• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean Ryan on key Darnold improvement (P-Wire's Rizzuti) & my $0.02

top dawg

IMO, this whole "happy feet" syndrome has been way overblown.

It stems mostly from Steve Smith's on-air comments, early in the last broadcast.  Maybe Smith should stick to critiquing WRs, CBs, and route running, about which he's an expert.  He's never been a QB, never thrown a pass, to my knowledge, and has never stood in any pocket, under a rush.

Try to recall the footwork of Peyton Manning.  I think that would be described as "happy feet," when in reality, it's far better than standing flat-footed.  Manning chose that method to be better prepared to launch in any direction.  I'd describe it, not as "happy feet,' but as versatile and athletic footwork.

• Flames 1

20 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

It stems mostly from Steve Smith's on-air comments, early in the last broadcast.  Maybe Smith should stick to critiquing WRs, CBs, and route running, about which he's an expert.  He's never been a QB, never thrown a pass, to my knowledge, and has never stood in any pocket, under a rush.

Try to recall the footwork of Peyton Manning.  I think that would be described as "happy feet," when in reality, it's far better than standing flat-footed.  Manning chose that method to be better prepared to launch in any direction.  I'd describe it, not as "happy feet,' but as versatile and athletic footwork.

I mean, that's one way to see it, but even Ryan alluded to the fact that Sam apparently moved way too much in the pocket before Ryan coached him up. Ryan didn't use the term "happy feet", but that's just semantics. I really don't see how you can spin frenetic feet due to panicking from real or perceived pressure in the pocket as a good thing. "Athletic" footwork is positive when the QB is purposefully moving them in order to avoid pointed pressure in the pocket, so hopefully that's what Sam will excel at as a Panther. But, it all remains to be seen.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, bigdavis said:

Amen, dude.    Stick to what you know best, is the thing here. 🙂

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, that's one way to see it, but even Ryan alluded to the fact that Sam apparently moved way too much in the pocket before Ryan coached him up. Ryan didn't use the term "happy feet", but that's just semantics. I really don't see how you can spin frenetic feet due to panicking from real or perceived pressure in the pocket as a good thing. "Athletic" footwork is positive when the QB is purposefully moving them in order to avoid pointed pressure in the pocket, so hopefully that's what Sam will excel at as a Panther. But, it all remains to be seen.

Well Sean Ryan's opinion holds more weight 'cause he knows what the hell he's talking about.  He's the QB COACH after all.   (something Sam never had with the Jets)

Smitty is just being Smitty.   Love the guy and his commentary but critiquing a QB's footwork(even though it is true to a degree) is like "sure man, whatever you say" from me coupled with an eyeroll.  

Edited by glenwo2

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Amen, dude.    Stick to what you know best, is the thing here. 🙂

Well Sean Ryan's opinion holds more weight 'cause he knows what the hell he's talking about.  He's the QB COACH after all.   (something Sam never had with the Jets)

Smitty is just being Smitty.   Love the guy and his commentary but critiquing a QB's footwork(even though it is true to a degree) is like "sure man, whatever you say" from me coupled with an eyeroll.  

Honestly, the Smitty thing must have not made an impression because I don't remember it. Now admittedly I could have been distracted.

I just don't see why what he said has any relevance whatsoever to what Ryan said. It certainly wasn't on my mindset when creating the thread. 

21 hours ago, OldhamA said:

They're not going to fix his footwork in one off-season. It's a long term commitment.

From what we saw last week his footwork has improved - that's all we can ask in three months. He's coachable and has a good QB coach for the first time.

Exactly.  Any change requires repetition and that takes time.  

On an off note, Darin Gantt attributed the exact first quote to Ryan referencing P.J. Walker in another article.

"I think his footwork, his footwork in the pocket, there's less movement," Ryan said. "I don't think he moves as much when he doesn't have to. Again, for me, that's a big deal.

I was about to blame Antony Rizutti for some bummy, piecemeal journalism, but it was actually Gantt that made the error, as the question was in reference to Sam Darnold (at the very beginning of the vid).

Gantt works for the Panthers, but he attributed an answer about Darnold to Walker, so the bummy, piecemeal work was by the Panthers' finest.🙄

Anthony Rizzuti for USA Today FTW!

Tagging you, @Mr. Scot, because you may be mildly interested

Edited by top dawg

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, the Smitty thing must have not made an impression because I don't remember it. Now admittedly I could have been distracted.

I just don't see why what he said has any relevance whatsoever to what Ryan said. It certainly wasn't on my mindset when creating the thread. 

It has relevance as far as pointing out that I trust the opinion of an actual QB Coach over an amazing WR like Smitty.   Nevermind that he was correct but I always wait for the Coaches to say something to confirm Sam's issue instead of depending on Non-Coaches viewpoints.

Edited by glenwo2

5 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

It has relevance as far as pointing out that I trust the opinion of an actual QB Coach over an amazing WR like Smitty.   Nevermind that he was correct but I always wait for the Coaches to say something to confirm Sam's issue instead of depending on Non-Coaches viewpoints.

I agree about the coach; I just don't believe what Smitty said has any relevance to this thread. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree about the coach; I just don't believe what Smitty said has any relevance to this thread. 

I guess when @bigdavis brought up the "Happy feet" comment by Smitty, I basically involved that into the discussion.

Sorry, bigdavis but your comment apparently has no relevance here, per top dawg.   Have a nice day.  🙃

Edited by glenwo2