• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deep dive on the Gilmore deal from The Athletic's Jeff Howe

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

How bad were the other teams’ offers? We only offered a 2023 6th.

Was wondering that myself.

It's also possible Gilmore may have wanted to be here over other places. I remember seeing a comment on that somewhere but I forget where.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

hope he recovers completely and wants to stay.  Sounds like his wife will push him to give a little home town discount too.

Honestly, one of the more interesting parts of this article to me was the stuff regarding his future.

Referenced it above, but here's the full excerpt:

Second, the Panthers’ intention is to sign Gilmore to a contract extension, but there’s no rush to do so. They know it won’t be cheap, so they want to make sure Gilmore looks like himself upon his return. His debut against the Giants would be 10 months removed from his last game. The Panthers also have a few extensions to handle in the meantime.

But Gilmore will report to the Panthers and won’t demand a new contract before suiting up. Before signing an extension, he also wants to make sure the defensive fit is as strong as it appears on paper, and that takes time, too. It’s conceivable the extension discussions don’t occur until after the season, even though the Panthers hope to keep him for the long term.

The last line of that first paragraph is noteworthy too.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4

16 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

It may well have been that the Pats didn't want him in the AFC, so they traded him to a NFC team. That, and we kind of have a relationship within Orgs.

It’s also been said they wanted to send him to favorable place and Gilmore probably expressed he would like to go home

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Bartin said:

It’s also been said they wanted to send him to favorable place and Gilmore probably expressed he would like to go home

I do recall someone yesterday (forget who) saying he wanted to go to the Packers, in part because they were a contender.

Don't know how much truth there was to that, but obviously it didn't pan out that way.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I do recall someone yesterday (forget who) saying he wanted to go to the Packers, in part because they were a contender.

Don't know how much truth there was to that, but obviously it didn't pan out that way.

I believe the Packers cap situation required him to actually be released then sign him with cap voodoo

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Apparently Devante Adams tweeted yesterday "call me" while tagging Gilmore in a post as an attempt to kind of recruit him. Knowing where the Packers sit Cap wise im sure he knew they couldn't trade for him, but likely hoping that he would hold out and not end up being traded. He later tweeted "He never called". Which maybe shows that he wasn't interested. Or maybe he knew he wouldn't get what he wanted in an extension with them. Plus they're two franchise guys (Rodgers, Adams) might not even be there next year.

And since it was said the the Patriots wanted to send him to a favorable place. Favorable on both sides most likely. This leads me to believe Carolina was the only team on the list that he wanted to go to that could afford to trade with him. But it could also mean there wasn't many teams on his list. 

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

Apparently Devante Adams tweeted yesterday "call me" while tagging Gilmore in a post as an attempt to kind of recruit him. Knowing where the Packers sit Cap wise im sure he knew they couldn't trade for him, but likely hoping that he would hold out and not end up being traded. He later tweeted "He never called". Which maybe shows that he wasn't interested. Or maybe he knew he wouldn't get what he wanted in an extension with them. Plus they're two franchise guys (Rodgers, Adams) might not even be there next year.

And since it was said the the Patriots wanted to send him to a favorable place. Favorable on both sides most likely. This leads me to believe Carolina was the only team on the list that he wanted to go to that could afford to trade with him. But it could also mean there wasn't many teams on his list. 

Reasonable.

• Pie 1

Could be that if it was another team he was traded too he would continue to demand a new or upgraded contract.  Since the Panthers are his hometown, have a great defense, have cap space he said that he was willing to play out the last year here.

I think that "agreement" to play out his last year under contract with Carolina with the deal breaker.  Most other teams would not have offered much if he continued his demand for a new or upgraded contract.  With the Panthers it's a good fit to highlight his skills, get a big contract and be home and make the wife happy.  Win, win, win, win.