• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Robby Anderson

Tr3ach

1 minute ago, SpeedOFLight said:

I agree. It’s embarrassing how people are blaming Robbie but not pointing out the obvious with Sam. He is no good . This is his 4th season in the NFL. He is what he has always been. 

He is getting pressured on 43% of his dropbacks.   We have no idea what any qb is behind that oline.

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It's not Robby.  It's time to look at Sam.  It's low hanging fruit to go after Robby because of the whole "just got paid" trope, but the ball distribution from Sam has been a major issue all season, it just didn't matter until we started losing.  He can't find or just doesn't trust throwing to Robby unless he beats his defender on a streak, and then he usually overthrows him.  It's the same way he used him in NY, which is why Robby is frustrated.  Also, go back and look, especially over the last two weeks how many times Robby was open and Sam missed him.  Both Sam and Rhule just said in the presser that the last throw on 3rd down before the blocked punt was completely on Sam.  Robby beat his man and Sam missed the throw.  Then he throws a pick on that comeback route on the sideline to Robby, when in all honesty, it was late and should have never been thrown. 

I'd be pissed too...  I just re-signed with a team and am being used as a decoy 90% of the game, and when I do get looks, most of the throws are absolutely horrible.  And it's not just Robby...  remember how incredible TMJ looked in camp and preseason?  Now he can't be found.  

I couldn’t have said it better . I agree 

Of the two Qb's on the field today Sam played the worst. And Jalen Hurts played against a much better Panthers defense than Donald faced with the Eagles.

Jalen's turnovers one was a bad snap by the Center and the lone interception was a good read by him, but a even a better play by Donte Jackson.  Sam picks where him forcing balls that shouldn't have been thrown. 

We wasted a great defensive effort today by inept coaching and bad quarterbacking inexcusable. 

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It's not Robby.  It's time to look at Sam.  It's low hanging fruit to go after Robby because of the whole "just got paid" trope, but the ball distribution from Sam has been a major issue all season, it just didn't matter until we started losing.  He can't find or just doesn't trust throwing to Robby unless he beats his defender on a streak, and then he usually overthrows him.  It's the same way he used him in NY, which is why Robby is frustrated.  Also, go back and look, especially over the last two weeks how many times Robby was open and Sam missed him.  Both Sam and Rhule just said in the presser that the last throw on 3rd down before the blocked punt was completely on Sam.  Robby beat his man and Sam missed the throw.  Then he throws a pick on that comeback route on the sideline to Robby, when in all honesty, it was late and should have never been thrown. 

I'd be pissed too...  I just re-signed with a team and am being used as a decoy 90% of the game, and when I do get looks, most of the throws are absolutely horrible.  And it's not just Robby...  remember how incredible TMJ looked in camp and preseason?  Now he can't be found.  

I think Robbie is best in the slot....why we continue to play him outside I'll never understand. I do agree that Darnold doesn't trust Robbie, and it's probably from the time that they were together in NY. Before last season, Anderson's catch rate was around 54%. Last year, his catch rate was the best he ever had at 70%, and he has definitely regressed this year, only catching 45%. He needs to go back to the slot where he excels at and he was productive. 

1 minute ago, roaddog96 said:

I think Robbie is best in the slot....why we continue to play him outside I'll never understand. I do agree that Darnold doesn't trust Robbie, and it's probably from the time that they were together in NY. Before last season, Anderson's catch rate was around 54%. Last year, his catch rate was the best he ever had at 70%, and he has definitely regressed this year, only catching 45%. He needs to go back to the slot where he excels at and he was productive. 

Because he had sure gloves Teddy and was always running short routes last year. 

• Pie 1

Panthers ball, first-and-20 from their 35, 2:03 left

With left tackle Cam Erving out with a neck injury, the Panthers reconfigured their line, sliding Moton to the left side and giving rookie Brady Christensen his first start at right tackle. Christensen gave up one of the Eagles’ three sacks on Darnold, but a lot of the Panthers’ offensive line issues were on the interior.

