• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are going to make some noise.... a Viking perspective

41 minutes ago, pnthrs said:

This is our second/third best showing at skill positions IMO.  03 was insane.  

I said top to bottom.  03 was Smitty’s breakout year.  Moose was a great compliment.  Proehl was a consummate pro.

Now, were those guys great?  Yeah.

Is it better than Anderson/Moore/CMC?

When did Smitty and Moose have 1000 yard seasons together?

Has any Panther ever had a 1k/1k season besides Christian?

Don’t let fond memories cloud the facts.

Ehhh...the Panthers defense ranked at the top of the bottom third of the NFL, with pass defense average and running defense really fuging bad. 

In fact other than WRs, any unit that had a Panther’s uniform on ranked in the bottom of the league as well. Whether Terrance becomes the best rookie ever wouldn’t really matter as it’s the strongest position on the team.

I’m not going all doomsday, I get the reasons why, but some of you are way too homer about things. The entire team as a whole will need a huge improvement to contend.

I expect an average season to be happy, anything more will be a welcome surprise. Rhule will need more than 1 year to build a winning team, as ‘doomsday’ as that may sound to some.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Many signs point to Darnold playing better...the question is, how much.  If his ceiling was accurately projected when he was drafted......we could be a playoff team...otherwise, this is going to be a long season.

And that is why the Jets did him such a disservice by being the absolute dumpster-fire they've always have been.

Any other team, Sam would've been better evaluated from the get-go.

Now the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

On 5/30/2021 at 12:32 PM, 1of10Charnatives said:

Not to be a pill, but how often does anyone daydream about all of their receiving talent going to waste because the team failed yet again to upgrade a mediocre OL? For Marshall to blow the top off of the D, Darnold will have to have plenty of time to throw the ball. The chances that drafting a maybe guard maybe tackle prospect that some scouts had rated lower in the 3rd, and an overweight guard in the 5th were an immediate upgrade are not something I would bet on.

Raise your hand if you think Cam Erving is Carolina's LT of the fut...

pres...

bargain bin.

I think Brady et al have been focusing too much on shiny new toys without focusing enough on what is needed for those toys to shine.

I get your pessimism especially due to our history of free agents.

My optimism lies with Fitterer.  He's the new king in town.  Based off of the talent he grabbed in the draft it gives me confidence that he did his homework on our free agents.   I think Cam Erving will be serviceable until Christensen is ready to take over.   I do believe Christensen will eventually be our LT for many years.   I think our depth on the O-Line is the best we've had in many years. 

Will this O-line be the best in the league?  I don't think so but do I believe they will be in the upper half (1 to 16) yes.  I seriously doubt we will be worse than 2020. 

On 5/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, L-TownCat said:

I said top to bottom.  03 was Smitty’s breakout year.  Moose was a great compliment.  Proehl was a consummate pro.

Now, were those guys great?  Yeah.

Is it better than Anderson/Moore/CMC?

When did Smitty and Moose have 1000 yard seasons together?

Has any Panther ever had a 1k/1k season besides Christian?

Don’t let fond memories cloud the facts.

Ill still take our skill positions 03.  Stephen Davis and Foster were a heck of a 1-2 punch and Hoover was the best full back we have has since then.  Fond memories or not that was our best skill position year.  

Edited by pnthrs

3 hours ago, pnthrs said:

Ill still take our skill positions 03.  Stephen Davis and Foster were a heck of a 1-2 punch and Hoover was the best full back we have has since then.  Fond memories or not that was our best skill position year.  

Hoover was only a fan favorite, the guy was not that great. 

Smitty was better than DJ, but was Moose better than Robby? Proehl was an average #3, another fan favorite, but he was 35 at the time. Our 3rd WR has a lot more upside than that. 

CMC is definitely better than Davis and Foster combined. 

If CMC was healthy last year our skill positions were better, and they should be better this year. 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Moose had nearly 1500 yards and 16 TDs in '04 when Smitty broke his arm. Anderson is our best #2 WR since then, but yeah... Moose was definitely better.

True, but that was with a QB who was not scared to throw the ball farther than 5 yards. 

I will concede that Moose was better than Robby though.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, PootieNunu said:

I honestly did, not going to lie. I dont really care for Robby anyway, seems like too much of a diva.

I like Robby. He doesn't seem like a diva to me. He is just a dude. 

Moose was a stalwart. You out him on any team in the NFL during that time and he makes them better. The ideal old school possession reciever.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I like Robby. He doesn't seem like a diva to me. He is just a dude. 

Moose was a stalwart. You out him on any team in the NFL during that time and he makes them better. The ideal old school possession reciever.

I still remember him begging for pro-bowl votes on the jets sideline. He also seems kinda peeved that his boy Teddy is gone and may not get the bulk of the targets anymore. 

If he was at OTAs I probably would not view him as harshly. I realize he has played with The Darnold before but every rep counts. Guys that get that go a long way in this league, guys that don't move teams a lot.