• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC being CMC

Icege

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Sooo...2 years ago Rhule went all D. Now that that same D looks like it just may be getting better. Folks seem to forget that Draft.

But...This year we attacked the O in the Draft. Including 2 Olinemen, and another -Moore- who may be our starting C sooner than later. And also grabbed a blocking TE. Yet, some folks are unhappy cuz we didn't do more.

Some folks want to discuss this, others just want to burn it down. Which is how it should be. Differences drive discussions. But being civil is what keeps discussions going.

Civility is needed for discussions to be effective.

We had a lot of needs and cap issues when Rhule took over. It’s going to take some patience, but a lot of people don’t have very much. I understand it’s entertainment and we all want them to win and win now, but that’s not always realistic. 

• Beer 1

Just now, SBBlue said:

Really, another replay of the oline discussion.  Really?  I'm not arguing that we could have done more.   Rather than having the same oline conversation one...more...time....  I thought we'd discuss who Frank actually wanted, but no, thats to much and you felt to say that was unceccessary.

I think your missing the bigger picture here.  You have a guy trolling the thread on CMC.  He backpedals into bitching about the oline.  That's all he's done is bitch about the team since he's got here.  He insert insults about huddlers how we don't see reality.  In.  Every.  Post.

You, as a mod, rush in to argue for higher oline picks.  No wonder the TB is so awesome.

smh

I haven't read nor care to read your entire back and forth with frank.  

and yes, I shared my opinion that I think posters have a legit argument when saying they wish the team would invest more in the OL. 

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We had a lot of needs and cap issues when Rhule took over. It’s going to take some patience, but a lot of people don’t have very much. I understand it’s entertainment and we all want them to win and win now, but that’s not always realistic. 

Yuppers. 2 years ago, most Huddlerz would agree that our roster was bottom of the league level.

Year 2 hasn't even started yet, and there are a lot of Huddlers whose fears of the past won't allow them to see just what might be ahead for us.

I mean, isn't this the time of year to look hopefully towards the coming year? 

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Damn man, now I know why you think CMC, Burns, DJ, Moton and Chinn are terrible because the team has been bad lately. I you just lit don’t actually know what actually happened. You think CMC got hurt after the winning season in 2017. You think his 2019 season was a bad year and he didn’t do everything possible to help the team in a historic year. You clearly don’t know the history of football if you think Marino had an undefeated regular season.

Is Barry Sanders one of the worst starting RBs ever since Detroit basically sucked during his career?

If the best route to attack me that you've got going is me misremembering a fact from 40 or 50 years ago do you my guy. Dan Marino and Barry Sanders have nothing to do with lack of success for the Carolina Panthers. I've never said any of those players you mentioned are terrible. Burns DJ and Chinn are part of our core we should be building around while they are young and on affordable contracts. Moton is too but now his future is up in the air with his payday now due. Having the highest paid running back is bizarrely a badge of honor of sorts around these parts for some. Almost anyone with a pulse agrees McCaffrey is a gifted athlete. But not everyone is going to agree with sinking the salary cap on him while the offensive line is still very much in flux. Btw that second quote was about Cam Newton not McCaffrey. If you are going to call someone out at least get the info right.

Edited by frankw

9 minutes ago, frankw said:

If the best route to attack me that you've got going is me misremembering a fact from 40 or 50 years ago do you my guy. Dan Marino and Barry Sanders have nothing to do with lack of success for the Carolina Panthers. I've never said any of those players you mentioned are terrible. Burns DJ and Chinn are part of our core we should be building around while they are young and on affordable contracts. Moton is too but now his future is up in the air with his payday now due. Having the highest paid running back is bizarrely a badge of honor of sorts around these parts for some. Almost anyone with a pulse agrees McCaffrey is a gifted athlete. But not everyone is going to agree with sinking the salary cap on him while the offensive line is still very much in flux. Btw that second quote was about Cam Newton not McCaffrey. If you are going to call someone out at least get the info right.

Who are we signing for our line with all this money CMC is wasting? We need a LT and teams with good ones at reasonable ages don’t let them walk. They just aren’t available. We whiffed on Little, Khalil, and Oher trying to address it and that’s the issue. I really don’t think it has much to do with CMC’s contract. Can you name an elite LT that was available, but we couldn’t afford? It’s almost like saying we can’t sign an elite QB because CMC’s salary is too high. If there was one available, we would make it work….

