• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers.... Odds be damned — they look like more than a 7.5-win team (*we think)

SBBlue

link:Carolina Panthers seem kinda stacked this year (deadspin.com)

Deadspin wins you money*: Slam that over on the Carolina Panthers
Odds be damned — they look like more than a 7.5-win team (*we think)

Right now, the team is projected to win just 7.5 games — tied for the 7th-lowest in the NFL, per Vegas Insider.

You’re telling me that, right now, the Denver Broncos — with a projected 8.5 wins — are in a better spot than the Carolina Panthers? The Panthers are in a division with the still-rebuilding Atlanta Falcons and a team that can’t figure out whether to start Jameis Winston or a tight end at quarterback, but the Broncos who have Teddy Bridgewater and are in a division with Patrick Mahomes and Justin Herbert are more likely to succeed than Carolina?

Make it make sense — please.....

Darnold is about to enter a system miles ahead of what he’s had in the past. The offensive line is still very questionable though. If anything is going to stop the Panthers, it is going to be lack of protection for Darnold. However, Matt Rhule seems more than capable of building an offensive game plan meant to protect his signal-caller. Last season, despite the lack of talent on the Panthers’ offensive line, Carolina quarterbacks were pressured on just 19.9 percent of their dropbacks in 2020 — the 10th-lowest rate in the NFL....

As of right now, I see no better over/under bet total than the Carolina Panthers. ...They are absolutely the most overlooked team in the league currently. Their schedule consists of two games against the Falcons, as well as matchups with Philadelphia, Houston, the Jets, and the Giants. Let’s say the Panthers win four of those games, they’d just need to go 4-7 in their final 11 games to hit the over. I’ll take those odds any day of the week. I’ll even go out on a limb and say that I wouldn’t be surprised if they sneak into the playoffs in 2021. Mark my words.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Since 2019:

1-3 against Atlanta

0-4 against New Orleans

1-3 against Tampa Bay.

8 wins is objectively realistic. The Broncos should be the same or less though based on the competition in their division.

What does that have to do with this team? This ain't your daddy's Pantherz.

So you are saying "8 wins is objectively realistic." But base it on faulty data? I do believe your objectivity may flawed.

• Pie 4

With an extra game to play with,  it helps the odds. We could get to 8 wins and still have a losing record with 9 losses. If we had split our 1 score losses last year we would have won 8 games. With a better D and O I think they help us win some of those games in the fourth quarter we lost last year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, panthers55 said:

With an extra game to play with,  it helps the odds. We could get to 8 wins and still have a losing record with 9 losses. If we had split our 1 score losses last year we would have won 8 games. With a better D and O I think they help us win some of those games in the fourth quarter we lost last year.

...assuming key players make it through all 17 games in one piece. 

• Pie 2