• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fiterer - mid season grade

mrcompletely11

5 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

A+ when you consider what the Raiders did in 2020

2020 draft:

1st round: Henry Ruggs released 1st: Damon Arnette released

3rd: Lynn Bowden traded before playing a snap

3rd: Bryan Edwards: 29 catches in 20 games 3rd: Tanner Muse released w/ 0 snaps

4th: John Simpson: PFF 53rd ranked G 4th: Amik Robertson: 169 def snaps

Oof

12 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Im actually 100% ok with not having a vet back up. We were always going to ride or die with Sam. Sam was either going to win his way out of getting replaced or lose his way to it. I dont think signing an 'elite back up' is a good part of the rebuilding process. 

Win with Sam or lose with Sam. We lost. Now put him on ice for the year. Build an oline next year and the year after bring in a QB. Rebuild complete. Just like the plan has always been. 

The problem though is the acquisition of Sam and the failure to address OL in the past draft have no prolonged the process by at least two years. We literally took one step forward then a couple steps back and it was all relatively avoidable.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I - Incomplete

There are way too many unknowns to evaluate him at this point.

Robby went from a 1,000 yard receiver to a non-factor. Is that because he sucks and locking him up was a bad deal? Or is Sam the problem? We don't know.

Sam, is he as bad as he looks because he's bad or is he bad because he's being David Carr'd behind this garbage line? We don't know. (Before you say it, no, we really don't)

The O-Line, Does the line suck? Oh yeah, it sucks. It could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Jaycee, could we have drafted a O-Lineman instead of Jaycee? Yeah. But one rookie does not an offensive line make.

It all comes back to the line, and fixing the line wasn't a 1-year job.

The defense is a revelation. And I'd like to see what the man responsible for it can do with an off-season dedicated to fixing the offense.

I agree about Fitt being an incomplete.

Robby is probably a bit of both.

Sam, again, a bit of both. He was probably Carr'd in NY though.

No disagreement about the Oline.

Jaycee? Corner was a need, so I don't have a problem with the pick by itself. And yeah, one rookie doesn't make the line, but Slater would have helped an awful lot. LT has been a huge need for a long time and impacts more plays than a corner can. I said at draft time and still believe you go tackle over corner.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Boy that has some cringey comments in hindsight.

Especially the one where Snow said that Sam was like Matt Stafford.

It just makes me wonder why the defensive coordinator is making the suggestions for the next quarterback and why is Matt Rhule listening to him. I would imagine that it would be the offensive coordinator that would make the suggestion to the head coach. 

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

The problem though is the acquisition of Sam and the failure to address OL in the past draft have no prolonged the process by at least two years. We literally took one step forward then a couple steps back and it was all relatively avoidable.

I wouldn't see it like that. I agree, obviously, that the OL FA signings didnt work out but its not like we signed top dollar contracts that handicap us. 

We are took a flyer on Sam and that again has not panned out. We have to gamble on QB's. Even drafting a QB in round 1 is a gamble.

I dont think what we did this offseason impacts a 4 year rebuild in anyway. 

1 minute ago, Monrowed said:

It just makes me wonder why the defensive coordinator is making the suggestions for the next quarterback and why is Matt Rhule listening to him. I would imagine that it would be the offensive coordinator that would make the suggestion to the head coach. 

I think thats taking it out of context. 

I think you always want a D Coordinator's input on offensive players. You want to know how they are difficult to stop, or what skills they bring that make them an asset. 

Snow is not providing input on how Sam can run the complexities of Brady's offense. 

Everyone just needs to R-E-L-A-X... logic is starting to go out the window.

5 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

Here is the original story.

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-on-why-panthers-didn-t-pick-qb-in-draft-i-just-believe-in-sam-darnold

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I wouldn't see it like that. I agree, obviously, that the OL FA signings didnt work out but its not like we signed top dollar contracts that handicap us. 

We are took a flyer on Sam and that again has not panned out. We have to gamble on QB's. Even drafting a QB in round 1 is a gamble.

I dont think what we did this offseason impacts a 4 year rebuild in anyway. 

I have noticed it’s hard and expensive to build OL and QB in free agency. So that really leaves the draft. We do not have a 2nd and 3rd next year. So it’s a long shot we fix either the OL or QB position next season. Then it will probably take another year or two(if we don’t recklessly trade draft capital)the following years to fix the OL or maybe find a QB.

Our 4 year rebuild has been added an extra year or two easily unless we can lucky somewhere down the road.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

Snow is Matt's mentor. Rhule may have head coach on his business card, but Snow has a huge influence on how this team is run.

“He’s guided me through this thing of being a head coach with his philosophy and his approach to things," Rhule said of Snow. “People always say you’ve had success as a head coach, and really it’s Phil Snow who has been with me the whole time.

Everything I do, everything I talk about has been directly impacted by him or has come from him."

source: https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34145/from-mentor-to-boss-panthers-matt-rhule-quick-to-credit-phil-snow

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

I have noticed it’s hard and expensive to build OL and QB in free agency. So that really leaves the draft. We do not have a 2nd and 3rd next year. So it’s a long shot we fix either the OL or QB position next season. Then it will probably take another year or two(if we don’t recklessly trade draft capital)the following years to fix the OL or maybe find a QB.

Our 4 year rebuild has been added an extra year or two easily unless we can lucky somewhere down the road.

It is expensive, but if you dont have an oline... you really dont have a season. 1 solid vet would already make a big difference. 

It may not be all his fault but it just feels like the same old poo over and over and over and over and over.

1. WAY overpay players who then get hurt and/or underperform.

2. Give said players an extremely long contract extension under the deal.

3. Don't draft any help for the offensive line.

4. Use FA to address the o-line with players who were never very good to begin with.

5. Pay these FAs way more than their market value.

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How so.  I just laid out his failures 

Just cause you made a list doesnt mean the list its fact. 

1. I dont think we were the only team interested in Darnold. And the price for a former 1st round QB is always high. 

2. Extending Darnold is logical IF you think he is the guy. The more its self is not bad, the evaluation / handling of him in season has been bad. 

3. Anderson has played poorly this year but his previous seasons justified that signing. Plus its a short extension, which is actually smart. 

4. Being cute in the draft.. now sure what that means. The draft grades on the 2 oline guys we drafted were pretty good. FA set us up to draft BPA - which is what we did. 

5. Signing Erving and Elfline. I mean I dont disagree that they have not played well but they did address this position in the offseason. 

6. Trading the MLB. Well he didnt want to be here anyway.. 

7. Trading for Henderson. I still like the trade. Tremble is not as good as Arnold but he is not the problem. Sam wouldn't be better with him here.