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Who are we signing for our line with all this money CMC is wasting? We need a LT and teams with good ones at reasonable ages don’t let them walk. They just aren’t available. We whiffed on Little, Khalil, and Oher trying to address it and that’s the issue. I really don’t think it has much to do with CMC’s contract. Can you name an elite LT that was available, but we couldn’t afford? It’s almost like saying we can’t sign an elite QB because CMC’s salary is too high. If there was one available, we would make it work….

The likelihood of an "elite" answer this year would have been low. KC got Orlando Brown but they gave up a haul. The hope was one of the top tackles falling to us at 8 in the draft but that was a longshot. There were a few older lower contract free agent left tackles we probably would have been able to lure over here for a little more than what they got. But even with a temporary viable solution and significant cap space that's still a better position to be in than facing the combined cap hits next year of 22 and 54 with our backs against the wall trying to figure out the upcoming contracts for guys like Burns and Moore and hinging the season on Erving while seeing who blinks first between us and Taylor Moton. If you were an nfl gm looking to right the ship of a struggling franchise with some nice young defensive pieces solid receivers and a young qb but ten years of throwing crap at the wall for the o line what would you put first. Offensive line or running back and linebacker?

Edited by frankw

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

The likelihood of an "elite" answer this year would have been low. KC got Orlando Brown but they gave up a haul. The hope was one of the top tackles falling to us at 8 in the draft but that was a longshot. There were a few older lower contract free agent left tackles we probably would have been able to lure over here for a little more than what they got. But even with a temporary viable solution and significant cap space that's still a better position to be in than facing the combined cap hits next year of 22 and 54 with our backs against the wall trying to figure out the upcoming contracts for guys like Burns and Moore and hinging the season on Erving while seeing who blinks first between us and Taylor Moton. If you were an nfl gm looking to right the ship of a struggling franchise with some nice young defensive pieces solid receivers and a young qb but ten years of throwing crap at the wall for the o line what would you put first. Offensive line or running back and linebacker?

Our cap is actually pretty good the next few years. Yeah Brown was an option, we just didn’t want to lose the draft picks. Erving is nothing more than a resort/depth player IMO. There was no LT worth taking at 8 (we wanted Sewell) many believe Slater a RT/guard. We drafted another option in the 3rd round in Christensen. Like I said CMC’s contract has nothing to do with us not getting a LT. They are just hard to come by and we have whiffed a bunch trying. We could have maybe traded up for Sewell, but who knows if the Lions were willing (they seemed very excited to get him) and what that would cost. So we threw money at Kalil, signed a vet in Oher, drafted Little, and now drafted Christensen. It’s not getting ignored, we just keep missing like many other teams in the league.

20 hours ago, frankw said:

Why do we need to walk around on egg shells about the elephant in the room? It's time to win.

Listen, let's not kill CMC for that albatross of a contract(although it may look small in two years when the cap skyrockets).

He didn't offer it to himself.

#HurneyMagic

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Listen, let's not kill CMC for that albatross of a contract(although it may look small in two years when the cap skyrockets).

He didn't offer it to himself.

#HurneyMagic

The McCaffrey extension was about selling tickets and keeping fans from jumping ship after a very ugly split from Newton. I tend to think Hurney was gm in name only once Rhule was brought in. He did what he was told. It was Tepper and Rhule in the drivers seat. How we later dragged Teddy in public only further cements this.

53 minutes ago, frankw said:

The McCaffrey extension was about selling tickets and keeping fans from jumping ship after a very ugly split from Newton. I tend to think Hurney was gm in name only once Rhule was brought in. He did what he was told. It was Tepper and Rhule in the drivers seat. How we later dragged Teddy in public only further cements this.

If Hurney were just a puppet, why would you fire him?

For that matter, why would you fire him and then turn around and hire a guy who's clearly not signing on to be a figurehead?

Add in that it's pretty well established Tepper doesn't weigh in on personnel matters.

Geez man, do you even follow the Panthers?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Hurney were just a puppet, why would you fire him?

For that matter, why would you fire him and then turn around and hire a guy who's clearly not signing on to be a figurehead?

Add in that it's pretty well established Tepper doesn't weigh in on personnel matters.

Geez man, do you even follow the Panthers?

You honestly think he was in Tepper's long term plans once he made all that effort to fly out to hire Matt Rhule? 60 million dollars just to keep having Hurney running drafts and free agency? I'm not buying the fully hands off owner bit but if you don't agree that's fine.