• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer has "called around" about offensive linemen

Zod

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Like I said teams aren’t giving up oline talent because there isn’t much to go around. We’re gonna have to be active in FA and the draft to upgrade. But it’s gonna have to be next year. I hope we get some talent via FA because besides the 1st round you can’t expect a starter rounds 4 and down.

Exactly. Drives me nuts when people say we don’t care about the oline.

We do, it’s just the hardest position to find talent. Teams don’t just give those guys up.

• Pie 7

Feels like we're in an intersting place in the football.... most people dont have great linemen .... but they dont want to get rid of the one's they have. This tells me that over the past few years that the  o-line position has not really evolved much. Alot of the way the game is played has changed and the normal body and play types are not what they used to be. I dont know if its poor coaching, development, or what... but greatness on the line is just not out there.

Just now, Tbe said:

We do, it’s just the hardest position to find talent. Teams don’t just give those guys up.

You are not the only person that's tried to impart that bit of information on the group. And I too am going nuts that it's not understood. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

As difficult as it is, we have to accept that we’re stuck with the current o-line and their inabilities until next season.

I have every confidence that come free agency and the draft, our front office sorts the line, whilst holding onto top tier talent in the last year of their deals (D Jax, Gilmore etc).

Make no mistake, this franchise is going places - just not this season whilst Daley, Miller, Paradis and Erving are at the helm. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

It would be foolish in the extreme for fans to believe that what we can see isn't just as glaringly obvious to our front office.  So yes, of course we've called around. 

But other teams are also not blind, and have scouting departments.  They know how badly we need some help there, so it will come at a premium.  It's obvious, isn't it?  The worse you need it, the more you're willing to pay to get it, right?

I applaud the front office for not overpaying to get a guy.  That's the kind of restraint that builds a consistent contender as opposed to a "window" team.  I want to see the Panthers as part of the playoff conversation EVERY YEAR.  This front office looks like it may actually get us there.

Maybe they should have hedged their bets and took some early round Oline talent during the draft instead of trading back so much.Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

Feels like we're in an intersting place in the football.... most people dont have great linemen .... but they dont want to get rid of the one's they have. This tells me that over the past few years that the  o-line position has not really evolved much. Alot of the way the game is played has changed and the normal body and play types are not what they used to be. I dont know if its poor coaching, development, or what... but greatness on the line is just not out there.

Olinemen don't get the stats and media hype that Dlinemen do. They also don't generally get paid as much. So, the most promising youngsters play defense instead. By making the Oline more important on their network/media, and paying those guys more, the NFL could reverse that perception.

8 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Well obviously we know they care and they want Darnold to stay healthy but fans also know we have struggled in this area for a decade having seen mistakes firsthand. So at this moment when they are saying "oh poo" of course we are going to say what else did you expect? The we couldn't fix it all at once right now response is valid but then also you have to consider the sheer resources we have put into our defense even as recently as this week while plugging in a couple of depth linemen in free agency who have bounced from team to team lately. We put ourselves in this position like it or not.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I love it. Let the poorly performing players know it’s get better or career over time. 

That’s one of the things I’m loving about Rhule/Fitts. If a player isn’t helping us win and there is a better option out there, we move on fast.

• Beer 1