Right guard John Miller allowed a sack, and his holding penalty near the two minute-mark put the Panthers in a tough down-and-distance. Darnold had gone to Anderson on two consecutive plays — hitting him over the middle for 25 to convert a third-and-15 before an incompletion on Miller’s first-down holding flag.

Darnold looked to Anderson a third time. It was not a charm, as cornerback Steven Nelson broke in front of Anderson’s comeback route to intercept Darnold in front of the Eagles’ sideline. Nelson indicated he knew what was coming.

“I felt like they were trying to get the ball to a speed guy. I think the play previously before that they went to the same guy,” he said. “That guy has been lining up in that formation all day. I just kind of read the play before it even happened and made the play.”

Rhule also seemed to suggest the Panthers went to the well once too often.

“We’re throwing comebacks to the sideline. When you’re in two-minute, you’re throwing enough of those. Last week (at Dallas), the guy broke on it and almost picked it off,” he said.

“I’ll have to watch the tape, to be honest with you. But we have to attack maybe the middle of the field a little bit more,” Rhule added. “We did a nice job of hitting Robby on the in-cut, so we have to do a better job of it.”

After Darnold’s fifth pick in two games, an animated Anderson lost his composure on the sideline, where he appeared to be yelling at receivers coach Frisman Jackson. Said Darnold: “I’m gonna keep that between Robby and everyone that was involved.”

https://theathletic.com/2880969/2021/10/10/blocked-punt-bad-throws-and-a-sideline-tantrum-anatomy-of-the-panthers-meltdown/

Edited by glenwo2

More on Robbie :

The narrative during the offseason — when Anderson skipped the Panthers’ voluntary OTAs before showing up for the mandatory minicamp — was Anderson’s speed and downfield abilities would be accentuated with the arrival of Darnold, Anderson’s teammate for two seasons with the Jets.

Instead, Darnold is looking to Moore much more frequently and has usually failed to connect on those plays when he’s thrown Anderson’s way. Moore’s 35 catches — which rank fourth in the league — have come on 50 targets, for a 70.0 catch percentage. Anderson has a catch percentage of 41.4, with 12 receptions on 29 targets.

The Panthers have tried to get Anderson more involved with 18 targets the past two weeks. He had a season-high five catches at Dallas. But Anderson had just two receptions for 30 yards against the Eagles, leaving Rhule at a loss to explain why Anderson and Darnold haven’t clicked.

“I don’t know. It just hasn’t,” Rhule said. “We’ve worked on it. We had routes to go to Robby. I think Sam was out of whack early, passing on the first read, pressure up front. I don’t think it was a very good day. Why? I’m working hard to figure out the whys to create those opportunities.”

With the Panthers leading 18-13 with four minutes left Sunday, Darnold threw low and wide to an open Anderson on third-and-3. Anderson dived and the ball hit him in the hands, but he couldn’t pull it in. On the next play, the Eagles blocked a Joseph Charlton punt in Panthers’ territory and quickly converted with the game-winning score on Jalen Hurts’ 6-yard touchdown run.

After the game, Rhule called the third-down throw a “bad ball” by Darnold. Rhule had changed his view a bit Monday after watching the tape.

“He’s open. We’ve gotta put the ball on him, catch it and get the first down,” he said. “At the same time, the ball’s there, if we lay out and catch the ball.”

Former Panthers tight end Greg Olsen said essentially the same thing on the Fox broadcast. “In a perfect world, you want to put (it) on him,” Olsen told viewers. “But in pro ball, sometimes — you’ve gotta catch that ball.”

The Panthers still had a shot on their final series. But Darnold’s third-down pass to Anderson was intercepted, prompting Anderson’s sideline tirade, which was caught by the Fox cameras.

“Players put a lot into it. There’s gonna be emotions at times. We’re a tough staff. We coach hard. Players are tough,” Rhule said. “I have no issue with a guy (getting upset), as long as it stays within a certain realm. But if it becomes personal — either a coach to a player or a player to coach — that’s not who we are.”

“Robby’s a good player. He needs to be more involved. At the same time, when he has his opportunities — whether it’s the two third downs we threw to him — we also need to go make those plays, too,” said Rhule, who coached Anderson at Temple.

