• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam's contract and our options

AU-panther

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

In your post you are talking about Sam as a rookie and him potentially being a long term guy for us. That isn't gonna happen.

This may very well be the last stop in Sam Darnold's NFL career.

Who knows with this staff what will happen. On one hand we keep PJ to develop but showed Bridgewater a quick exit. Remember those were Rhule's words not mine. Then again whether he talks guys up or not it doesnt seem to be related to whether they stay or not.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Who knows with this staff what will happen. On one hand we keep PJ to develop but showed Bridgewater a quick exit. Remember those were Rhule's words not mine. Then again whether he talks guys up or not it doesnt seem to be related to whether they stay or not.

I think there was obvious and building frustration about Sam during the last few press conferences. When that happened to Teddy, he was shown the door fairly quickly.

I agree that you never can tell with this staff but it does seem like when they change their minds on a player, they get shown the door fairly quickly.

I suspect they will try to move him and then they cut him towards camp as they find better backup options.

To me that is why you cut your losses. It's impossible to trust him in games anymore, so what use is he? 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think there was obvious and building frustration about Sam during the last few press conferences. When that happened to Teddy, he was shown the door fairly quickly.

I agree that you never can tell with this staff but it does seem like when they change their minds on a player, they get shown the door fairly quickly.

I suspect they will try to move him and then they cut him towards camp as they find better backup options.

To me that is why you cut your losses. It's impossible to trust him in games anymore, so what use is he? 

Then again if you can't move him and are paying 18 million already it makes little sense to cut him unless you dont think he deserves an inactive roster spot.

12 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Then again if you can't move him and are paying 18 million already it makes little sense to cut him unless you dont think he deserves an inactive roster spot.

We ditched Teddy and he was much better than Sam so it wouldn’t surprise me if we just straight up cut Sam.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think that's the thing, in a 17 game season without any "real" expansion of the roster, he probably isn't gonna make the final roster. Reference the fact we cut down to only 2 roster QB's for this season. He may end up the odd man out, $18.8 mil or not.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, firefox1234 said:

We ditched Teddy and he was much better than Sam so it wouldn’t surprise me if we just straight up cut Sam.

Is that how you see it? We got a 6th round pick and saved $4.5 million by trading Bridgewater. Much different than straight cutting Darnold with no picks or cap savings whatsoever. To me cutting him makes zero sense. If you can't trade him, at least keep him as your backup. Stupid to pay Darnold $18 million anyway and then have to pay for a backup qb on top of that. Just lighting money on fire. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Is that how you see it? We got a 6th round pick and saved $4.5 million by trading Bridgewater. Much different than straight cutting Darnold with no picks or cap savings whatsoever. To me cutting him makes zero sense. If you can't trade him, at least keep him as your backup. Stupid to pay Darnold $18 million anyway and then have to pay for a backup qb on top of that. Just lighting money on fire. 

We literally brought the guy back we tried to replace while still paying his replacements. We are way past that point of worrying about stuff like that….

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, firefox1234 said:

We literally brought the guy back we tried to replace while still paying his replacements. We are way past that point of worrying about stuff like that….

So the lesson is when you make a mistake that hurts your team, just keep compounding the mistake, cause like, you've already done worse, so who cares? It actually makes it a hell of a lot more important that we don't. We've wasted enough money on our QB situation.

But sure, let's go with your attitude. Why not sign Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins this offseason? We literally signed 2 QBs who failed at their last stops. We are way past the point of worrying about whether 2 more might fail.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 2