• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know we give this coaching staff a lot of flak, but, we can all agree..

Ivan The Awesome

10 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Sometimes they are. Example Cam Newton.

This is an interesting point.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fanbase clamor for a particular player so much and actually get that particular player.

This isn’t some NFL Draft situation where the fanbase universally agrees that they want such and such.

This was a situation where an NFL franchise got rid of a player and the fanbase became so upset with the direction of the team that they begged to bring back the outcasted player.

I can’t think of a situation where that has happened before.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

This is an interesting point.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fanbase clamor for a particular player so much and actually get that particular player.

This isn’t some NFL Draft situation where the fanbase universally agrees that they want such and such.

This was a situation where an NFL franchise got rid of a player and the fanbase became so upset with the direction of the team that they begged to bring back the outcasted player.

I can’t think of a situation where that has happened before.

LOL, you guys are killing me. Y'all remind me of that car commercial where the kid in the Darth Vader thinks he's controlling his dad's remote start car with the Force. 

We did it guys!

I'm sure fandom had something to do with it, but it's also that Cam can still play, and we didn't have anyone close to his talent level on our roster. 

22 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Sometimes they are. Example Cam Newton.

He knew he was about to have a half empty stadium, 25% of which would be opposing fans the rest of the year. Training camp crowd turnouts were pathetic, how many kids are begging their parents for a Darnold jersey? Cams new jerseys are already sold out. I think Tepper obviously cares, remember him dancing all over the fields, going to tailgates when he first arrived? He's been holed up in his suite for the last 5 weeks

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

LOL, you guys are killing me. Y'all remind me of that car commercial where the kid in the Darth Vader thinks he's controlling his dad's remote start car with the Force. 

We did it guys!

I'm sure fandom had something to do with it, but it's also that Cam can still play, and we didn't have anyone close to his talent level on our roster. 

I didn’t say that it was ALL due to the fans but I did ask for an example similar to this one (in any sport), can you provide an example?

We could have easily gone after RGIII or Blake Bortles but we came back to Cam.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

You’re giving Rivera too much credit. Cam carried Rivera while Rivera held onto his coat tail for dear life dragging him down into the dirt while almost ending Cams career in the process. 

Rivera may know Cam the person really well but he is a new QB on our team running a totally new offense. Rivera won’t know anything about that.

You also just describing turning Cam into a Taysom Hill type player. Uhhh no thank you.

15 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

People who aren’t giving him credit for the defense are foolish. Rhule and Snow have this defense playing at a level that Carolina fans have only seen a few times.

The issue I have again is the process… so we missed out on Stafford; that’s not anyone’s fault. Watson likes tuggies so it was a no go; once again not anyone’s fault. I am in the same boat and don’t like Fields so no argument from me there.

What wasn’t the right move is compounding the Bridgewater mistake by bringing on Darnold.

So we kinda agree on not drafting Justin Fields. If you were the Rhule, at that particular time, who would you have gone after at QB? Please don't say keep Bridgewater because I don't know if I could have handle check down passes on 4th down.

24 minutes ago, Darknight said:

So we kinda agree on not drafting Justin Fields. If you were the Rhule, at that particular time, who would you have gone after at QB? Please don't say keep Bridgewater because I don't know if I could have handle check down passes on 4th down.

Well for starters I don’t think we should have gotten rid of Cam… if we don’t get rid of him then we probably aren’t having this discussion.

Knowing that we did ultimately get rid of Cam, I personally wanted Trubisky on a one year deal. I guess kudos to the staff for trying to find a replacement but I’m not too thrilled about giving up draft capital for a player who won’t be a part of our future going forward.

I think Matt Nagy is a QB killer and would have liked to seen Trubisky in a different offense.

I’d take Trubisky on a 1yr./$2.5M deal over trading assets away for Sam Darnold (and then picking up his 5th year option).

Both are risks but one risk doesn’t have the same repercussions as the other risk.

I guess on the bright side Darnold helped us get Cam back. I’m not entirely sure Trubisky would have been bad enough for that to happen.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

18 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Well for starters I don’t think we should have gotten rid of Cam… if we don’t get rid of him then we probably aren’t having this discussion.

Knowing that we did ultimately get rid of Cam, I personally wanted Trubisky on a one year deal. I guess kudos to the staff for trying to find a replacement but I’m not too thrilled about giving up draft capital for a player who won’t be a part of our future going forward.

I think Matt Nagy is a QB killer and would have liked to seen Trubisky in a different offense.

I’d take Trubisky on a 1yr./$2.5M deal over trading assets away for Sam Darnold (and then picking up his 5th year option).

Both are risks but one risk doesn’t have the same repercussions as the other risk.

I guess on the bright side Darnold helped us get Cam back. I’m not entirely sure Trubisky would have been bad enough for that to happen.

The same argument could be had for Adam Gase. I won't say Gase was horrible because that would be an insult to the word horrible. Adam was was that bad. Look how bad Tannenhill was and then look at him now. Maybe the front office thought the same thing about Darnold. Maybe that's why they went after him.

Also I do agree that we should have kept Cam for his final year of his contract. I don't think we would have made the playoffs with Cam last year because our defense was bad. We just couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. I didn't like how they got rid of Cam but I do understand why. It's a new coaching staff. Cam was part of the old regime. They wanted to start fresh with a total rebuild and with a new QB.

I would have been ok if they traded only a 2nd for Darnold but now looking back on it, the Jet's fleeced us on that one. That's ok. You win some and you lose some. And I also in agreement with you that they should have never picked up his option immediately. I don't know why they did that. 

After our win against the Cardinals, I don't see how they go back to Sam. At this point, who would want Sam? If we trade him, we won't get back the compensation that we gave up to get him.

28 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Agreed.

Yeah I either wanted Trubisky or Gardner Minshew (like seriously, why isn't this man getting a chance ANYWHERE?) on a cheap 1 year prove it deal than trading 3 draft picks for Darnold. But like you said, we should have never gotten rid of Cam to start with. Cam FINALLY had his best weapons AND OC going into last year and we didn't even let him compete. Just threw the best player this organization has had to the curb and went with Teddy fuggin Bridgewater.