“Robby knows I love him. I’ve known him a long time. He’s gotta go make those plays and we’ve gotta do a better job of getting him involved. This is one of those pretty disappointing days globally. This isn’t one of those, ‘Hey, it was just one thing.’”

Rhule didn’t disagree with Anderson’s contention that offensive coordinator Joe Brady needed to look deep more often with double moves and the like. But those types of plays take time, which has been in short supply for Darnold behind a porous offensive line.

In two games without All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey, Darnold has been sacked eight times and hit a total of 19 times. For the season, the Panthers have given up 14 sacks and 35 hits on Darnold, both of which are tied for the fourth most in the NFL.

“I think Joe will be the first to say, ‘Hey, I’m gonna stretch the field a little bit more and try to take some more shots.’ It’s hard to take shots when you don’t trust the timing of the protections,” Rhule said. “And at the same time … sometimes we’re just gonna have to beat guys.”

Rhule said most opponents have been playing a Bear scheme against the Panthers, featuring four or five pass rushers with Cover 1 behind it — a man coverage look with a deep safety to help on vertical routes.

Too often the Panthers aren’t winning those man-to-man matchups. According to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats, Anderson is tied for 115th among 128 qualified receivers with an average separation of 2.2 yards. Moore, who generally runs more underneath routes than Anderson, is tied for 89th with an average of 2.7 yards.

Rookie slot receiver Terrace Marshall Jr. has the Panthers’ best separation average at 3.5 yards, presumably because the second-round pick from LSU is drawing the opponent’s worst cover corner. With 13 catches, Marshall is the Panthers’ third-leading receiver — behind McCaffrey (16 catches) and just ahead of Anderson, whose new contract made him among the top 20 highest-paid receivers with an average annual value of $14.75 million.

A play early in the second quarter against the Eagles symbolized the Panthers’ protection woes and their inability to get Anderson the ball. On second-and-10 from the 50, Brady called a shot play and Anderson had a step on Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox on a deep post.

But when defensive end Josh Sweat beat rookie right tackle Brady Christensen, Darnold had to step up in the pocket and throw without getting his feet set. His pass drifted just enough to allow Maddox to break it up at the goal line.

“Sam Darnold, this ball needs to be completed on the hash. That’s the landmark. You saw Robby Anderson try to go Willie Mays because the ball brought him back,” Olsen said on the broadcast. “A better ball might be a touchdown, but nonetheless a really good play there by Maddox.”

The Panthers watched the Eagles’ tape Monday. They’ll reconvene Wednesday when they hope to have McCaffrey back from his hamstring injury. As Rhule and Brady try to come up with ways to get Anderson untracked, they also have to make sure Anderson’s frustrations don’t boil over and become a distraction.

Rhule said he hasn’t had any issues with Anderson’s effort level — “not at all.”

Anderson was not among the players requested for interviews after Sunday’s game and was not made available to reporters Monday.

Panthers center Matt Paradis said he didn’t hear about Anderson’s sideline tantrum until Monday. But Paradis, one of eight team captains, isn’t concerned about Anderson’s attitude.

“I don’t even know what was said. I don’t really know about the situation on the sideline,” Paradis said. “But I know Robby, and I know that dude wants to win. And I trust him.”

https://theathletic.com/2882997/2021/10/11/whats-the-matter-with-robby-anderson-season-not-going-as-expected-for-panthers-wideout/

Edited by glenwo2

In the Aaron Rodgers voice …. R-E-L-A-X ……. I know everyone wants to win, but we are still rebuilding. Yes, Darnold still has bad throws, Robbie ran a lazy route on the int, the O-line is trash, coaching could be better. But we are improving and moving up in the league.

as the season started, we all knew we needed o-line help, more LBs and guess what we need now? Same thing. Our DBs will be the strength of this teams, D-line could use 1 more stud, WRs are set for a while, better line and play calling will help Darnold, Hubbard will be a great backup to CMC.

We should be trying to score 40 no matter what the other team does. Right now we are playing John Fox ball, get a lead and just try to protect it, dont try to add more to it in second half.

yes I am pissed, that was our game to lose, guess what we lost it …they didn’t win it