• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule vs Saleh

NAS

3 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

Haven't seen anything to compare yet since Saleh has yet to coach his first regular season NFL game, let alone the entire season. I'd say Rhule year two has MIGHTILY increased the talent at the bottom of the roster so far. Panthers are set up excellently for the next few seasons. 

This is also something that hasn't happened. We don't know if we have mightily increased the bottom of the roster talent....yet.

This is all theory. We are talking about "better overall career" at the point where one guy has never coached an NFL game and the other has coached 16.

That's why I am personally leaning on history rather than what I may think of the coaches themselves. Seems like a safer bet to make a waaaaaaaaaay too early prediction.

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

From what I’ve heard from 49ers friends, Salah is mostly a rahrah guy that looks great on the sideline. Not that impressive as a cordinator, but time will tell.

That is a description that could be applied to many head coaches, successful and not. Being a great offensive or defensive mind does not always translate into success as an NFL head coach.

Edited by kungfoodude

12 hours ago, onmyown said:

Honestly, Saleh. 

A lot more experience, less time to adjust, less of an unknown. Straight college to NFL historically has putrid chance of sustained success.

Only way to bet on Rhule is to go against the stats and odds. But I hope I am wrong.

Depends a lot of where they go too, there aren’t many franchises the Panthers are better than but the Jets may be one. So we have that.

I think putrid is a bit excessive. Just the (11) coaches since 2000 are 220-237, so not far below .500. That list doesn't include Pete Carrol or Jimmy Johnson. Some of those (Kelly, Petrino, Spurrier) were trying to gimmick the NFL with their system. Rhule is a program builder and will adapt to what he needs. Not saying you may not be right. I am pretty split because I like what I've seen from Saleh and am cautiously optimistic on Rhule.

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

All this hate for your own teams coach because he didn't draft a player that you experts wanted him to.

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

There's a number of fans that have a huge downer on Rhule. Personally I think it's because he's the guy that cut their hero, but maybe I'm projecting...

This inaccurately puts people who have objective input on this hypothetical question into a very, very small box. 

You don’t pick Rhule because he didn’t draft Fields and cut Cam? Come on.

There is a lot more to consider.

I think Rhule has done a good job so far. People forget just how bad we were supposed to be last season. It was a huge surprise that we were competitive. We've known that this is a rebuild and it is going to take years, so it is just unrealistic to expect legit super bowl contention at this point. He has always said that his main focus is on developing and teaching, and that has obviously happened in spades since he's been here. 

There are some problems though. We've heard rumors about him not really connecting with the players on a personal level, and we've seen video proof of that in some of the camp confidential videos. That's something the players won't care about if we start winning though.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I think Rhule has done a good job so far. People forget just how bad we were supposed to be last season. It was a huge surprise that we were competitive. We've known that this is a rebuild and it is going to take years, so it is just unrealistic to expect legit super bowl contention at this point. He has always said that his main focus is on developing and teaching, and that has obviously happened in spades since he's been here. 

There are some problems though. We've heard rumors about him not really connecting with the players on a personal level, and we've seen video proof of that in some of the camp confidential videos. That's something the players won't care about if we start winning though.

Capers took over an expansion team

Fox took over a 1 win team

Rivera took over a 2 win team

They all were in the postseason within 3 years. 

It's the NFL.  This year and the next IMO should decide if Rhule should stay or leave. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

It's the NFL.  This year and the next IMO should decide if Rhule should stay or leave. 

All of that was under a different owner.  The new owner gets to decide what the standard will be in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

All of that was under a different owner.  The new owner gets to decide what the standard will be in that regard. 

ok, but as a fan, having a new owner doesn't actually change how I view a HC. 

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, we should be in playoffs next year or bust

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

ok, but as a fan, having a new owner doesn't actually change how I view a HC. 

I can see that and that's cool.  I have my doubts about a lot of things going on but I'm willing to let it play out.  There's more than one way to skin this cat so I'm open to learning new things. 

23 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

We've heard rumors about him not really connecting with the players on a personal level, and we've seen video proof of that in some of the camp confidential videos.

This is news to me, can you be more specific about these rumors or video evidence?

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

This is news to me, can you be more specific about these rumors or video evidence?

Brian Burns was asked how Rhule differs from Rivera. Burns laughed and said that Rivera really understood what he was going through as a player and connected with him more on a personal level, while Rhule was more strategic and analytical. It was on Aquib Talib's podcast. 

KeepPounding.tv claims that players have contacted him and said negative things about how Rhule interacts with players. This is supposedly what led to Denzel Perryman getting traded.

In the camp confidential videos he seems extremely impersonal, like he's a race horse owner talking about what he needs to do with them better. The team meeting footage felt really weird to me too; half of the guys were obviously not paying attention while with Rivera they seemed laser focused.

15 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Brian Burns was asked how Rhule differs from Rivera. Burns laughed and said that Rivera really understood what he was going through as a player and connected with him more on a personal level, while Rhule was more strategic and analytical. It was on Aquib Talib's podcast. 

KeepPounding.tv claims that players have contacted him and said negative things about how Rhule interacts with players. This is supposedly what led to Denzel Perryman getting traded.

In the camp confidential videos he seems extremely impersonal, like he's a race horse owner talking about what he needs to do with them better. The team meeting footage felt really weird to me too; half of the guys were obviously not paying attention while with Rivera they seemed laser focused.

I'm ok if he's more business than play, but concerned if they're tuning him out.  I don't see any evidence of that on the field though.  Brian's comments make sense because Rivera was a former NFL player, I wouldn't necessarily see it as Rhule not connecting with them.  While Rivera came off as a players coach it seems like team lacked discipline as a result, I think there's a fine line between being liked and being respected. 

Edited by NAS
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Laser focused but unable to put up back-to-back winnings seasons.

• Pie 2