• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A critique of Darnold through 4 games

LinvilleGorge

11 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

It’s a young team, still developing.  You do what you have to do to score points, and up to the game with Dallas, no one accounted for his running ability.  Those basketball moves again, use the skills you have.

One very positive, he seems to be gaining more cred with his teammates, judging from comments by players like Reddick and McCaffrey, for example.  He’s one of them, not “The QB”.  Let’s see how it goes.

*Even our boards are surprised by the running TDs, the coaching staff while he was in college didn’t like him running, nor did the Jets.

He's showing impressive scrambling ability in general.

I think the playmakers he has available are really opening things up for him... I'm hoping the chemistry he has with DJ sticks around after CMCs return.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Oh I've accepted your takes about our current QB.  You are not a believer and that's your right. 

If you took my comments in this thread as "backhanded compliments" then you're just beyond hardheaded. Sam has far exceeded my expectations but there are two IMO obvious areas for improvement. I guess being a "believer" means only glowing praise all the time, nothing else can be accepted. We already dealt with a very annoying group of posters who did that with Cam. I really hope it doesn't happen with Darnold and honestly, the fans that followed Darnold here aren't among that very small group. It's long-term posters. It's just weird. We're all desperate for a new legit entrenched franchise QB, but don't go over the cliff with it.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've spent the last few years arguing (correctly so) that rushing stats and touchdowns should be considered when evaluating quarterback play with Newton.

Now suddenly somebody is arguing that they shouldn't be? 🤔

Yes, passing ability is more essential than running ability, but having both is great.

Well if it's in the stat sheet and counts as a score any unbiased observer should be considering it when evaluating. The real life ramifications of using your quarterback in that manner is another conversation tho and even someone built like Cam Newton could only last for so long. It's a convo of use and effectiveness vs sustainability and viability. Let Sam use his legs but Carolina has talent surrounding him that can and should make his life less complicated as well.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

If you took my comments in this thread as "backhanded compliments" then you're just beyond hardheaded. Sam has far exceeded my expectations but there are two IMO obvious areas for improvement. I guess being a "believer" means only glowing praise all the time, nothing else can be accepted. We already dealt with a very annoying group of posters who did that with Cam. I really hope it doesn't happen with Darnold and honestly, the fans that followed Darnold here aren't among that very small group. It's long-term posters. It's just weird. We're all desperate for a new legit entrenched franchise QB, but don't go over the cliff with it.

I'm not praising or finding fault in his play.  I'm not advocating you praise him either. My comments were that no matter how hard this kid plays its not enough. It will never be enough for those that look to find fault.  It was the same for Cam and it will be the same for Sam.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Well if it's in the stat sheet and counts as a score any unbiased observer should be considering it when evaluating. The real life ramifications of using your quarterback in that manner is another conversation tho and even someone built like Cam Newton could only last for so long. It's a convo of use and effectiveness vs sustainability and viability. Let Sam use his legs but Carolina has talent surrounding him that can and should make his life less complicated as well.

You're talking about very different running styles though.

Darnold isn't gonna run anybody over and he can slide pretty well. Heck, he's hardly been touched the times he has run.

Frankly, my bigger concern when it comes to Darnold isn't how much he runs but how much he gets hit behind a porous offensive line.

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

He's showing impressive scrambling ability in general.

I think the playmakers he has available are really opening things up for him... I'm hoping the chemistry he has with DJ sticks around after CMCs return.

We’re all happy he’s with the Panthers….there was a loud, collective groan when the Jets selected him in the draft, that place was so wrong for him, and him for them.  He seems to fit in, in every way in Charlotte, from coaching, the city to the culture and fan base.  He has a chance to succeed, that’s all you can ask, the rest is up to him.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Darnold isn't gonna run anybody over and he can slide pretty well. Heck, he's hardly been touched the times he has run.

Frankly, my bigger concern when it comes to Darnold isn't how much he runs but how much he gets hit behind a porous offensive line.

Playing linebacker helps, same as WR. Also, being a star basketball player, baseball player…. “The more you know….”

Edited by 1usctrojan
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Playing linebacker helps, same as WR.  “The more you know….”

Back during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days, Dick Vermeil used to coach his receivers to basically duck and cover if they were about to get hit rather than trying for extra yards.

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His scrambling ability is probably the only reason he isn't injured yet, heh. 

I really hope we find a solution to give him a bit more time.

To the OPs point I feel he isn't comfortable in a clean pocket because it's hard to know how long he has to go thru his reads.

• Pie 1

Just now, mav1234 said:

His scrambling ability is probably the only reason he isn't injured yet, heh. 

I really hope we find a solution to give him a bit more time.

To the OPs point I feel he isn't comfortable in a clean pocket because it's hard to know how long he has to go thru his reads.

That, plus I'm pretty sure that's what he's being coached to do.

Right now, the coaches want him to get the ball out fast. And sadly, given the makeup of our line it kind of makes sense. The more complex stuff can come as he gets more comfortable.

Remember, they're treating him as if he were a rookie. This is how you'd coach a rookie.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That, plus I'm pretty sure that's what he's being coached to do.

Right now, the coaches want him to get the ball out fast. And sadly, given the makeup of our line it kind of makes sense. The more complex stuff can come as he gets more comfortable.

Remember, they're treating him as if he were a rookie. This is how you'd coach a rookie.

They may be treating him that way but they are going to have to deal with flare ups of his past 3 years. 

It's hard not to revert back to old habits when you are getting beat to hell. It will take time to undo 3 years of bad coaching, if ever.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1