• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Working Out Duke Johnson Today

Proudiddy

3 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

He got dumped by the Jaguars in about two weeks. I would not expect much if Carolina does sign him. 

He is much needed depth behind Chuba who is expected to have more touches with CMC out. Chuba has had a rough time catching the ball which is prolly why they're bringing in duke johnson

Edited by CarolinaLivin

23 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Averages 5 yards a carry. Nearly 5k career all-purpose yards and 20 TDs.

I've never been able to understand why he's not been used more in the NFL. I don't think we'll sign him, because life isn't that fair, but I think he's a brilliant player.

IMO, and I acknowledge it may be skewed by my own misguided perception of him, he has such a high average yards per carry because he can break monster runs. I really liked him coming out of college back in the day. But it has seemed to me that in the NFL as a runner he might run 10 times for 6 yards but then on that 11th carry he can break it off for a 60 yard score. 

So I think his average might be a bit skewed by that? I just don't feel he's a consistent runner. Doesn't run particularly well between the tackles. But he has the ability to break one off and once he gets behind you, you likely aren't catching back up to him. I think that's why he evolved into a pass catching back. You don't want to hand it off to him over and over but get him in space and he can make something happen for you.

Either way, like you, I am a fan of his. He is a playmaker, even if a bit inconsistent. And he may be an ideal fit to play the CMC role until CMC can get back out there. 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

IMO, and I acknowledge it may be skewed by my own misguided perception of him, he has such a high average yards per carry because he can break monster runs. I really liked him coming out of college back in the day. But it has seemed to me that in the NFL as a runner he might run 10 times for 6 yards but then on that 11th carry he can break it off for a 60 yard score. 

So I think his average might be a bit skewed by that? I just don't feel he's a consistent runner. Doesn't run particularly well between the tackles. But he has the ability to break one off and once he gets behind you, you likely aren't catching back up to him. I think that's why he evolved into a passing catching back. You don't want to hand it off to him over and over but get him in space and he can make something happen for you.

Either way, like you, I am a fan of his. He is a playmaker, even if a bit inconsistent. And he may be an ideal fit to play the CMC role until CMC can get back out there. 

He's not going to make plays that aren't there at this level (he did in HS and College), so if you put him behind a bad Oline he's going to struggle running the ball.

That said, if the play IS there to be made he exploits it - which accounts for the boom or bust nature of some of his carries. 

Ignore the avatar for a moment - to me has has excellent feet and vision, great hands for the position and good (but not breakaway) speed. He's not the monster athlete you want as your starting RB (he's not going to run people over very often), which is why I think he's always been relegated to 3DRB duties as he's versatile af, but the skill / talent has always been there to be a solid RB1 to me.

Who knows if we sign him - having Dan Morgan on staff won't hurt his chances. He's a better back right now than Hubbard, put it that way (unless he's had a significant injury I'm unaware of).

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's not going to make plays that aren't there at this level (he did in HS and College), so if you put him behind a bad Oline he's going to struggle running the ball.

That said, if the play IS there to be made he exploits it - which accounts for the boom or bust nature of some of his carries. 

Ignore the avatar for a moment - to me has has excellent feet and vision, great hands for the position and good (but not breakaway) speed. He's not the monster athlete you want as your starting RB (he's not going to run people over very often), which is why I think he's always been relegated to 3DRB duties as he's versatile af, but the skill / talent has always been there to be a solid RB1 to me.

Who knows if we sign him - having Dan Morgan on staff won't hurt his chances. He's a better back right now than Hubbard, put it that way (unless he's had a significant injury I'm unaware of).

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. He’s definitely more polished than Hubbard at the very least, but I’ve always liked Duke Johnson. Would be very happy to have him here, assuming he’s still in football shape and ready to go. 

I would have honestly been much more about getting him than Royce Freeman so my ideal world would be he makes plays until CMC gets back and hangs onto the job after he returns letting Freeman move on.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

For a few games, yeah. Then he started breaking down and we had to go runningback by committee.

Basically he's not back for the same reason Russell Okung isn't.

Oh seems we have that issue all the sudden. I don't remember Stew or Dwill being so injured.