• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Still Want to Upgrade -- Via Trade??

SetfreexX

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Shitting on Darnold again out of nowhere?

Oh wee mayne, indeed.

Nope. Simply responding to a post suggesting we trade next year's 1st and our '23 2nd for an OT. Kinda a statement of reality. We'd be fresh out of trade bait and premium picks to acquire a QB via the draft. I don't think anyone in the Panthers organization is 100% sold on Darnold being the answer. If they were, they'd be trying to ink him a long-term extension right now while his value is low.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nope. Simply responding to a post suggesting we trade next year's 1st and our '23 2nd for an OT. Kinda a statement of reality. We'd be fresh out of trade bait and premium picks to acquire a QB via the draft. I don't think anyone in the Panthers organization is 100% sold on Darnold being the answer. If they were, they'd be trying to ink him a long-term extension right now while his value is low.

Well they did give him 19M, guaranteed, for….reasons? 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, t96 said:

Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Jamal Adams, etc.

37 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Nah the Seahawks went through a long stretch of trading away their 1sts for players around the league. They did it like three or four consecutive years in a very win now mentality. 

Those are trades of first round picks for established players though.

That's not what Marty did.

I don't think it was smart, but it's still not a long-term commitment. It was less of a commitment than we made to Teddy.

I knew where you were going with it and agree. It’s more I still can’t believe someone in an NFL front office thought it was a good idea. At least with Teddy they were trying to get a FA to sign a contract. With Darnold, he was already here and knew he had a year to prove himself. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

I knew where you were going with it and agree. It’s more I still can’t believe someone in an NFL front office thought it was a good idea. At least with Teddy they were trying to get a FA to sign a contract. With Darnold, he was already here and knew he had a year to prove himself. 

I think it has a lot to do with our cap space situation really opening up next year. If Darnold hits, $19M next year will still be cheap for a legit starting QB. If he flops, we can afford to eat the hit. Calculated gamble. I think the math is bad on the calculation, but we'll see how it works out.

3 hours ago, Shocker said:

Fitty just seems like a really good dude.  Glad he is running things.

Wonder if that player might be Robby Anderson

That’s what I think as well. Been weird he has left team a couple times for personal reasons and he really hasn’t looked right, looks unhappy. I personally don’t think he wants Sam as a qb. Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if it was him getting traded.

2 hours ago, t96 said:

I recall the same being said about Andrew Whitworth... Depending on what we'd have to give up I still think it could be an intriguing option. Could even slowly groom Moton to take over on the left side once he retired/moved on and then have Christensen at RT.

Exactly what I was thinking I wanted Whitworth so bad, everyone was like he is too old. Look how he changed that Rams oline. I’m still pretty pissed about that one.

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Exactly what I was thinking I wanted Whitworth so bad, everyone was like he is too old. Look how he changed that Rams oline. I’m still pretty pissed about that one.

I had a customer that was a die hard beaguals fan. He said during the week whitworth did not practice, at all. About the only thing he did was friday walk though. Knees and backs. He was a total gamer, and it worked for him. I do not think he could lasted another year, but what five year later he was still playing. Toughest SOB in the league...

• Beer 1

I think it has a lot to do with our cap space situation really opening up next year. If Darnold hits, $19M next year will still be cheap for a legit starting QB. If he flops, we can afford to eat the hit. Calculated gamble. I think the math is bad on the calculation, but we'll see how it works out.

If he “hits”, he’s getting a new deal anyhow. Meaning that first year probably won’t even be that much. Even Tannehill’s first year is 22.5M because TEN kept it higher than usual. So in the best case scenario of success for Darnold, what did risking 19M on a very unproven QB get the team. 

As opposed to Darnold being similar as he’s always been. Which makes him a backup QB with a 19M anchor attached. Added to Paradis(9.2), Reddick(4M), Boston(2.6), Erving and Elflein being 7M each to keep, or (4-5M) to cut. Shaq’s contract(18M to keep, 12.6 to cut. That’s a lot of wasted value. Eating 19M is never affordable. 

With no QB, 3 OL spots(if BC plays well) and other holes, they are going to need every dollar they can get. 

3 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It’s funny how many people hated the selection of Fitt, then changed the tune ASAP when they realized what a competent GM looked like after being traumatized by Hurndog for so many years. 

Not that Hurney wasn’t trash but Fit has been here 7 months. Not being trash isn’t equal to competency. No one he’s drafted or brought in from FA has stepped foot on the field yet for a season. He also has limited cap to worth with. Competency is yet to be determined.

Edited by onmyown