• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier or PJ

Both have basically one NFL start/game to their name.  

Carolina was able to blow a bad Lions team out with PJ and without CMC

Carolina got blown out by a mediocre Indy team with CMC putting up 170 yards 

neither are going to win games if called to be our starter.  Not enough to mean anything at least.  PJ Walker can offer more to the team during the week as our D preps for mobile opponents.  That’s the job considering who those two are.  Plus he is a Rhule guy (not saying it should matter but it clearly does). 

If I have to pick between the 2, I pick Grier. We have more invested in him and he is younger.

This Preseason:

Grier: 17/24 (70.8%) 175yds 0TD 0INT

Walker: 11/29 (37.9%) 169yds 1TD 0INT

Both have spent about the same time with 2s and 3s.

Grier started his 2 games as a rookie when we were hopeless and Fewell was coach in 2018.

PJ threw 1TD and 5INTs in 6 quarters last season. He didn’t beat the Lions the defense did.

I would personally prefer them to bring in a vet. But between the 2, I really don’t see why it’s close. This isn’t the XFL. The only reason PJ is here is because of the Rhule factor.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Familiarity with the playbook.  If Darnold goes down for 1-2 games, PJ or Grier can game manage.  If Darnold goes down for the season then, yeah, it doesn’t really matter.

If Darnold goes down for one or two series maybe either one could manage. But really, neither one is capable of holding the line for more than a quarter. They really are that bad. 

And Darnold... well, we really still don't know.

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

neither are going to win games if called to be our starter.  Not enough to mean anything at least.  PJ Walker can offer more to the team during the week as our D preps for mobile opponents.  That’s the job considering who those two are.  Plus he is a Rhule guy (not saying it should matter but it clearly does). 

I will say the Will Grier pick still just puzzles me. He was never going to be a Air Coryell QB and even under the WCO his arm is very weak. Not his fault our scouting department sucked but he should have been 7th round at best. I mean he wasn't even good in college.

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

Still hanging on to those two goofy arguments, I see.

I do agree Walker would be really helpful if we're prepping to face a team with a crappy quarterback.

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I will say the Will Grier pick still just puzzles me. He was never going to be a Air Coryell QB and even under the WCO his arm is very weak. Not his fault our scouting department sucked but he should have been 7th round at best. I mean he wasn't even good in college.

He wasn’t as bad as you think.

1BC4F6D0-0F74-4754-BB95-FE86D2E74E4C.jpeg

8DF0FF34-8363-42FF-95B3-65454ACC37D3.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

If I have to pick between the 2, I pick Grier. We have more invested in him and he is younger.

This Preseason:

Grier: 17/24 (70.8%) 175yds 0TD 0INT

Walker: 11/29 (37.9%) 169yds 1TD 0INT

Both have spent about the same time with 2s and 3s.

Grier started his 2 games as a rookie when we were hopeless and Fewell was coach in 2018.

PJ threw 1TD and 5INTs in 6 quarters last season. He didn’t beat the Lions the defense did.

I would personally prefer them to bring in a vet. But between the 2, I really don’t see why it’s close. This isn’t the XFL. The only reason PJ is here is because of the Rhule factor.

Some more preseason stats 

PJ  - 0 sacks

Grier - 3 sacks

PJ - 2 80 yard drives in his first half 

Grier - 1 50 yard drive in his first half 

1 minute ago, Cdparr7 said:

37.8% completion % my guy.

There are more stats than that my guy.  

compare the first half of each against each other. 

TDs, passing yards, sacks taken,  number of scoring drives, number of long drives.  

PJ edged him in all those. 

Now if you want to compare 2nd half reps? Grier gets him there.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

There are more stats than that my guy.  

compare the first half of each against each other. 

TDs, passing yards, sacks taken,  number of scoring drives, number of long drives.  

PJ edged him in all those. 

Now if you want to compare 2nd half reps? Grier gets him there.  

Gantt...

Grier was better against the Ravens than Walker was against the Colts...

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gantt...

Grier was better against the Ravens than Walker was against the Colts...

I’d give PJ the slight edge.  But I certainly don’t have a problem with someone thinking Grier edged him.  Either would be a fair take. 

I have a problem with someone thinking one has been significantly better than the other this preseason.   And that it isn’t close. 

Gantt also said Grier might be making it a competition now.  Which means he had PJ ahead going into last night.