• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st Round Redo: Horn vs Slater

hepcat

Go back to the draft after watching that pathetic performance by the offensive line.

Would you draft Slater over Horn?

I would. Every time.

Jaycee is obviously going to be a good player. But so is Slater. All indications on the Chargers is that he’s looking dominant already.

Corner is easier to find talent for in later rounds than LT. Could have drafted a corner where they drafted Christiansen. And has LT locked up and made the entire offensive line look better.

Maybe Christiansen will work out at LT. Maybe big money Moton moves over there. Either way I think I’d rather be concerned about who is playing corner than LT.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 10

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Go back to the draft after watching that pathetic performance by the offensive line.

Would you draft Slater over Horn?

I would. Every time.

Jaycee is obviously going to be a good player. But so is Slater. All indications on the Chargers is that he’s looking dominant already.

Corner is easier to find talent for in later rounds than LT. Could have drafted a corner where they drafted Christiansen. And has LT locked up and made the entire offensive line look better.

Maybe Christiansen will work out at LT. Maybe big money Moton moves over there. Either way I think I’d rather be concerned about who is playing corner than LT.

This is a postseason discussion, not a preseason discussion. You have to let them play actual NFL snaps before you have an idea of what they are.

• Pie 7
  • Flames 1

Given the wide receivers in our division it is Horn. Our O line gets criticized every year yet we end up middle of the pack. Whether it is Moton or Erving we will be okay this year.  Would I have liked Slater? Sure but not instead of Horn who if we didn't draft him would be playing in New Orleans against us.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Given the wide receivers in our division it is Horn. Our O line gets criticized every year yet we end up middle of the pack. Whether it is Moton or Erving we will be okay this year.  Would I have liked Slater? Sure but not instead of Horn who if we didn't draft him would be playing in New Orleans against us.

Rhule valued getting off the field on 3rd down by drafting Horn. But as we saw last night, is that even going to matter if the offensive line is getting absolutely mauled and Darnold is getting sacked? Even when the defense gave the offensive good field position with a turnover they couldn’t capitalize because of poor offensive line play. 

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Rhule valued getting off the field on 3rd down by drafting Horn. But as we saw last night, is that even going to matter if the offensive line is getting absolutely mauled and Darnold is getting sacked? Even when the defense gave the offensive good field position with a turnover they couldn’t capitalize because of poor offensive line play. 

It didn't look good but we still have to see real game reps to know what we are dealing with completely. TBH, we really don't even know what our starting five on OL is going to be in week 1.

This preseason has been a crazy amount of shuffling around. The panic will set in if in the first few weeks of the season, we are still shuffling that OL around. If I see that, I will know we are gonna be in a lot of trouble all season long.

Edited by kungfoodude

I dont do the shoulda coulda woulda thing. Corner was just as much an area of weakness. Yes we have desperately needed a LT tackle for years but I am happy with being able to get horn and still get some solid offensive linemen later in the draft. Sewell was our top guy. Lions unexpectedly took him. Horn was the next guy on our board so we took him.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The offensive line didn't get mauled all night and improved as they played together. They also were blitzed on every play against a top 3 defense last year  so I think your analysis is overblown and premature.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, panthers55 said:

The offensive line didn't get mauled all night and improved as they played together. They also were blitzed on every play against a top 3 defense last year  so I think your analysis is overblown and premature.

What game were you watching? That was the Steelers backups and they got pressure every single play. You want to imagine what their defense would have looked like if TJ Watt and Bud Dupree played? LOL 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It didn't look good but we still have to see real game reps to know what we are dealing with completely. TBH, we really don't even know what our starting five on OL is going to be in week 1.

This preseason has been a crazy amount of shuffling around. The panic will set in if in the first few weeks of the season, we are still shuffling that OL around. If I see that, I will know we are gonna be in a lot of trouble all season long.

Offensive line will be a project all season. I just hope Rhule is willing to play some young guys sooner than later unlike the previous head coach.

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Offensive line will be a project all season. I just hope Rhule is willing to play some young guys sooner than later unlike the previous head coach.

I don't think we have to worry about that with this staff. They don't have any issue playing young players. Could be another Whitehead situation, the young guys just aren't quite there yet. 

Slater looked good his preseason game, but was going against a 7th round rookie. If they both become great players then yeah you want the LT over the CB, I’m just not sure our staff was high on Slater at LT… I think Horn has the higher floor and ceiling in our staff’s eyes.