• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers….. not an attractive destination for top shelf talent?

TheBigKat

When you read clippings like this

or clippings that Stafford didn’t want to come here

there’s a growing concern has this franchise been marked off agents who represent too talent?

was it due to the way Cam Newton was treated?

due to how this team moved on from Bridgewater in 1 season?

lack of OL talent?

small market/limited marketing opportunities?

If you look at the majority of this franchise FA signings, it’s usually been mid tier guys on a 1-3 year deal, I cannot recall in the history of this franchise a top FA in their prime coming to Carolina.

This leads me to another conclusion, between Stafford/Watson unless this team drafts a Mac Jones / Herbert / Burrow, I don’t think a franchise QB is walking/being traded to the doors on Mint St

Our biggest FA signing, brother of our C who was a clear bust while Whitworth was out there 

BD4C2FF4-8015-45F4-89C5-3167392A8148.jpeg

Edited by TheBigKat
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 23

When talking about being an attractive FA destination it comes down to your QB.  Do you have a guy?  If you clearly have that guy, you're an attractive destination.

For QB's, in the rare instance that a franchise guy hits FA, the question is how does your offense look.  Do you have a decent line, good receivers?  I can understand why a QB might not "want" to come right now looking at our line.

• Pie 3

I think everyone is overlooking how much non football factors play into this, things like size of media market, hobnobbing with big names and celebrities at parties, proximity to coast or highly desirable vacation areas. Not just the players themselves, but those around them, wives, agents, gf's family, in their ear about this or that.

If we as fans are perfectly aware of the small market/large market media bias, how do we not think players are just as aware? Don't underestimate a guy's desire to see his highlights talked about on national TV, and knowing that's more likely to happen if he plays certain places than others.

Having said that, football wise I don't know that we're super attractive as a destination to anyone except maybe pass rushers and linebackers, position groups where a player could join a high performing unit that is likely to help his stats go up before his next contract, or a position group that is a bit thin and there is opportunity.

Would you want to come here as a QB? CB? OL? (yeah I'd love to join a unit where unit cohesion is key to us all not looking like fools, and the existing unit mostly looks like fools.) Maybe you'd like to try to supplant CMC at RB, or beat out our existing WR corps for playing time to catch passes from the legend that is whoever we've got under center this week. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Wasn't Reddick a FA?

Kevin Greene was.

I believe Eric Davis was.

What level FA was Michael Barrow?

Keyshawn sucked but he was a big name.

Who am I forgetting that had a name and came?

Reddick signed a 1 yr prove it deal, not a top flight FA at the time

Greene and Davis were well past their prime 

Keyshawn was basically the same as McCoy, players past their prime

• Poo 3

26 minutes ago, BrianS said:

When talking about being an attractive FA destination it comes down to your QB.  Do you have a guy?  If you clearly have that guy, you're an attractive destination.

For QB's, in the rare instance that a franchise guy hits FA, the question is how does your offense look.  Do you have a decent line, good receivers?  I can understand why a QB might not "want" to come right now looking at our line.

We had THE GUY at the time in Newton, that didn’t really bring anyone

• Poo 1

As a smaller market team we should only be going after low to mid tier players that can fill a role on our roster and set us up to go BPA in the draft. Big name players either want a ton of money or a place where they think they have chance to make a deep playoff run.  Which is something we can't offer at the moment. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2