• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

11 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Do you think these coaches only know about players once they're in college? Rhule has probably known about Fields since he was a sophmore in high school. 

and yes, that is not living up to expectations. With a roster as loaded as Ohio States you need to be winning heismans and championships. The Ohio State fans I know were always disappointed with him on the field.

I know many Ohio St fans and none of them are disappointed with Fields. He lost to Alabama with a banged up roster and Clemson the year before while outplaying Lawrence. I really don’t know what more he could have done. Win the heisman? I don’t believe Lawrence has even done that… I understand some people think he won’t translate to the NFL, but he had a solid college career.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

You are talking about drafting another RB to install our double trouble run heavy offense. Both players got plenty of touches. It doesn’t really work that way with QBs and some other positions. You can double down on WRs too in the right offense. Most teams don’t ignore glaring needs to have these luxury picks. I kept hearing that TE Pitts was the best player in the draft, yet he went 4 because the top 3 teams had more pressing needs.

So if the Jags acquired Watson in the offseason with no legal issues they still take Lawrence? We obviously value Darnold very highly and feel he addresses our need at the position. If we didn’t acquire him we could have drafted a QB. Had we had the 3rd overall pick maybe we would have waited on the draft and not traded for him. 
So you don’t think off-season additions (especially via trade) don’t change a team’s draft board? That seems ridiculous…

Is Darnold comparable to Watson?

Remember the Panthers repeatedly said that having Darnold wouldn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. And frankly, I don't think that was a smokescreen.

The smokescreen was the supposed interest in Fields (something that's been confirmed since the draft).

3 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Poeple are saying two different things in this thread. 

Did we pass on Fields because we didn't like him or because we had already invested in Darnold?

I believe we liked Fields, but we were not sure if we could get him so we traded for Darnold, who we also liked, which was a sure thing.  At that point fields was no longer really an option on draft night.  We didn't like him so much more than Darnold to give up on Darnold already.

Simple question, if the trade for Darnold had not gone through do you believe we still would have picked Horn at 8? or drafted a QB?

And pretty much nothing that anybody who has an actual inside connection to the team has said supports your idea.

But yeah, I know. You and your fan theories know better than they do 🙄

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is Darnold comparable to Watson?

Remember the Panthers repeatedly said that having Darnold wouldn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. And frankly, I don't think that was a smokescreen.

The smokescreen was the supposed interest in Fields (something that's been confirmed since the draft).

Ok it’s going to be damn near impossible to tell what’s smokescreens and what isn’t. We aren’t even saying this happened to Carolina. Simply addressing a need before the draft can change your board ranking on prospects. It’s hard to argue against trading for Darnold made us much less desperate to draft a QB. As LG stated QB triumphs all (as to why the best prospect went 4 behind 3 QBs). Had we went into the draft with Teddy we very well could have drafted Fields/Jones or a signal caller.

The original question why would you pass on a guy at 8 you would have wanted at 3 has a possible answer of the need being address during the offseason (in a trade) in fear of that player not making it to 8. Watson was used as an extreme case to show it’s obviously possible. 

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And pretty much nothing that anybody who has an actual inside connection to the team has said supports your idea.

Not saying it happened, but we would never know if it did. Why were they wanting to trade for a QB instead of drafting one? Would that have changed if we had a top 3 pick? There is no way to tell… 

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Not saying it happened, but we would never know if it did. Why were they wanting to trade for a QB instead of drafting one? Would that have changed if we had a top 3 pick? There is no way to tell… 

I'd put it this way...

If you are unsettled at the quarterback position (and yes, our quarterback position is unsettled until Darnold shows he's up to it) and a player that you consider elite, can't miss, franchise quality, insert your adjective here falls to you, there's no way in hell you pass that guy up.

Thus, the very least you can conclude from this is that the Panthers don't think any of those descriptors apply to Justin Fields.

They may think he's decent, they may think he's okay, they may think he's not good enough or whatever, but if they believed he was a franchise quarterback, he'd be a Panther right now.

Which tells me...they don't.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd put it this way...

If you are unsettled at the quarterback position (and yes, our quarterback position is unsettled until Darnold shows he's up to it) and a player that you consider elite, can't miss, franchise quality, insert your adjective here falls to you, there's no way in hell you pass that guy up.

Thus, the very least you can conclude from this is that the Panthers don't think any of those descriptors apply to Justin Fields.

They may think he's decent, they may think he's okay, they may think he's not good enough or whatever, but if they believed he was a franchise quarterback, he'd be a Panther right now.

This is where I'm at. You don't pass on a a QB at #8 who you would've taken at #3 due to trading a 2nd, 4th, and 6th for a bust reclamation project. I know that burns people up to refer to Darnold as that, but right now that's what he is.

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Ok it’s going to be damn near impossible to tell what’s smokescreens and what isn’t. We aren’t even saying this happened to Carolina. Simply addressing a need before the draft can change your board ranking on prospects. It’s hard to argue against trading for Darnold made us much less desperate to draft a QB. As LG stated QB triumphs all (as to why the best prospect went 4 behind 3 QBs). Had we went into the draft with Teddy we very well could have drafted Fields/Jones or a signal caller.

The original question why would you pass on a guy at 8 you would have wanted at 3 has a possible answer of the need being address during the offseason (in a trade) in fear of that player not making it to 8. Watson was used as an extreme case to show it’s obviously possible. 

I really admire your patience, I truly do. 

But there is no way in Hades, you are going to get your point across. Usually I say. Never give up, never surrender. So, if you are enjoying it, have at it old boy.

Edited by iamhubby1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

what exactly did I say that they don't support?

and you never did answer the question earlier, if we had not been able to trade for Darnold do you still think we take Horn at 8?

42 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd put it this way...

No one knows how the draft falls in reality.  They didn’t have Fields, Lance, Jones, etc anywhere on their board.  Even as trade down options if there per the guys you said cleared all that up.  

It sure looks like they simply removed all QBs from the board and discussion after they gave up picks for Sam and knew they were going to have to pay to get Teddy out.  Which isn’t really about not liking a draft prospect at all.  Because you had highly regarded prospects for cheap at an assortment of different styles and fits.  

• Pie 1