• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good feels, but we see the elephant in the room

top dawg

1 hour ago, Tinamedina said:

The OLINE is better than yall give it credit for. Sam darnold is who he is. The OLINE holds up long enough to make plays. If sam doesn't, it's on sam. Hes a 4 year vet, #NoCoddling

Did you watch the game last night?   If you did then you saw something totally different than I did.  Almost every negative play had pressure right up the middle of the line almost instantly.  That's not coddling.  You want any qb to have a pocket to be able to step up in.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Seems every year we bitch about the O line yet they tend to get ranked in the middle most years.

Using pff for comparison.

2020 -19th

2019- 18th

2018- 17th

You see the theme. So now we are ranked 30th heading into the season. My prediction is we end up better than 30th perhaps in the high teens once again.

So can we stop bitching about how awful they are. With no gameplanning they played 3 top 10 defenses and looked OK. Not good but better than all of this bitching would suggest.

3 isn't really a trend but that number is falling not rising. If'n it was going the other way we might actually expect it to be 16th instead of 20th. 

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

3 isn't really a trend but that number is falling not rising. If'n it was going the other way we might actually expect it to be 16th instead of 20th. 

The trend I was referring to was the tendency to bash the line and bitch to only find out that we end up better we started and are decent versus a statistically trend.

13 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Did you watch the game last night?   If you did then you saw something totally different than I did.  Almost every negative play had pressure right up the middle of the line almost instantly.  That's not coddling.  You want any qb to have a pocket to be able to step up in.

Yeah, speaking of the coddling thing, I kind of agree with the coaching staff on not playing Darnold much this preseason after watching that Steelers game. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, speaking of the coddling thing, I kind of agree with the coaching staff on not playing Darnold much this preseason after watching that Steelers game. 

Yea I was expecting a lot more of the trouble to come from the edge, not straight up the middle in Darnold's face.

Just now, Tr3ach said:

Yea I was expecting a lot more of the trouble to come from the edge, not straight up the middle in Darnold's face.

Yeah, that was surprising and troubling. They need to get it figured out and quickly. Otherwise Darnold is going to be seeing a lot of ghosts as his brain is occupied trying to run for his fuging life.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The trend I was referring to was the tendency to bash the line and bitch to only find out that we end up better we started and are decent versus a statistically trend.

Oh yea I know I was talking about our OL ranking was going in what could be a trend in the rankings and was just saying that 3 isn't really a big enough sample size for that but something that will catch a primates eye anyway.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

I thought we would be able to get another season out of Paradis but it's looking iffy. We still should have had a solid backup alternative in mind if not just good depth as a precaution. With all the talk of left tackle center has been overlooked as if we had a younger Ryan Kalil there and that just isn't the case. Now we've snapped back to reality 🤷‍♂️

I'd need to go back and watch the game, but I'm 99% sure Paradis gave up two sacks and a TFL. 

Elflein and Erving were ok - they seem to come in for undue criticism because they're FAs I guess.

I'd move Elflein to C and experiment with the G we have on the roster at LG / RG.

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I'd need to go back and watch the game, but I'm 99% sure Paradis gave up two sacks and a TFL. 

Elflein and Erving were ok - they seem to come in for undue criticism because they're FAs I guess.

I'd move Elflein to C and experiment with the G we have on the roster at LG / RG.

The two E's mostly got a lot of flack bc of their lack of availability which for a lineman is obviously key. But to see Paradis abused by backups that badly is very discouraging. I'll take whatever improvement we can find but from here it looks like C is a need in the next draft for sure.