• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers….. not an attractive destination for top shelf talent?

TheBigKat

6 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

image.jpeg.f7efefd88c458ec2462ab799948894f4.jpeg

And it will cure all the bitching, moaning and complaining that people unironically bitch, moan and complain about.

Give us two straight fuging winning seasons, and watch how much nicer this place will be. Watch how much easier free agency will be. 

How is anyone excited about tanking for *insert player*? That poo is not fun.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why would we be right now?

i honestly don’t believe we have ever been…looking back, Hurney’s fat contracts were a big plus for a lot of guys

not a lot of guys who have options want to play for a pathetic franchise for a fair deal/market value

It's a problem that all Carolina franchises struggle with , The Hornets could have had Kobe , but he outright refused to come here. The Hurricanes also have a hard time convincing big names to come to Raleigh ,they usually have to build from the draft and mid tier free agents ,they will never get Crosby or Ovechkin level talent unless they draft them 

But to counter this Olsen was a pretty big name in Chicago,and he agreed to come here

6 hours ago, CmC2k said:

As a smaller market team we should only be...

This line of reasoning (excuse making) perplexes me...

...the Panthers operate in a very large market and players do not care about "market size"...

...now glitz & glamour do factor in with some players but those "destination" type markets only number a couple in the NFL (really only LA and possibly Miami).

image.thumb.png.5a165af915f1b1dfc76ea2fdddc0f93e.png

The data in that reddit post is almost a decade old but if anything I'd expect the Panthers relative market to have gained share as people come to the Carolinas in droves and rust-belt/cold-weather/high-tax markets are net-losers on the population front. 

As I think @kungfoodude may have said, winning is what brings them in...

...Boston/Foxborough certainly isn't a "destination" market.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Beer 1

The problem is, there is almost nothing to do in Charlotte. I did enjoy living there, but if you're not a local there's not much extracurricular activities. Let's see, they got Uptown, the WWC, Carowinds.... They do got a ton of breweries... The culinary scene isn't really great... there's Asheville... oh, 4 hours from the coast and the most notable (infamous) is Myrtle.... lol

I guess if an athlete is in to Nascar, they got the headquarters/museum and stuff. 

23 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

This line of reasoning (excuse making) perplexes me...

...the Panthers operate in a very large market and players do not care about "market size"...

the data in that reddit post is almost a decade old but if anything I'd expect the Panthers relative market to have gained share as people come to the Carolinas in droves and rust-belt/cold-weather/high-tax markets are net-losers on the population front. 

Agreed.
We've covered the "market size" conversation in an number of previous threads. Here's one example:

11 minutes ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

The problem is, there is almost nothing to do in Charlotte. I did enjoy living there, but if you're not a local there's not much extracurricular activities. Let's see, they got Uptown, the WWC, Carowinds.... They do got a ton of breweries... The culinary scene isn't really great... there's Asheville... oh, 4 hours from the coast and the most notable (infamous) is Myrtle.... lol

I guess if an athlete is in to Nascar, they got the headquarters/museum and stuff. 

I said years ago that Charlotte is a terrific place to live, but not a terrific place to vacation.  Things might have changed since that observation, but I don't think so.

• Beer 1