• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer at Panthers camp

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

Yeah, I get it.  Personally I start every season optimistic until I am given reason not to be by their play on the field in actual games that count. 

I have become a "wait and see" guy and try to temper the expectations. It's been almost three decades and most of it pretty disappointing. It's just easier to start out expecting little and be pleasantly surprised when it all works out.

I gotta be honest, prior to the playoffs in 2015, most of that season didn't even feel real. It was like a dream I kept waiting to wake up from. Then when we got to the playoffs, I was all in. I knew we were a top team. By the Super Bowl, I had absolutely no doubt at all we were the superior team.

Then.....well.....you know the rest.

So, it's pretty easy as a Panthers fan to temper the expectations.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I have become a "wait and see" guy and try to temper the expectations. It's been almost three decades and most of it pretty disappointing. It's just easier to start out expecting little and be pleasantly surprised when it all works out.

I gotta be honest, prior to the playoffs in 2015, most of that season didn't even feel real. It was like a dream I kept waiting to wake up from. Then when we got to the playoffs, I was all in. I knew we were a top team. By the Super Bowl, I had absolutely no doubt at all we were the superior team.

Then.....well.....you know the rest.

So, it's pretty easy as a Panthers fan to temper the expectations.

Well-said about being a Panthers fan, especially the emotional rollercoaster of 2015... I too had zero doubts after we destroyed Arizona in the NFC Championship game... even 6 years later it sucked... only consolation is knowing we didn't blow a 25 point lead I guess...

• Beer 1

Just now, Seltzer said:

Well-said about being a Panthers fan, especially the emotional rollercoaster of 2015... I too had zero doubts after we destroyed Arizona in the NFC Championship game... even 6 years later it sucked... only consolation is knowing we didn't blow a 25 point lead I guess...

I have a buddy that is a lifelong Broncos fan that was needling me about the game last week. I wanted to slug him. I am still sore about that game.

It's also the game that made Georgia one of my most hated states.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have a buddy that is a lifelong Broncos fan that was needling me about the game last week. I wanted to slug him. I am still sore about that game.

It's also the game that made Georgia one of my most hated states.

I have one of those too… It’s been 6 years.  Not 1 word.  Not 1.

He knows he’d have to poo his own teeth if he brought it up.

Thats was a dark period for me.  At the time, the team was all I had. That loss took something from me.

Obviously it’s not a good plan to channel all of your emotional and mental stability into a sports team.

It don’t go good…

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I have one of those too… It’s been 6 years.  Not 1 word.  Not 1.

He knows he’d have to poo his own teeth if he brought it up.

Thats was a dark period for me.  At the time, the team was all I had. That loss took something from me.

Obviously it’s not a good plan to channel all of your emotional and mental stability into a sports team.

It don’t go good…

My anger was having to sit in a sports bar in the asshole, middle of fuging nowhere in southern Georgia Cam's HOME STATE and listen to a bunch of racist fuging rednecks trash him and root for the "Great White Hope" in Peyton Manning. You want to talk about raging anger. The only reason I didn't get into a fight was I had a couple of work buddies there with me. I'm not that type at all but the poo I had to listen to while we were taking the screwing of the decade from those refs and our coaching staff......boy I was fighting mad.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

14 hours ago, mav1234 said:

The questions about Darnold always were about processing so that comment is encouraging.

Of course I'd rather it be "omg who knew how amazing Darnold would be outside NY!!!"... But the reality is it was never going to be that fast a turnaround, if one happens at all

It's hard to learn to process if your coach has a "idea book" rather than a play book and your QB coach is more worried about updating his resume`. Darnold's in a much better spot than before, here's hoping he can reach his potential.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

My anger was having to sit in a sports bar in the asshole, middle of fuging nowhere in southern Georgia Cam's HOME STATE and listen to a bunch of racist fuging rednecks trash him and root for the "Great White Hope" in Peyton Manning. You want to talk about raging anger. The only reason I didn't get into a fight was I had a couple of work buddies there with me. I'm not that type at all but the poo I had to listen to while we were taking the screwing of the decade from those refs and our coaching staff......boy I was fighting mad.

I was already a young adult before a young man like Cam could play CFB in the south…much less QB. I remember well that 1970 game against Alabama with our Black QB, WRs, RBs and defensive players…we were scared sh*tless for their safety.  Some things never change.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

I was already a young adult before a young man like Cam could play CFB in the south…much less QB. I remember well that 1970 game against Alabama with our Black QB, WRs, RBs and defensive players…we were scared sh*tless for their safety.  Some things never change.

I have lived and worked all over the country for the past couple of decades. It never ceases to amaze me that wherever you are in the country, you can find some backwards people that still exist like that. 

Some places are a little more "special" than others......

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Yet….not a single glowing remark about our quarterback.

Tamper your expectations folks. It starts and ends with the QB.

Maybe it’s time to reflect and realize you’re only reading what you want to read.

No one on this forum has high/unrealistic expectations for Darnold. Most people post they’ll be ecstatic for 7/8 wins and mainly base that on the team as a whole being better and Darnold being average.

And if it started and ended with the QB the Texans would have more than 4 wins last year.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have lived and worked all over the country for the past couple of decades. It never ceases to amaze me that wherever you are in the country, you can find some backwards people that still exist like that. 

Some places are a little more "special" than others......

Oh yeah, we have plenty in CA, but there is a reason there are no HBCUs in CA.  No need, all schools, colleges, universities were founded on racial and religious equality.  Dr. King sent freedom fighters (black and white) to our universities to talk about the reality of racism they were facing during the Civil Right Movement.  A lot was kept hidden since, but the last five years, the dark underbelly of racism is out in the open.  

Again.  It’s a cause of great sadness to me, and I know others…there were many courageous people who spoke out against racism, and paid with their lives.

Edited by 1usctrojan
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

Oh yeah, we have plenty in CA, but there is a reason there are no HBCUs in CA.  No need, all schools, colleges, universities were founded on racial and religious equality.  Dr. King sent sent freedom fighters (black and white) to our universities to talk about the reality of racism they were facing during the Civil Right Movement.  A lot was kept hidden, but the last five years, the dark underbelly of racism is out in the open.  Again.

No doubt. I just did a big West Coast trip(WA, OR, CA) so I saw the good and the bad. No place is as homogenous as people left, right and center like to stereotype. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

No doubt. I just did a big West Coast trip(WA, OR, CA) so I saw the good and the bad. No place is as homogenous as people left, right and center like to stereotype. 

Oh, I know.  I’m white, but a member of a minority that I identify with very proudly.  My people taught Anglos how to be cowboys….even taught them all about rodeos and the whole cowboy lingo. 😊

• Beer 1