play fair no matter what and he resides in Foxboro.