• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jon Gruden used racist comment in referring to NFLPA head DeMaurice Smith in 2011 email

jayboogieman

Source

Las Vegas Raiders coach Jon Gruden used a racist comment in referring to NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith in an email 10 years ago, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team in July 2011 as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Anyone still want Gruden as a coach?

Even if he did use that phrase in the e-mail, and for the racist purpose alleged, it has been an entire decade since it happened. There has to be some possibility of repentance and growth in a human being.

None of us need to be living with the possibility of total, irrevocable retaliation for something we said a decade ago, or even longer in some cases. 

Perhaps a simple apology from the man and we all move on?

17 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Even if he did use that phrase in the e-mail, and for the racist purpose alleged, it has been an entire decade since it happened. There has to be some possibility of repentance and growth in a human being.

None of us need to be living with the possibility of total, irrevocable retaliation for something we said a decade ago, or even longer in some cases. 

Perhaps a simple apology from the man and we all move on?

He said he doesn’t remember it but he’s never had a racist bone in his body. 

32 minutes ago, Varking said:

He said he doesn’t remember it but he’s never had a racist bone in his body. 

But there it is in an e-mail. Still, we've got to enact some idea of a statute of limitations on what we've said or written. Hopefully we grow a little every day and become better human beings over time. Surely we're all a bit wiser than we were 10 years ago.

Our society, though, doesn't want someone to culp to it and be forgiven, it wants blood, or at least some kind of advantage. We've grown petty and self righteous. We hunt for little transgressions like this and stay fearfully away from actually fixing the problems.

17 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

But there it is in an e-mail. Still, we've got to enact some idea of a statute of limitations on what we've said or written. Hopefully we grow a little every day and become better human beings over time. Surely we're all a bit wiser than we were 10 years ago.

Our society, though, doesn't want someone to culp to it and be forgiven, it wants blood, or at least some kind of advantage. We've grown petty and self righteous. We hunt for little transgressions like this and stay fearfully away from actually fixing the problems.

I agree. I don’t think who we were ten years ago is who we are now. 

• Pie 2

On 10/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Khyber53 said:

The problem is that he was dumb enough to send this content to another professional in the NFL. It wasn't like it was a personal email to a friend or a text. He felt privileged enough to say this stupid poo to some good old boys in an NFL FO's. I'm willing to bet he's not the only one guilty of such things. If the NFL is to be highest standard then his ass definitely deserves to be canned.

5 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

The problem is that he was dumb enough to send this content to another professional in the NFL. It wasn't like it was a personal email to a friend or a text. He felt privileged enough to say this stupid poo to some good old boys in an NFL FO's. I'm willing to bet he's not the only one guilty of such things. If the NFL is to be highest standard then his ass definitely deserves to be canned.

Yanno, when I thought it was just the one comment in one e-mail, I thought the guy deserved some chance at redemption. Now more of it is coming out, troves of stuff, and I think that I was judging the iceberg by just the tip of it. There's a lot of problems there, this wasn't a one off "wish I had just reread it before I sent it" situation.

So, yeah, he deserved to be canned. He fell on his sword instead. In the end, I hope he does fix these problems in himself or at the very least someone else can learn from his massive, repeated mistakes.

• Pie 3

More info on the emails and how they were discovered:

......a man [Gruden]who, we now know, had for years been sending racist, misogynist and homophobic emails to an executive for the Washington Football Team

This is what happens when a bitter, angry man gets careless enough to send bitter, angry, racist and bigoted emails to somebody’s NFL-created account. This is what happens when an investigation about something wholly separate (workplace misconduct at the Washington Football Team) uncovers all those emails. 

Gruden did this to himself. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he had to know once he sent them that those emails could become public someday. But he kept sending them. 

https://theathletic.com/2883537/2021/10/12/kawakami-jon-gruden-was-a-small-minded-man-given-the-run-of-the-raiders-with-an-ugly-and-deserved-ending/

T

he emails — which were sent over a seven-year period to then-Washington team president Bruce Allen — were uncovered during the NFL's investigation into workplace misconduct surrounding Washington's organization, according to the Times. Gruden worked with Allen in Oakland in his first stint with the Raiders and later with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

he Athletic obtained an email in which Gruden referenced Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted into the NFL, by the Rams in 2014, and said Goodell should not have pressured then-Rams head coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers."

In other emails, according to the Times, Gruden referred to Goodell on several occasions using homophobic slurs and expletives, and also called him a "clueless anti football pussy"; denounced the emergence of women as referees; exchanged photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including a photo of two Washington team cheerleaders; and said Eric Reid, the former 49ers and Panthers safety who knelt during the national anthem, should be fired.

On Friday, the Wall Street Journal first reported Gruden had used a racist trope common in anti-Black imagery in an email when referring to NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith during the 2011 lockout

https://theathletic.com/news/jon-gruden-resigns-after-racist-homophobic-sexist-emails-emerge/WRiUVJfLgf3C

• Pie 3

36 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Yeah, it got worse that what I originally saw. Thank goodness he never coached here like some wanted.

• Pie 1