• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule comes across as fake

NAS

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

I disagree with you.  There should be accountability.  You don't have to rip into your players or coaches, but you don't have to lie either.  Fans deserves some level of honesty and accountability.  

How does publicly telling the media that your OC didn't do a good job improve the football team?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

This doesn't make any sense. 

You initially stated that the problem with Matt Rhule is that in press conferences, he gives out praise to players that behind the scenes, he does not mean.

Why would a player prefer their coach to throw them under the bus to the media?

But then in the post I just quoted, you seem to be implying that Rhule is intentionally saying false, negative things about his players.  What is an example of Matt Rhule saying outright false, negative things about his players?  

I'm actually very curious.  You are a smart guy.  But I have no clue what you are getting at, because you are saying two different things.  The first post you said Rhule was giving too much praise in press conferences that he didn't mean... I'm not sure in what rationale you think players would prefer to get thrown under the bus in public. 

You don't think players are pissed about their coach publicly going overboard healing praise on them only to soon thereafter get cut? You don't think they still have friends on the team and voice those displeasures? Work environments are work environments and the same politics, rumors, and BS exist across the board. Just because these guys make millions of dollars to play a game doesn't mean that basic human psychology ceases to exist.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't think players are pissed about their coach publicly going overboard healing praise on them only to soon thereafter get cut? 

What are all these examples of players who were given an "overboard" amount of praise in public only to be cut after?

Cam Newton and who else?

Also hilarious how we are supposed to believe in this narrative that players hate how Matt Rhule gives them too much praise in the media (lol) and yet the biggest example of this is probably Cam Newton... who re-signed here.  

We've never heard or seen any report of players turning against Matt Rhule, which would be something that would easily leak it considering it leaks out damn near with any team where the players start to hate the HC (see: Miami).

But yeah... the players hate the praise Rhule gives them in the media.  They'd much rather him talk bad about them.  Makes sense.

Edited by Mage

It’s not about being honest with the fanbase, we won’t win him football games.

It’s about being honest with players…

I posted this in another thread but this is what Rhule said when asked about the possibility that he might leave Temple.

“This is hard man,” Rhule said back in 2015, via a CBS News affiliate in Philadelphia. “This is really, really hard. People start coming to your door and say hey, ‘I got four million dollars.’ But you know what, I’d rather coach Temple’s kids. I love these kids. I’d rather coach here and coach Temple’s kids then just sell my soul for four million dollars. That is the truth and that’s as honest and open as I can be with you guys.”

That’s as honest as you can be? Hell, Hugh Freeze was more honest when asked about the opportunity to leave Liberty to go back to the SEC stating that he loved Liberty but there were a few jobs he’d consider… A guy that most believe is one of the sleaziest coaches in college football managed to answer the question more truthfully than Rhule…

Unfortunately that’s not all… you have this lovely text that he sent to his Baylor players AFTER he had already decided to leave.

If we need to go even further we can talk about “how excited” he was to work with Cam before kicking him to the curb.

He doesn’t have to be honest with us but be honest to your team.

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s not about being honest with the fanbase, we won’t win him football games.

It’s about being honest with players…

I posted this in another thread but this is what Rhule said when asked about the possibility that he might leave Temple.

“This is hard man,” Rhule said back in 2015, via a CBS News affiliate in Philadelphia. “This is really, really hard. People start coming to your door and say hey, ‘I got four million dollars.’ But you know what, I’d rather coach Temple’s kids. I love these kids. I’d rather coach here and coach Temple’s kids then just sell my soul for four million dollars. That is the truth and that’s as honest and open as I can be with you guys.”

That’s as honest as you can be? Hell, Hugh Freeze was more honest when asked about the opportunity to leave Liberty to go back to the SEC stating that he loved Liberty but there were a few jobs he’d consider… A guy that most believe is one of the sleaziest coaches in college football managed to answer the question more truthfully than Rhule…

Unfortunately that’s not all… you have this lovely text that he sent to his Baylor players AFTER he had already decided to leave.

If we need to go even further we can talk about “how excited” he was to work with Cam before kicking him to the curb.

He doesn’t have to be honest with us but be honest to your team.

He obviously told a bald faced lie to the media. How did his players react afterwards? Can you link to anything on their reaction when he went to Baylor 3 days later? I would think there would be some kind of documented backlash from this after reading your post, the article, etc. What was said to the players behind closed doors? Surely that has leaked by now, right?

Hassan Reddick was on that team, btw. Why did he come play for Rhule here in Carolina after Rhule did him dirty like that at Temple? Why has nobody asked him this?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Hassan Reddick was on that team, btw. Why did he come play for Rhule here in Carolina after Rhule did him dirty like that at Temple? Why has nobody asked him this?

Exactly.  Nobody gives a damn about what a HC says to the media unless said coach is disrespecting the player in public, which is not what Rhule has done.  

It is asinine the stock that people on this forum put in meaningless press conferences that only happen because it is required of the head coach.  Rhule left Temple to go to a bigger school and make more money.  So what.  Why would a player be mad at him for that? 

26 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

He obviously told a bald faced lie to the media. How did his players react afterwards? Can you link to anything on their reaction when he went to Baylor 3 days later? I would think there would be some kind of documented backlash from this after reading your post, the article, etc. What was said to the players behind closed doors? Surely that has leaked by now, right?

Hell not even just Reddick but several former players. Hell even Cam himself who was talked up then released and now back again and is espousing Rhule rhetoric in his own pressers.

44 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

There’s no documented backlash because college players aren’t interviewed as much as NFL players are and at that point why even speak on someone who is no longer a part of your program? A college player speaking out on a former coach isn’t a good look. Not to mention, the players that are being interviewed are seniors or team captains who are on their way out, not the players that were just recruited and now feel betrayed by a coach who said he wasn’t leaving.

And no… the decision didn’t effect Reddick. Reddick graduated in 2016, Matt Rhule became the head coach of Baylor in 2017. So in essence, Reddick had $13.5M reasons why he wouldn’t care about Rhule leaving.

Matt Rhule could be a fine person for all we know. Maybe he treats people differently and says things to his players differently behind closed doors.

Unfortunately for him, all we have to go off of is what he says in the press and to this point none of it has been truthful.

Edited by MillionDollarCam