• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this the best panthers secondary ever?

micnificent28

6 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Are you sure?

We're currently the #2 ranked defense and are #2 vs the pass. 

I don't recall us ever holding out opponents to under 200 yard passing a game like we doing statistically this season. 

Well, pick your measure?

By Football Outsiders DVOA, our best pass defense ranking ever was.....1995 and 2015. We were ranked #2 in the NFL. But do you want to measure it by opponent completion percentage? Opponent passing yards per game? Interceptions? Opponent QB Rating?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

I was going for a by talent measurement not the actual weekly rankings which could change for various reasons, injuries pass rush and so on. But on paper the depth at corner is night and day as to what it use to be or even at the start of the season. A weakness turning to a strength.

Measuring by talent will always be subjective. Measuring by results will never be subjective.

11 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Are you sure?

We're currently the #2 ranked defense and are #2 vs the pass. 

I don't recall us ever holding out opponents to under 200 yard passing a game like we doing statistically this season. 

I legit forgot to mention that we have held our opponents under 200 Passing Yds/GM 6 other times.

This year we are averaging 188.9 yds/GM passing. The other times are as follows:

2009 - 191.0

2006 - 187.5

2005 - 191.1

2003 - 187.7

2002 - 187.1

1997 - 187.9

Really this information shouldn't be a surprise as almost all of our head coaches in franchise history have been defensive minded head coaches. 

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Measuring by talent will always be subjective. Measuring by results will never be subjective.

Well kind of, but saying some unit on the team is the best or not the best because it's ranking with any one or set of numbers / indices is a bit subjective... I think because this is a team sport, the missing context matters a lot in going from best ranking in a given year to best all time for a given team.  Objective to say 2015 had a better DVOA? 100%, yes.

I get this may seem nitpicky but it's something I see done at times so just wanted to comment. DVOA is certainly better than just like passing yards and things given rule changes, lol.  I just don't think this is actually a decision that can be made purely off defensive stats.

15 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

saying I don't think we have ever had these options at corner... At best we had who Chris gamble? And lower teir guys. . Gilmore has won defensive player of the year. Jackson is a legit corner he gonna get paid this off-season.Bouye has been to a pro bowl. He's had teaming calling for a trade last week since we was losing.

Horn looked like a cornerback 1 when he was healthy.. I mean Henderson hasn't been healthy so I m gonna leave a * by his name. Even the you guy the rookie Taylor has made a few plays... not to mention Chinn... what say you.. .

Bradberry was a great corner

Eric Davis was a great corner

Mike Minter was a great Safety

Chad Cota wasn't too shabby 

I can't remember much about Brett Maxie though. 

Tyrone Poole wasn't awful. 

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I legit forgot to mention that we have held our opponents under 200 Passing Yds/GM 6 other times.

This year we are averaging 188.9 yds/GM passing. The other times are as follows:

2009 - 191.0

2006 - 187.5

2005 - 191.1

2003 - 187.7

2002 - 187.1

1997 - 187.9

Really this information shouldn't be a surprise as almost all of our head coaches in franchise history have been defensive minded head coaches. 

Looks like the last time was 2009 the league has definitely become more pass oriented since that time. So I think it's even more impressive what they have been able to do. 

No doubt this is the deepest talent pool we've ever had in the secondary. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Pantherxtreme said:

Yes I would put that group either 2 or 3 in my historic ranking. 

The fact that they gave up zero points at home in the 4th all year and went undefeated at home makes them number 1.

Also the fact they not only pressured QBs but hit them. Then on top of that the sacks.

They were violent and they physically destroyed people. 

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The fact that they gave up zero points at home in the 4th all year and went undefeated at home makes them number 1.

Also the fact they not only pressured QBs but hit them. Then on top of that the sacks.

They were violent and they physically destroyed people. 

Agreed. OG's remember how great that D was.