• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the NFC South LBs: Where does Panthers' Shaq Thompson fit in?

SBBlue

I wonder if part of Shaq's problem last year was playing next to Whitehead.  I can't imagine Whitehead gave anyone any feeling that they could safely assume the middle was taken care of.

I doubt he will ever live up to the future years of his contract, especially with the guaranteed money factored in.  My hope is he plays well enough to lessen that concern and make it worth pushing some of that out. 

If he can make it just expensive and not Hurney-esque, that will be about as good as anybody could hope for.  He didn't negotiate with himself on that deal, and it's not his fault our GM reacted to Luke's retirement by thinking if he paid Shaq like he was elite, he would become elite. 

Then add the "oh by the way, do it playing next to a void in the middle." 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Wow.  Maybe you should take your blinders off.

You are only hurting your case.  Not helping it.

If you are only going to call me out you aren't being consistent so we don't need to derail this any further. Good talk.

Damn, I would have lost money betting he had more career INT's. 

Lol, In one game Luke had two of 'em in about a 5 minute span iirc (vs Romo). Then again, Luke isn't the guy you want to compare against.

Shaq isn't a bad player either he's actually slightly above average but keeping in mimd his draft spot and current contract, I am and have been expecting more. 

Stats dont always show the full impact a player can make on the field but five pass breakups, one interception 5 years ago seasons, 0 sacks last season ...70+ completion rate when targeted...damn near Whitehead numbers. To his credit he did have two forced fumbles, 100+ tackles and prior to last season was halfway decent when he was called to blitz. I personally like him because he's athletic and physical. Maybe he's playing out of position. All that said, I still think Snow has something to work with. 

Hopefully the additions we've added this offseason will be to his benefit. 

18 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I’m not sure he’s the best linebacker on our team. 

Perryman is maybe the best FA signing this year, but he has the injury-prone label.......but come on Shaq is the no question best LB here given Perryman may miss a few games. No chance Carter is better, tho you could be thinking CHinn is still a LB. 

17 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Perryman is maybe the best FA signing this year, but he has the injury-prone label.......but come on Shaq is the no question best LB here given Perryman may miss a few games. No chance Carter is better, tho you could be thinking CHinn is still a LB. 

if shaq is our best we are still in a world of hurt at LB

On 7/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, Sgt Schultz said:

I wonder if part of Shaq's problem last year was playing next to Whitehead.  I can't imagine Whitehead gave anyone any feeling that they could safely assume the middle was taken care of.

I doubt he will ever live up to the future years of his contract, especially with the guaranteed money factored in.  My hope is he plays well enough to lessen that concern and make it worth pushing some of that out. 

If he can make it just expensive and not Hurney-esque, that will be about as good as anybody could hope for.  He didn't negotiate with himself on that deal, and it's not his fault our GM reacted to Luke's retirement by thinking if he paid Shaq like he was elite, he would become elite. 

Then add the "oh by the way, do it playing next to a void in the middle." 

Shaq was bad playing beside Luke